FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
numlock14

Demo question about "Doom" dot

Hey all

So we all know Demo has shown up as the FOTW spec so I thought I would check it out

it's very far from AFF but it is fun.

My question is regarding "Doom" when I'm Reading Simcraft it shows doom as my #1 damage? but when I am running Skada it shows up as #7 on my spell damage list

So that being said can some one explain to me - How doom works and why is it showing up as the #1 damage per excecute time on Simulation craft ?

This is more of a mechanic question more than a personal Log question

Also side note I found if I just cast doom on a target dummy it deals no damage over the full course of the dot But if I cast doom then pair it with corruption it starts to deal damage ?

Any ways hope this post makes sense

Thanks ALL!!!

Well I believe the #1 that you are referring to is not your highest source of damage but says  Damage Per Execute TIme (DPeT), right? 

This is a calculation of:     damage / cast time 

So this is kind of efficiency of time and what your priorities will (probably) be. 

So for Doom you're getting a lot of "bang for your buck" compared to something like Shadowbolt (SB) which is lot lot less damage for a higher cast time.

The reason it is so low on your damage meter is because it last 60 seconds you will only be using it say 7 times per fight (depending on length). If you go down on the SimulationCraft results page to the Abilities section it shows how your damage is split up and that is what should be similar to your damage meter. 

Does this make more sense? 

I tried out Doom on a dummy and it is working fine for me. Are you aware that it only ticks every say 15 seconds (reduced a bit by haste)? You will not see that many ticks. I think 4 and a partial one over a course of a minute. Was this perhaps this issue? Was your damage meter still seeing you as being in combat? Doom is not connected to Corruption and therefore there should be no correlation in it working or not but you may have to say Doom then SB a bit for your damage meter to realise that you're still fighting.   

Edited by spikeysquad

Hey all

So we all know Demo has shown up as the FOTW spec so I thought I would check it out

it's very far from AFF but it is fun.

My question is regarding "Doom" when I'm Reading Simcraft it shows doom as my #1 damage? but when I am running Skada it shows up as #7 on my spell damage list

So that being said can some one explain to me - How doom works and why is it showing up as the #1 damage per excecute time on Simulation craft ?

This is more of a mechanic question more than a personal Log question

Also side note I found if I just cast doom on a target dummy it deals no damage over the full course of the dot But if I cast doom then pair it with corruption it starts to deal damage ?

Any ways hope this post makes sense

Thanks ALL!!!

Probably due to a Skada quirk.  Since Doom ticks every 15 seconds - Skada may consider you not in combat during that period of time if Doom is the only thing going on.  

Probably due to a Skada quirk.  Since Doom ticks every 15 seconds - Skada may consider you not in combat during that period of time if Doom is the only thing going on.  

Nope.  The OP doesn't know the difference between damage and DPeT.

Nope.  The OP doesn't know the difference between damage and DPeT.

I'm not talking about that part of his question.  I was referring to his sidenote at the end about Doom not showing up on a training dummy. 

HI ! wow that's a lot more responses than I was expecting

yes I believe the issue was skada quirking and taking me out of combat - TY for that observation  yes I did see its divided that's why it was so weird for me skada was not even picking up the 15 second ticks -

also thanks for clearing up the dpet completely clear now