andreios

WW Talent Swapping and Off Specs

7 posts in this topic

So I've been reading a lot about swapping talents around for single-target vs AoE fights.  This was not something I'd ever practiced much, but I recently decided tos tart trying it out and the benefits, predictably, are great.  However, it brings up a couple of questions for me that I hope the more experienced players here can clear up for me.

1) When considering what situations require talent switches, are you looking only at boss fights or also the trash along the way?  If both, which is preferred for trash?  I would think an AoE setup would be sort of a default, only changing to single target for bosses.  But that seems like a lot of tome-costly switching, leading to my second question:

2) I currently have Brewmaster as my off-spec, and I hope to learn how to play it decently enough to be of raid utility in a pinch.  But with the concept of changing three talents every time I switch from a single-target to a multi-target situation, it seems like I will be consuming many tomes.  Now that's not a huge problem as they are pretty cheap (especially with Inscription) but it did lead me to wonder:  how many of you use your off-spec for another actual spec, vs. using one as a single-target setup and the other as multi-target?

Thanks for your help! 

1.5gold per boss. The gold drop from ONE boss would pay for a months worth of talent swaps. 

I've never seen someone use double spec for that reasons. Sounds like a really silly reason.

Boss is all that matters. If I am set up for AoE I'll stay AoE for trash, if I need AoE on the next boss I'll set up for AoE for trash. But I never change JUST for trash.

There is no reason to be cheap. I always run around with 200 tomes on me at least and keep my repair mounts ready to supply me with more if needed.

Monk is a nice class that rewards players for picking the proper talents for each fight, both offensively and defensively.

Even the mobility skills can be switched around depending on the fight.

Like there's fights where you as a DPS dont need to move a lot but some ranged might, so keeping tigers lust ready for them can be really nice.

Thanks for the tips.  One follow-up question:  When considering whether to set for single-target or multi-target, would the presence of adds be a consideration for mulit-target?  Or would it only be for a fight where there are multiple bosses, i.e. the twin orgron? 

Depends on the fight. "adds" like the adds on Garrosh I wouldn't spec multi target for. "Adds" like the adds in Brackenspore or Tectus I would spec multi target for.

It depends on how long the adds are up, how important they are to kill, and weather or not it is part of your job to do so.

Okay, so now I have a technical question related to this.  So I had Chi Brew and Serenity on my (default UI) action bars, and switched to Asc/ChiEx.  But then on any kind of UI reload (like porting back from a dungeon), the now useless buttons drop off, so that when I switch back I have to put the buttons back on my action bars.  Not exactly game-breaking or anything, but it is pretty annoying.  Is there any way to prevent that from happening?  Something that Bartender can fix?  (I do have BT4 downloaded but haven't had the time/inclination to mess with it yet.)  Thanks!

/cast [talent:3/1] Ring of Frost; [talent:3/2] Ice Ward; [talent:3/3] Frostjaw

That should do it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Violentravi
      Hello,
      Adelante is currently recruiting DPS & Heals, however, all competent players will be considered.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 8/10N NH 4/7M EN and 3/3H TOV.  As far as classes go we do not have a Moonkin, Mage, Feral Druid, or any type of Monk. We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 7:00 PM until 11:00 PM Eastern.  Thursday is not considered a raid night, but we will often clear Heroic and Normal on this evening for AP and it is not required. We are pushing progression on Il'gynoth, and look forward to finishing off EN then moving on to Nighthold, we will be intermittently working on Mythic TOV.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that, if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
       If you are interested, you can either reply to this thread and link your most recent combat logs for review, make a character on our realm and inbox me, or hit me up on real ID (violentravi#1826).  Alternatively, if you are old school, please apply via our website:  http://www.adelante-guild.com
      Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho & the Guild
    • By Browed
      I will NOT be using BoS in 7.1.5...  why?
      http://www.wowhead.com/item=132459/perseverance-of-the-ebon-martyr
      Build:
      http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/death-knight/frost/cj7z
      Basically with the combination of Gathering Storm (extended RW) and fitting more Rime into that time period I'm hoping that my M+ hybrid spec will remain competitive and the sims thus far seem to support the theory.
      If you have the helm too, grats! and look forward to the major increase in it's power with Freezing Fog +30% and Tier 19 based around more Rime and more RP from Rime we should see many viable builds popping up on logs. **Stay with FP for now until you have T19 x 2 - see updated build link ^^
      Why not BoS and Hungering? ... well, I'm looking for big Rime crits and don't fancy the long CD to manage. I also want to remain powerful in M+ which should be the case with this build... I'm pretty sure I can become more useful with Winter is Coming + extended RW... stunning mobs for the whole of PoF uptime.
      Obliteration will be used to maximise rune spam for Gathering Storm.
      Lets hear your thoughts?
    • By dooie112
      hey guys i wanted to know if you guys can help me with my self made monk:  tempest rush build. this is my first time posting  but i really enjoy this build just need some help with tweeking it. this is how it is now:
      to start you need the full sunwukoset and the legendary daibo: balance, also you need the sweeping wind belt kyoshiro's soul to make this work a little
      further i am running with crudest boots for increased spirit regen and nemisis bracers becuase i dont know what else to use. rings i am also stuck with i just took the rings that had the best stats (dex, chc, chd) as far as gems go i have 3 max diamonds in my chest and 2 max emeralds in my pants i have 1 max amethyst in my helm for more life and ofc 1 max emerald in weopon . legendary gems i use are taeguk (for increased damage and toughness), gem of efficacious toxin for increased damage and redused damage taken. the thirt gem im not sure what to use so i wnet for mirnea teardrop of the starweaver for a bit of healing but im thinking bane of the trapped is way more effective.
      in the cube im running with vengefull wind for more stacks of sweeping wind, mantle of channeling for increased damage and toughnessand convention of elements for that bit of extra damage.
      skills:
      the main skill is tempest rush with the rune northern breeze cuz it reduce spirit cost and increase damage big time
      im using blinding flash for more damage, the other skills are pure for spirit regen and defense: epiphany with desertshroud for more toughness mystic ally with air ally for spirit regen (doubles cuz of crudest boots), sweeping wind for regen and defense ( second set bonus of sunwuko), mantra of healing with boon of insiration als o for spirit regen.
      the passives was kinda hard for me to choose so i went with: harmony cuz a monk cant survive without it exalted soul for more spirit regen, momentum for more damage becuase your always moving and determination also for more damage.
      this is how it kinda looks i left the rings open cuz i dont know wich one to use: http://www.d3planner.com/117539347

• By Rambobulba
      Hi, im new to sub rouge, i respec from outlaw when i saw changes :))) love blizz, but now im at first hard choice, which talent (gloomblade is now getting a buff) is now most stabilized from lvl 15 stage, gloomblade, weapon master or master of subtlety?
      And to the secondary stats. I changed my items and put everywhere masterygems and enchants. But now i see that if i have too low versa i should add few gems or smth to get it to more %. What are the GOOD stats for sub rouge? I have 98% mastery with 375 food 6% versa 34% crit and 5% haste.
      PLX halp wanna respec to be atleast decent in items to nighthold
      Forgot to add, im mostly PVE player but i sometimes play pvp for AP/fun, so i think 10% versa is minimum for pvp but pve? 6% enough or should i get more and lower the mastery
      Ah and from legends, i use Ravenholdt insignia with prydaz>sephuz becouse of a lot mastery it gives (haste isnt that necessery)
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/burning-legion/Rambobulba/simple
    • By Frontright
      Hi All
      Thank you upfront for the support. It has helped me a lot reading other people's post too. I need some help with my WW DPS please. 
      Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twilights-hammer/Hëisenberg/advanced
      Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HDxPTYthcN6JZqj1#type=damage-done&fight=1&source=5
      I have also been on the Walking the Wind website and used that as a supplement. Rotation: FSP Kick in, TP > TOD > SEF > RSK > EE + FoF > SotWL > WDP > TP > RSK (not sure after this but probably TP > BK > TP > FoF to capitalize on the second FoF while SEF is still up from Drinking Horn).
      I've started to focus on making sure that I have chi available soon as FoF or RSK or SotWL comes off CD. In the past I wasn't watching and would be starved for Chi at the last second and have to TP which is a DPS loss. But I'm still not sure why I am underperforming so much. Also please let me know what I am doing right and should keep doing. 
      Any help will be appreciated. Thank you and have a great Christmas!