FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
HollyC

Readying for the Proving Grounds

I'm up to 610 ilvl on my Warlock and I'm starting to make plans for taking the Proving Grounds test. I passed them on my shaman, although I had to do a couple of fights twice. Remembering the challenges presented to me, I know that my current fight strats are not going to work.

I've been straight affliction since Wrath, and it has served me well. But even with the Cataclysm talent, I'm not going to be able to dish out the kind of AoE I'm going to need to pass the Proving Grounds, particularly with a silver rating. I also have no interrupts except for my Observer's interrupt, and when I have to bring down a number of mobs with two healers, if I interrupt one and the other one begins casting a heal immediately while my Observer's interrupt is on cooldown, I'm back at square one.

I know I'm going to have to do some serious practice with Demonology and/or Destruction to prepare for the Proving Grounds. I'm posting here to ask how all of you handled these tests. What spec gave you an easier time? What did you use for AoE? The 'guardian' mobs that deflect attacks not coming from behind? How did you keep healers interrupted?

I was able to do this on my enhancement shaman, but for my warlock, I'm going to need to adapt. How did some of you handle the Proving Grounds?

As an aside, if I do any raiding at all, it's probably not going to be anything harder than LFR. I just don't have the time for harder, and I'm not in the right guild for it, and I don't have the mental fortitude to tolerate "fail everyone except me." I did a bare minimum of LFR for MSV and HoF back in MoP, and hardly touched any raiding during Cataclysm. I'm looking to do the Proving Grounds now, if for no other reason, than to know I can.

My tried and true affliction, however, isn't going to be HOW. So I'm coming here for some advice and suggestions. How did you tackle the Proving Grounds?

EDIT: My warlock, though not having the enchanting skill, has an enchanters' study for her garrison. The study offers me one weapon enchant for my staff: Mark of the Shattered Hand (http://www.wowhead.com/item=112093/enchant-weapon-mark-of-the-shattered-hand). Is this useful for a spellcaster?

Edited by HollyC

I did as destruction, mainly cause you can havoc so you can dmg two targets at the same time, and also cause of the fire and brimstone aoe. Even though affliction is my big love, I don't think it's viable here cause of the lack of aoe and i think you'll have trouble with the packs of little virmen. Then again, up til silver it might work, I haven't tried it.

I did notice that I had a harder time as destruction now than I had in MoP. Back then I completed endless wave 30 as destruction, now I'm wondering if destro is still the best spec for that.

As for the interrupt, you are forgetting your stun (shadowfury), which will also work on interrupting them. So if they start casting you can silence one with your observer and the other one with your stun.

I'm also pretty sure that fear will work on them, so you could fear one at the start to buy some time and work on the other one.

And yes, that enchant is also useful for casters. You wouldn't think from the description, but it also procs for casters. Not sure if it can proc in proven grounds though.

Edited by Redlady

I did it as Destro too as I don't think personally I could have done it with Affliction. I can't really remember Silver as I did gold more recently but the talents I went with for that was Shadowfury, GoSup, KJC, Cata and the eyeball. As to whether they are the best I have no clue but it worked for me. Have you tried Cata with Aff? If AoE is your biggest issue but not sure though if the one minute cool down is enough. 

PG is all about tactics really and getting the right target down/interrupted at the right time. Make good use of the amber cases, kill the most annoying things first, use Havoc on CD and get your 2 interrupts used. Otherwise it is practice, practice, practice. 

Yeah that enchant is decent. It is basically our cheap one. The other would be a proc one (I use Mastery) but that is expensive. 

Good luck. 

Destruction Cataclysm is ridiculously OP in proving Grounds (maybe for other specs as well)  If you can clear a wave fast enough, you can start casting a few seconds before the next wave comes up so it will go off right when the mobs spawn.  it will one shot most of them, and anything still standing will be close to dead (the DoTS may finish them off). 

This stuff is possible as Aff, just a bit harder. I did my PG as Destro in ~600 gear w/out Cata, only issue was ember stuns because i was like "wtf how it works"

Cataclysm, as mentioned, is awesome, even for the Affliction.
Don't forget neither of your buttons. Familiarize yourself with them, as the game has changed and our arsenal aswell.
Learn the waves and position yourself accordingly, for shielding mobs and those pesky stunners. 
Think ahead - it's an invaluable ability that worth twice for Warlocks.

An awesome thing against those healer mobs - our PvP all-star, Fear. It works and it's still awesome.

Thanks for all the input; I have one more question.

Right now all my high end gear is heavy haste and mastery, which are the primary affliction secondary stats. Both Demonology and Destruction, however, favor Critical Strike, which is the lowest priority in Affliction. Will I need to acquire a secondary gear set with different secondary stats?

Thanks for all the input; I have one more question.

Right now all my high end gear is heavy haste and mastery, which are the primary affliction secondary stats. Both Demonology and Destruction, however, favor Critical Strike, which is the lowest priority in Affliction. Will I need to acquire a secondary gear set with different secondary stats?

Mastery is the best stat for Demonology, and is first or second or Destruction.  Haste  isn't that bad either.  Overall the stats are pretty well balanced for warlocks.  It shouldn't be a problem.