FORUMS
Damien

Basic Rogue Deck

7 hours ago, Guest Trennung said:

Bad move in the long run?

Are you going to hit Legend? No. Does it matter? No.

The changes you have made are fine and, as long as they are working as you had hoped, I see no problems.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Guest Trennung said:

To summarize:

Things I removed:

1. Bloodfen Raptor x2
  2. Boulderfist Ogre x2
  3. Assassin's Blade x2
  4. Shattered Sun Cleric x2
  5. Razorfen Hunter x1

Things I included:

1. Swashburglar x2
  2. Bloodsail Raider x2
  3. Deadly Fork x2
  4. Stranglethorn Tiger x1
  5. Ravenholdt Assassin x1
  6. Prince Malchezaar x1

Ravenholdt Assassin is just not good enough stat-wise (stat distribution and stats-per-mana) and you should play Boulderfist Ogre instead. If you find the deck to be too inconsistent, swap Prince Malchezaar for a second Boulderfist Ogre.

@BlainieWhen a new player buys a pack, it has much more value than for us, the "veterans". Now, every third victory means 10g. This means that a victory for a new player is quite important step in building a collection. Coupled with ranked rewards, it actually does matter in the long run.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Ravenholdt Assassin is just not good enough stat-wise (stat distribution and stats-per-mana) and you should play Boulderfist Ogre instead. If you find the deck to be too inconsistent, swap Prince Malchezaar for a second Boulderfist Ogre.

Aren't players at lower ranks more likely to use the standard removal of their classes? So wouldn't Ravenholdt be more likely to survive a turn vs. an Ogre? I feel like they'd be more likely to include things like 2x Mind Control for Priest, 2x Hunter's Mark for Hunter etc., because they don't have the necessary cards to fill the slots.

7 hours ago, Blainie said:

Aren't players at lower ranks more likely to use the standard removal of their classes? So wouldn't Ravenholdt be more likely to survive a turn vs. an Ogre? I feel like they'd be more likely to include things like 2x Mind Control for Priest, 2x Hunter's Mark for Hunter etc., because they don't have the necessary cards to fill the slots.

I just played standard at rank 18-19 (beast control rogue actually does not work). I have seen only one and a half budget deck, the rest was regular zoo, face hunters or tempo mages - the meta was very aggressive and nobody played cards like Mind ControlStarfire and similar cards known for being in low budget decks. Players that run these cards have been pushed to rank 20. The extra one mana in the cost of Ravenholdt Assassin is quite significant and since it has only 5 health, it is basically unusable. If the meta was control-heavy, then I could see one Ravenholdt Assassin finding his way to the deck, but not in current meta, sadly.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2016 at 6:05 PM, positiv2 said:

I just played standard at rank 18-19 (beast control rogue actually does not work). 

It sounds like you have more on-hands experience with those ranks, so I'll trust in your judgement! ;D

• Like 1

Guest Futrzak

Hi! I' pretty new in HS. I chose to play rogue just like in WoW. I've been playing for about 4-5 days and I'm following basic deck suggested by Sottle. I'm losing almost every game :-( Here are a few of my observations: I feel that i dont have enough taunts. I feel that attacking minions on table with my daggers is kind of suicide, clearing table with this is leading to have low hp but author stated that I should have my daggers up and I shouldn't attack enemy hero. So why everybody attacks me and not my minions? I'm getting nuked if I dont have aby kind of taunt card up.... Maybe i should go for minions with low attack and low hp with my daggers and go for hero if I got the chance and he's not having full of minions on table. Any advices for newbie like me? 

Moreover, why I do I need 2 cidic oozes against heroes with no weapon? Isnt it useless against mage, lock, hunter?

1 hour ago, Guest Futrzak said:

Hi! I' pretty new in HS. I chose to play rogue just like in WoW. I've been playing for about 4-5 days and I'm following basic deck suggested by Sottle. I'm losing almost every game :-( Here are a few of my observations: I feel that i dont have enough taunts. I feel that attacking minions on table with my daggers is kind of suicide, clearing table with this is leading to have low hp but author stated that I should have my daggers up and I shouldn't attack enemy hero. So why everybody attacks me and not my minions? I'm getting nuked if I dont have aby kind of taunt card up.... Maybe i should go for minions with low attack and low hp with my daggers and go for hero if I got the chance and he's not having full of minions on table. Any advices for newbie like me? 

Moreover, why I do I need 2 cidic oozes against heroes with no weapon? Isnt it useless against mage, lock, hunter?

The only solid free (dust-wise) taunt is Sen'jin Shieldmasta - the other taunts are simply too bad. You can add Second-Rate Bruiser to have more taunts, but it is not in the basic set, which is why we cannot include it. You can also add Mistress of Mixtures or Earthen Ring Farseer to heal back up.
From what I've seen, very new players tend to double- or even triple-attack to kill a minion, which is a misplay. You most often want to take a single-hit trade - minions with one health - or use the dagger to pop a divine shield. You should almost never want to attack multiple times just to kill a minion (though there are simply too many exceptions, such as Argent Squire or, to some extent, Possessed Villager).
You could upload a replay and I could tell you what you're doing wrong.

A 3/2 that can also sometimes destroy a weapon is a good card in your deck - think of it as a better Bloodfen Raptor. If you are against druid, mage, priest or warlock, you want to drop it as a 3/2. If you are against any other class, saving it for a weapon is often the best option.

• Thanks 1

Guest Quineloe

congrats, not updating the 0 cost deck for the new year, and the cheapest deck is 5k.

No love for casual players it seems.

1 hour ago, Guest Quineloe said:

congrats, not updating the 0 cost deck for the new year, and the cheapest deck is 5k.

The deck literally cost nothing to make so what exactly are you wanting to see changed? It's hard to get your point across with sarcasm. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Guest Quineloe said:

This is a basic deck  - It's the best basic deck you can make, since Basic Cards are never added to the game.

On 25.06.2017 at 8:53 AM, SithLordOfSnark said:

This is a basic deck  - It's the best basic deck you can make, since Basic Cards are never added to the game.

Yeah, but there are also tips for replacement cards - but sadly only for classic set and (at the moment) wild... It's would be VERY nice and helpful to novices like me, if we could build just basic deck and have tips to gradually improve this with cards we are getting from other packs like Un'Goro etc. :) Not only for Rogue of course.

44 minutes ago, GWJ said:

Yeah, but there are also tips for replacement cards - but sadly only for classic set and (at the moment) wild... It's would be VERY nice and helpful to novices like me, if we could build just basic deck and have tips to gradually improve this with cards we are getting from other packs like Un'Goro etc. :) Not only for Rogue of course.

The basic deck lists haven't been updated to reflect the newer sets yet, I'll pass it on the guide writers. If you need any advise though, feel free to ask. :) 

The swap section will not be updated. There are way too many strong replacements for the cards in this deck, and writing them down would make that section longer than the rest of the guide, and would also take way too much time. We left some of the adventure cards as recommendations, but will not be adding any more cards.

Instead, we recommend you to check other decks and see what cards they have in common, ask other players for recommendations (which, again, might be too long to list), or simply start building towards a single deck, and craft cards that you are missing from the decks and put them in place of cards you feel are the weakest.

The most important cards to get are Eviscerate and Cold Blood. After you have those cards, decide on what deck you want and start building towards it. Once you have selected your "dream deck", we can help you further with your crafting priorities.

• Like 1

Guest Dara

Works surprisingly well for a basic deck. A good base to build from

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guest Dara said:

Works surprisingly well for a basic deck. A good base to build from

We are glad you like it. :) 

• Like 1

Guest Dara

Very much so! Thanks for your effort on making this deck guide, oh and by working surprisingly well I'm talking about occasionally downing even meta decks with proper epics/legendarys etc.

Obviously as a base deck it'll always be an underdog compared to those with mostly superior cards but I don't think you can go much better than this with a 0 budget. So once again, good stuff!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guest Dara said:

Very much so! Thanks for your effort on making this deck guide, oh and by working surprisingly well I'm talking about occasionally downing even meta decks with proper epics/legendarys etc.

Obviously as a base deck it'll always be an underdog compared to those with mostly superior cards but I don't think you can go much better than this with a 0 budget. So once again, good stuff!

Some basic decks in the right hands can do some damage and since I've played this one before I can say this one is one of my favorites as well. As far as basic decks go I have also had fun with our Basic Mage.

2 hours ago, rdubbz said:

If i have blade flurry do i use it instead of fok ? i dont understand when they say expert set ?

You can swap it yeah. But I don't think it is such a good idea. FoK is card draw, and doesn't remove your weapon. It is cheaper too. Flurry is only good if you applied Deadly Poison to your deck, and even then, it is better to keep buffed weapon as it is a threat to minions your opponent can play. Flurry works with very strong weapon buffs in general, such as Tinker's Sharpsword Oil.

Edited by FanOfValeera
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 2:28 PM, positiv2 said:

The swap section will not be updated.

I fully understand and support that. With a new expansion being available every 4 months, and 9 basic decks, that would be a never-ending task. As an expert player, I'm sure your time is better spent elsewhere. Swap options for newer expansions can be discussed in the forum itself.

That being said, I think you should remove the older expansions from the swap section, and only mention cards from the Classic set (which rarely changes, so no or little work needed to keep that up-to-date). I don't think that listing old cards has any value, as nobody would play a basic deck, even slightly improved, in Wild format. Basic decks are meant for new players, which by definition do not own old cards. As a new player, reading this swap section as it exists today is somewhat frustrating, and almost an invitation to ask for that section to be updated (which I have seen repeatedly in this forum), especially when the changelog mentions that it has happened before. Omitting old cards would make the swap section shorter too, allowing new players to jump into action faster.

• Like 2