FORUMS
Orthios

Hunter 6.1 Changes

So, the latest 6.1 build was released today, so I thought I'd share it here for discussion as well.

So, my initial thoughts were that Barrage is now a must have for 2+ targets, GT will actually be worth using on ST, and stampede is now worth double what it was, which was already pretty good.  Looks like stampede will be the default talent for this tier.  The exhilaration change is nice, nice for a larger on-demand heal (and brings it in line with similar talents, ie. renewal for druids), however, I don't think it will outweigh iron hawk for reducing the strain on healers.

Edit: Might as well keep this updated with all changes, so here's the rest:

• ihunters.gifHunter (Forums / Skills / WoD Talent Calculator)
    • Survival
      • Trap Mastery no longer reduces the cooldown of all traps and Black Arrow by 6 seconds.
      • Black Arrow now has a cooldown of 24 seconds (down from 30 seconds).
      • Enhanced Traps now reduces the cooldown on all traps by 33% (down from 50%).
    • Hunter Pets
      • Basilisks now have a pet family ability. Stone Scales reduces damage taken by the pet. Previously, Basilisks did not have a pet family ability.
      • Hydra pets should no longer be excessively large.
      • Spirit Beast's Spirit Beast Blessing now also provides a 5% increase to critical strike chance. Does not stack with other critical strike chance buffs. Previously, other exotic pet families provided buffs to 2 stats while Spirit Beasts provided only 1.

Too bad on the trap mastery and Enhanced Trap nerfs, though I can see why they would do this (looking at both PvP and PvE).  This puts SV traps on a 20s cd, and BA remains unchanged.

Updated for Feb. 13 PTR Notes:

• Beast Mastery
    • Improved Focus Fire now grants an 8% increase to attack power per Frenzy stack consumed (up from 5%).
  • Marksman
    • Careful Aim now increases critical strike chance of Steady Shot, Focusing Shot, and Aimed Shot by 50% (down from 60%).
    • Chimaera Shot damage increased by 30.4%.
    • Sniper Training is now 25% more effective.
Edited by Orthios
  • Like 1

I'm surprised, I was expecting earthshattering nerfs - let's face it, we're pretty OP as ranged DPS. 

Don't get why such a strong buff to Stampede, it was in a good place - easier to use than AMoC, but weaker overall, one strong burst instead of multiple small ones.

Actually, Power Shot might even be a stronger choice for single target than Glaive Toss, it was already pretty close, and it's getting much stronger buffs.

Either way, it's what I'm using for PvP, so me gusta.

I'm surprised, I was expecting earthshattering nerfs - let's face it, we're pretty OP as ranged DPS. 

Don't get why such a strong buff to Stampede, it was in a good place - easier to use than AMoC, but weaker overall, one strong burst instead of multiple small ones.

Actually, Power Shot might even be a stronger choice for single target than Glaive Toss, it was already pretty close, and it's getting much stronger buffs.

Does the stampede buff possibly mean stampede might be stronger than AMoC? Or is it hard to tell w/o the changes being live and able to be simmed?

Does the stampede buff possibly mean stampede might be stronger than AMoC? Or is it hard to tell w/o the changes being live and able to be simmed?

Last I checked Stampede and AMoC were really close. This buff will double the effectiveness of Stampede, so it's very much likely going to be go-to for all specs, unless they change something.

Same... I still have a hunch the 'fix' to multistrike + arcane shot is coming.  It might not even be in the patch notes, as it would be a bug fix.

Edited by Minigun

So I went back like 5 pages looking for what was wrong with multistike + arcane shot and couldn't find anything. Could you fill me in Minigun?

Arcane Shot and Multi Shot apply Serpent Sting, which immediately deals first tick of damage. If AS/MS multistrikes, they instantly reapply the Serpent Sting, extending the duration and causing additional free tick. This free tick is not counted as multistrike, so it has full power. 

Updated for new notes, BM gets another buff to Focus Fire, MM gets a slight buff to mastery and a pretty sizable buff to CS, while CA gets nerfed slightly which pushes the crit soft-cap to 53%.

Edited by Orthios

I wish they would buff Lone Wolf to just provide a flat damage boost instead of a buff to specific abilities, so LW could compete with Focusing Shot at AOE damage. 

• Like 1

I wish they would buff Lone Wolf to just provide a flat damage boost instead of a buff to specific abilities, so LW could compete with Focusing Shot at AOE damage. 

The classes, specs and talents are designed to specialize.

These changes will be pretty huge for hunters.

The classes, specs and talents are designed to specialize.

These changes will be pretty huge for hunters.

That's just it - LW doesn't really have a niche, since it does less single target damage than FS, and loses to FS outright on multi-target fights.

But FS is only slightly ahead on single target fights. If it was the same for multi-target fights, then LW would have a niche of a more mobile spec with an easier rotation. It would still have lower potential than FS, but would be convenient for those who don't want to min/max to the limit. 

• Like 1

That's just it - LW doesn't really have a niche, since it does less single target damage than FS, and loses to FS outright on multi-target fights.

But FS is only slightly ahead on single target fights. If it was the same for multi-target fights, then LW would have a niche of a more mobile spec with an easier rotation. It would still have lower potential than FS, but would be convenient for those who don't want to min/max to the limit. 

Totally agree there. I'd also like to see EM actually be a viable choice for SV and MM at some point. Seems like a really cool idea that is just not going to be used because the other two talents are so much stronger than EM at this time. :P

Totally agree there. I'd also like to see EM actually be a viable choice for SV and MM at some point. Seems like a really cool idea that is just not going to be used because the other two talents are so much stronger than EM at this time. tongue.png

EM is used for PvP all the time, so I see no issue there.

Meh... I don't PvP unless I get ganked. Never liked PvP - too unbalanced IMO.

Your choice, just saying that if the talent is useful at least somewhere then it's fine. 

With the buff to Powershot, I was kind of hoping Blizzard added a glyph in 6.1 to cancel the knock back effect. Or will mobs (boss related adds - not trash adds) be immune to the knock back effect?

With the buff to Powershot, I was kind of hoping Blizzard added a glyph in 6.1 to cancel the knock back effect. Or will mobs (boss related adds - not trash adds) be immune to the knock back effect?

Big elite adds are usually immune, smaller adds that can be CCed can also be knockbacked. Either way, PS is likely to be inferior to Barrage. 

As I'm still a newbie with Hunters (my twink is at level 86 right now), will these changes put MM ahead or does SV still be the best choice? And what about BM?

Thanks for any answer.

Edited by ChaiNspliT

As I'm still a newbie with Hunters (my twink is at level 86 right now), will these changes put MM ahead or does SV still be the best choice? And what about BM?

Thanks for any answer.

From what I have been reading (so far) it really looks like all three specs are pretty damn close to each other while at the same time, each spec has it's own niche. I have to say, from the looks of things so far, once 6.1 goes live, it really will be "play the spec you want to play". :)

From what I have been reading (so far) it really looks like all three specs are pretty damn close to each other while at the same time, each spec has it's own niche. I have to say, from the looks of things so far, once 6.1 goes live, it really will be "play the spec you want to play". smile.png

SV is actually quite far ahead of MM and BM on live, by ~2-3k dps.  MM is receiving an ~ 9-10% buff via CS and ST buffs, and BM is ~10-12% depending on RNG with Frenzy.  This will help to close the gap for sure, but I'm not sure which will come out "on top".  Most likely it will become play whatever spec you are most comfortable with, where at equal skill and gear you would do about the same dps.

MM is receiving an ~ 9-10% buff via CS and ST buffs

As far as I'm aware, SV does offer the overall best (sustained) AoE, right? Now, how does the AoE for MM, if at all, benefit from the buff? Or a different question, how well can MM's AoE compete with SV?

I imagine the CS buff being great for Hans/Franz, but other than that...

As far as I'm aware, SV does offer the overall best (sustained) AoE, right? Now, how does the AoE for MM, if at all, benefit from the buff? Or a different question, how well can MM's AoE compete with SV?

I imagine the CS buff being great for Hans/Franz, but other than that...

MM and AoE don't go together.  MM has some limited Cleave with Chimaera Shot and Barrage for psuedo-AoE.  BM on the other hand, has good burst AoE, and it might be stronger with the buff to FF with good RNG, but lacks in Single Target damage.  SV is the all-round king.

Beast Mastery is topping single target simulations for patch 6.1.

o_O too bad they decided to buff our worst spec by ~12% IN THE MIDDLE OF A RAID TIER.  Turning our 2 worst secondaries into our best secondaries.  Even if BM turns out on top, I'm in too deep with my multistrike gearing at this point to even think about switching.

o_O too bad they decided to buff our worst spec by ~12% IN THE MIDDLE OF A RAID TIER.  Turning our 2 worst secondaries into our best secondaries.  Even if BM turns out on top, I'm in too deep with my multistrike gearing at this point to even think about switching.

Multistrike should be good for BM too. Either way, we'll have simcraft to tell us if it's worth switching over.