FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Spinandwin

[MW] Fistweaving Section Could Use an update

TL;DR at the bottom

Disclaimer

First of all I'm just a guy who derps around with fistweaving and disagreeing with anything I've put here is perfectly fine. My information on Chi Explosion basically just came from me sifting through logs on Mythic Butcher in prep for our progress on him, and testing it myself in Normal / Heroic.

So anyway.

The fistweaving section of this guide needs to be updated to mention the buffs (Cranes Zeal / Tiger Power) & the section should also imply some kind of priority. 

Cranes Zeal especially is hugely important if you're using fistweaving on pull to build up stacks. Tiger Power has no utility for mana regen but should obviously be applied for the extra damage, and healing by extension.

Basically for Chi Generation it's:

• Vital Mist Procs > Expel Harm > Jab (Best mana)

OR   

• Jab Spam (Best damage - potentially better where you're fistweaving to beat an enrage & not for mana)

& For spending Chi (spec'd Pool of Mists) it's:

Blackout Kick (To apply or maintain Cranes Zeal) > Tiger Palm (To apply or Maintain Tiger Power) > Rising Sun Kick > Extra Blackout Kicks

There's an entirely different build with crane stance and Chi Explosion in which you never leave crane stance that is currently being used by some monks, particularly on butcher mythic. Here's a monk doing 17k dps and 52k hps purely through fistweaving with ChiEx 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6KCNGpvhRAJWQLkX#fight=3&type=healing&source=26

(These aren't my logs I just pulled it off the top DPS ranks for MW on butcher). 

This is probably the most viable fistweaving option we've had since Jab Jab Uplift (t14)

It breaks down Approx 50-70% the healing of a dedicated healer, 30-40% the damage of a dedicated DPS. Presuming you don't overheal like crazy with ChiEx. Which is it's major downfall & difficulty. It's strength on Mythic butcher comes from the fact that it will hit both groups & that it will barely overheal due to the massive damage on the melee groups on that fight in mythic. Obviously in serpent stance you can achieve the same results with RJW (8 yard range, can also reach both groups) so there are 2 vastly different playstyles for that fight being used right now between ChiEx Vs RJW/Uplift.

For ChiEx with Crane stance

Chi Generation

• Vital Mists > Jab (Since you rarely exit crane stance you will never go oom, expel harm is made redundant and situational only)

If you're specing RJW to stance swap and spin during heavy damage phases you might want to consider bringing it back in. Not 100% on that.

Spending Chi

• ChiEX (To apply or maintain Cranes Zeal) > Tiger Palm (To apply or Maintain Tiger Power

Unlike pool of mists Fistweaving ChiEx is much more reactive. Whether you apply ChiEx (4 Chi) or RSK next is fairly situational. You'll only be using ChiEx at 4 chi and if the group is topped it will do massive overhealing so RSK is a higher damage but lower healing alternative. That being said you should obviously try to keep the debuff active if possible. ChiEx spam takes priority over that debuff if there's heavy damage.

• When using ChiEx at 4 Chi you want to follow up immediately after with Detonate Chi. Painfully, this is on global and costs mana. To minimise Detonates mana and global usage you can do ChiEx (4 Chi) > Build up Chi > ChiEx (4 Chi) > Detonate Chi. The spheres last for 15 seconds so essentially you can use one detonate for every 2 ChiEx's. So 16 spheres detonated instead of 8. It's a nice thing to set up if you know you're going to need to burst soon. Yes our mastery is awful. But the burst from those spheres is immense.

Anyway. That's everything I've learned spamming normal and heroic mode with that play style in the last 2 days. Personally I've been getting about 15k dps / 25-35k hps @ 674 gear doing this depending on the fight. Which I think is around about the numbers fistweaving should be doing to be considered balanced. So maybe if some people picked mistweaver to be a melee healer they might find the information I've gathered mucking about useful. But as you can see from the butcher mythic log I linked it can indeed be quite insane. Like I said when you only use it @ 4 chi and use detonate chi it's output can't be questioned it's genuinely massive. But overhealing is it's downfall or at least in my limited PUG spamming it has been. Would be interested if anyone has tried it or has any info.

I don't think it needs a giant wall of text in the guide but ChiEx should get a mention in the Fistweaving section for those looking for info on how to only Fistweave heal on a fight - This is the only viable talent and playstyle to do that reasonably well right now.

For your convenience I've made a TL;DR version:

Please update the fistweaving section. At least to include Cranes Zeal because that is just hugely important... & give ChiEx a mention ty. smile.png

Edited by Spinandwin

I am very new to monk heal but I like unconventional gameplays. So ever thought about using Jade Lightning? I know its expensive in terms of mana, but in the Chi-generation subsection of ChipExp+Crane Stance section you mention, that you will "never" go oom. And it gives you 4 chi within 1,5 seconds! Together with ChiExp and Detonate Chi that sounds like an insane burst. Theoretically you could make the spheres of 5-6 ChiExp detonate at once! However spamming makes you probably oom even in Crane stance. But if mana really is not a problem at a point, it should be an option every once in a while, right?

I am very new to monk heal but I like unconventional gameplays. So ever thought about using Jade Lightning? I know its expensive in terms of mana, but in the Chi-generation subsection of ChipExp+Crane Stance section you mention, that you will "never" go oom. And it gives you 4 chi within 1,5 seconds! Together with ChiExp and Detonate Chi that sounds like an insane burst. Theoretically you could make the spheres of 5-6 ChiExp detonate at once! However spamming makes you probably oom even in Crane stance. But if mana really is not a problem at a point, it should be an option every once in a while, right?

Yeh for burst it would be insane. Dunno if mana regen is so good in crane that you could afford the 38k mana though, that's a pretty huge amount. But in an emergency where people are about to die, maybe

Edited by Spinandwin

I am new to MW healing and as far as reading the guide I expteced crane stance to be a stance that nobody used. When raiding I don't think I ever used crane maybe only to start a fight. Thanks for this post I will definately be giving this method a try now. Of all the guides I look at none talk about how and when to use

Spirited crane stance

I am new to MW healing and as far as reading the guide I expteced crane stance to be a stance that nobody used. When raiding I don't think I ever used crane maybe only to start a fight. Thanks for this post I will definately be giving this method a try now. Of all the guides I look at none talk about how and when to use

Spirited crane stance

You should be fistweaving on pull or when you get the chance on long fights since it's actually mana positive. Lets you put mana tea in the bank without losing mana. As for chi explosion try it out on butcher/gruul (any fight where the raid is stacked near melee). It's weaker than mistweaving for sure but still pretty fun / unique and viable for now anyway. Not sure what the state of it will be in 6.1. It got a nerf :(