Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Azurelife

Question on Shadow Reflection

4 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about Shadow Reflection and how it interacts with Rupture. When Shadow Reflection casts Rupture it puts on a version that should last ~30 seconds, but as soon as your Shadow Reflection is finished, the Rupture that it applied is removed.

Am I wrong in thinking that having your shadow apply rupture is a waste and you should instead spend the combo points to cast another envenom since it will be a larger damage spike? Granted, if you need to refresh Rupture during Shadow Reflection there is no avoiding it, but it just seems like a waste to get ~4 ticks of rupture out.

It honestly depends on your spec.

You should be using Rupture during SR as Subtelty, as it'll benefit from your Sanguinary Vein (and since you should theoretically be lining up SR with Shadow Dance, you shouldn't be using Hemorrhage during that time period).  As Assassination, it's less important as your SR's Rupture won't proc Venomous Wounds (since it doesn't proc poisons).

In practice, make sure your Subtlety SR has a Bleed up (usually Rupture) for Sanguinary Vein.  As far as I'm aware, it's worth clipping your present Rupture just to get Sanguinary since Hemorrhage isn't worth casting during Shadow Dance, which you should always use SR in combo with.  

As Assassination, I usually only apply Rupture with SR during my opener (when I don't have to worry about clipping) and any other time when I can refresh my Rupture (without clipping) at the very beginning of a Shadow Reflection to ensure it gets as many ticks as possible.  Actually, the Icy-Veins guide recommends casting your Rupture before going into SR (presumably to get your first tick of Venomous Wounds sooner), but I'm sure the DPS difference from ~4 ticks of SR Rupture compared to an extra Wounds tick during SR is negligible.  Personally, I cast SR Rupture if I can get 5 combo points in my opener (via Seal Fate crits), but if I'm stuck with 4 after 2 unlucky Mutilates, I'll just pop the 4 CP Rupture and go into SR.

But I'm hardly an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  This is just based on what I've read and how I personally do it.

The Rupture that Shadow Reflection puts up lasts the entire duration It's a bug if the debuff disappears. It is in fact there.

The Rupture that Shadow Reflection puts up lasts the entire duration It's a bug if the debuff disappears. It is in fact there.

I wasn't aware of that, actually (shows how much I know tongue.png).  In my experience, it was that the SR Rupture stayed as a debuff, and people said that it didn't do any damage after the SR despawned.

For what it's worth, that doesn't really change the premise of my post much.  It's worth it to Rupture during Sub's SR, but since Assassination's SR doesn't proc poisons and therefore doesn't proc Venomous Wounds, it's only really worth using it if you can avoid clipping your current rupture and make sure your SR gets a max-duration Rupture going.

Edited by Blaquenwhyte

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Violentravi
      Hello,
      Adelante is currently recruiting DPS & Heals, however, all competent players will be considered.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 8/10N NH 4/7M EN and 3/3H TOV.  As far as classes go we do not have a Moonkin, Mage, Feral Druid, Rogue, or any type of Monk. We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 7:00 PM until 11:00 PM Eastern.  Thursday is not considered a raid night, but we will often clear Heroic and Normal on this evening for AP and it is not required. We are pushing progression on Il'gynoth, and look forward to finishing off EN then moving on to Nighthold, we will be intermittently working on Mythic TOV.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that, if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
       If you are interested, you can either reply to this thread and link your most recent combat logs for review, make a character on our realm and inbox me, or hit me up on real ID (violentravi#1826).  Alternatively, if you are old school, please apply via our website:  http://www.adelante-guild.com
      Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho & the Guild
    • By Claratin
      <Non Lethal Force> is recruiting for Nighthold progression! Raid times are 8-11 TW EST. Recruiting exceptional dps and healers to push into Mythic Raiding. Currently looking for ranged DPS and a Paladin healer. Send me a message here or in game for more information.

• By Oups
      <Eighty Six> is a Morning / Daytime Raiding Guild on Tanaris 
      Our Current progression is 7/7 M & 3/3 H 
      We raid: Wednesday, Thursday & Monday 8 AM till 11 AM PST
      What we are looking for:
      Heals: (High) R Druid , (Medium) MW Monk & R Shaman  Ranged DPS: (High) Mage & Lock, (Medium) S Priest & Boomkin Melee DPS: (High) Warrior, Pally & Feral, (Medium) Rogue Please add me on B-Tag for more info: Oups#1377 

Good Luck 
    • By bez
      Who we are
      <Hollow> is a semi-hardcore guild created by a group of friends, experienced players, that raided HC together in WOTLK. We reunited and transfered to the same realm to create a guild, or more accurately, a home. We keep a very friendly environment in and out of raids, oftenly joining discord to chat even if we aren't doing anything. Guild activities include but are not limited to mythic dungeons, mythic + and raiding.
      Our goals
      Our current progress is 4/7M and 3/3HC. Our current goal is to down mythic EN to gear up and also prepare for Nighthold!
      What we are looking for
      Recruitment currently closed for Mythic raiding with the exception of 1 Shadow Priest.
      People that want only heroics can join regardless of specs. Socials are still welcome!
      Our raiding schedule
      Our current raiding schedule is 3 raids a week for 3 hours:

Wednesday 8pm to 11pm server time - NH Normal
      Sunday 8pm to 11pm server time - EN Mythic
      Tuesday 8pm to 11pm server time - EN Heroic / ToV Heroic
      The guild is using DKP system
      NOTE: We have added a catch up system for new recruits. When you get past the trial phase and join the ranks as a raider of our guild, you also earn 200 dkp as bonus and when you prove yourself that you are worthy of a core spot, you also get 300 dkp as bonus. We wont leave anyone behind no matter how new while at the same time, drawing a line for our core, active raiders that have been with us since the start.
      Our wowprogress page: http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/eu/twisting-nether/Hollow
      Thank you for taking your time reading through this post. If you have any further questions or if you are interested in joining us, feel free to contact us in game on Solidz, Hotbez or add us on BNET at Solidus#2642, bez#21193.
    • By chocoslayer88
      Hey yall! so i'm writing this because i just want to undesrtand something. my friend and i compared numbers today because we are both shadow priests albeit i have a higher ilvl than he does maybe by around 7 im sitting at 863 . 
      what happend was during the last fight we decided to do the same -ish rotations meaing we both had vamp touch and shadow pain up on the same boss at all times.
      at the end of the fight i found something odd,
      his vamp touch dealt 4.99m dmg with max hit at 315 and minimum 
      mine only dealt 3.71 with max hit at 335 but take this in, minimum hit at 17k LOLLL
      another thing that got my attention
      his max hit on mind blast was 512 k, while mine was only at 281k.
      his crit and mastery stands at 20% and 40%, mine at 24% and 42%
      his haste stands at 27 and mine stands at 24
      can anyone explain this? at all? does it make any sense at all LOL