Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elegua

Affliction PVP

2 posts in this topic

First of all I'd like to say Icy Veins, several regular posters, and Zagam in particular have some outstanding advice and have helped me out a lot in fine-tuning my PVE skills.

I'm starting to finally get my feet wet in PVP and am having a hard time discovering what is going to work best.

Any PVP afflocks out there care to sound off on PVP tips? I'm wondering what rotations and macros work best for you.

Hi Elegua,

Glad to hear that we've been able to help you from a PvE perspective! While I am nowhere close to being as versed in PvP as I am in PvE, I have explored each spec in PvP and can tell you with a great deal of confidence that Affliction is pretty crappy at the moment.

Right now, Affliction's strength comes from channeling MG or DS with DoTs on a target. It's really hard to take down melee because as soon as they see your purpley beam of doom, aka Malefic Grasp, they charge/interrupt/stun and from there, it's hard to get any consistent damage. In arena, being focused will spell your doom. You can spread instant cast DoTs and use Fear to get Unstable Affliction up on all of your targets, but your DoTs don't hit for much until MG is applied. This may change in 5.1 when you can freely cast with no penalty except a minor speed reduction (30%), but as of now, Affliction is pretty tame compared to Destruction and Demonology.

If you insist on playing Affliction, what I've found works best is to abuse the crap out of your Teleport. Use it after a Warrior's charge, after a rogue Shadowsteps (if he's bad and didn't stun you), or my favorite...after a DK has gripped you. Use Fear to DoT up your target. Affliction has Nightmare built in meaning when they come out of a Fear effect, they will be running much slower back to you. Use Fel Flame to refresh UA rather than casting it again, and once you get some separation, then you can start using Malefic Grasp. In arena, you just want to put as much pressure on the healer as you can. You can do this by putting DoTs up on everyone. The healer, his teammates, pets, everything. DoT things like it's going out of fashion. Use your survival CDs when pressured such as Dark Regeneration with a glyphed Healthstone. Unending Resolve prevents interrupts and Silences.

...and soon, Patch 5.1 gives you 70% mobility with no casting penalty while using Kil'jaeden's Cunning. This is...incredible. They're also fixing that wonderful bug where you can't fear a Warrior who popped Recklessness off of you. Those damn Warriors will have their day...DAMN THEM!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Esabeth
      Our mission is to enjoy World of Warcraft with old and new friends, defeat Azeroth’s enemies, experience daring sagas and savor the land of Azeroth and beyond.

Ascendency is a guild comprised of sociable, mature (21+), team oriented and easy going players. We are looking for more with similar affinities wanting to explore the game and all its aspects all while having fun. All classes are welcomed. Here’s what we offer:

Faction: Horde
      Server: US-Thrall – EST
      Member Type: Adult (21+) Working class w/full time jobs
      Voice Service: Discord
      Social Community: 
      Bi-monthly guild contests/activities, holiday events, and general achievement runs.
      We strive to foster a guild community that represents our values and serve as a home for members, our focus for Legion will be PVE Raid content, Group Mythic Dungeon runs, PVP content, and Achievements. 
      Raid: 
      For those dedicated, who seek a challenge, and are able to progressively ascend higher-level content, come join the Ascendant Legion to defeat Azeroth’s enemies.

Details: Normal progression
      Dedicated/dynamic Team
      Tuesday - 8PM EST (3hr)/Wednesday - 8PM EST (3hr)
      We are 7/7 Emerald Night, 3/3 Trial of Valor and 3/10 Nighthold on the first week!
      Currently Recruiting:
      Death Knight - Tank Demon Hunter - Tank Druid - Tank, Range Dps or Healer Mage - Dps Monk - Tank, Dps or Healer Paladin - Tank or Healer Priest - Healer Shaman - Range Dps Warlock - Dps Hunter - Range Dps
      Loot: Personal
      Class: The one you enjoy (with a chosen off-spec kept up to date)

PVP:
      For those interested in competing together to slay opposing faction players, join and help forge a merciless cadre of champions.

Details: Battlegrounds/Thursdays - 8:30PM EST (2hrs)
      Class: The one you enjoy 

Group Mythic Dungeons:
      For those interested in challenging themselves outside of Raids, then the new Mythic Dungeons feature could be the right fit for you. You get showcase your talents and get rewarded with increasing challenges and loot. Mythic groups will be more fluid than our raid group and can be run on more accommodating night for players with fluctuating schedules.

Details: 5-Man Group
      Sunday/Monday-8PM EST (2hrs)
      Loot: Personal
      Class: The one you enjoy (with a chosen off-spec kept up to date)

Achievements: 
      As an effort to promote the guild’s values, We plan to seek both old content and new, accomplishing those more elusive ones as a group while having a great time. Achievements like For the Horde, Herald of the Titans, meta-raid, and dungeon achievements are some of the achievement we will be looking complete. Our goal is work together and support fellow members to accomplish some the games toughest achievements. Some require a team to complete or at the very least make it easier.

Details: Ascendency Members/As scheduled

Guild Communication:
      The guild has a paid web site, Facebook page and a Twitter account enabling members to socialize and stay informed with the latest and greatest. The website is our primary location to keep up with happenings of the guild.
      http://ascendency.guildlaunch.com/
      https://www.facebook.com/ascendencyguild
      Twitter: Ascendencyguild

Kyriale#1795 - Jyotika
      Esabeth#1634 - Caelaera
      Feorne#1606 - Nóz
      Kelden#1324 - Stormdash
    • By Alst3r
      Hello hunters,
      i nees some help with the marksmanship rotation. I'm trying to follow the guide of azortharion

In no-proc periods:  Arcane Shot until 95 Focus, then  Aimed Shot to not Focus cap and repeat. If  Windburst becomes available during one of these periods, use it immediately and generate focus with Arcane Shot afterwards. Then, towards the end of the  Vulnerable window, cast the 2 Aimed Shots with roughly 4 seconds remaining on  Vulnerable. When you get a proc: →  Marked Shot → Keep Cast  Arcane Shot once (twice with extremely high Haste) so that there is only ~4 seconds remaining on Vulnerable → 2x  Aimed Shots.  
      But i really have some diffcult. Usually i'm doing this:
      - If vulnerable is down: cast windurst if is up or marked shot -> 1x arcane shot -> 2x aimed shot
      But really, i never have enough focus to do this and a lot of time i can cast only 1 aimed shot.

I dont understand.
    • By Darkmograine
      Undaunted Gaming League is a family based guild, that means most of us have families and careers and are unable to play WoW at all times, that is recruiting players to band together for core teams. We would like to form teams for arena, RBG's, Daily Mythic dungeons, raid progression, gold making, and even battle pets. Even if you are a casual player that is looking to socialize, or want a team to work together on professions, we would like to help you help us. 
      http://undauntedgamingleague.enjin.com/home is our guild site, feel free to stop by to fill out an application and email a guild member for an invite. If you would like additional information, please message a player in game or myself directly darkmograine#1675
    • By Browed
      I will NOT be using BoS in 7.1.5...  why?
      http://www.wowhead.com/item=132459/perseverance-of-the-ebon-martyr
      Build:
      http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/death-knight/frost/cj7z
      Basically with the combination of Gathering Storm (extended RW) and fitting more Rime into that time period I'm hoping that my M+ hybrid spec will remain competitive and the sims thus far seem to support the theory.
      If you have the helm too, grats! and look forward to the major increase in it's power with Freezing Fog +30% and Tier 19 based around more Rime and more RP from Rime we should see many viable builds popping up on logs. **Stay with FP for now until you have T19 x 2 - see updated build link ^^
      Why not BoS and Hungering? ... well, I'm looking for big Rime crits and don't fancy the long CD to manage. I also want to remain powerful in M+ which should be the case with this build... I'm pretty sure I can become more useful with Winter is Coming + extended RW... stunning mobs for the whole of PoF uptime.
      Obliteration will be used to maximise rune spam for Gathering Storm.
      Lets hear your thoughts?
    • By Bruddawulf
      I am Disabled Slightly So Macro's help me by activating 2+ abilities per macro. Hope this helps others as well:
      1)   This Macro allows the Paladin to Self Heal constantly, for every 3 Shield of the Righteous you receive 2 Light of the Protector.
      #showtooltip Shield of the Righteous
      /cast Shield of the Righteous
      /stopcasting
      /cast Light of the Protector

2)   This Macro Activates Hand of Reckoning every time you use Judgement. The Cooldown on Judgement is much faster than on Hand of Reckoning so you get Hand activating once per 2 Judgements.
      #showtooltip Judgment
      /cast Judgment
      /stopcasting
      /cast Hand of Reckoning

3)    Eye of Tyr shares the exact same CD as  [Gift of Radiance] Lowest Trinket, which Pierces your Target with a Spear of Light dealing 77,681 Holy Damage & Stunning said Target for 5 seconds (Eye of Tyr &  [Gift of Radiance] both share a 60 second GCD.
      #showtooltip Eye of Tyr(Artifact)
      /cast Eye of Tyr(Artifact)
      /stopcasting
      /use 14
      For those Players that do not know the Item Slot Number here are the Slot Numbers & Locations;
        Head = 1, Neck = 2, Shoulder = 3, Shirt = 4, Chest = 5, Belt = 6, Legs = 7, Feet = 8, Wrist = 9, Gloves = 10, Finger 1 (Top)= 11, Finger 2 (Bottom)= 12, Trinket 1 (Top)= 13, Trinket 2 (Bottom)= 14, Back= 15, Main Hand= 16,,Off Hand= 17, Tabard =19

That's Right For Those of You wishing to Activate Talbards such as  [Theramore Tabard] here is what you would type;
      #showtooltip Theramore Tabard
      /use 19
      /e proudly plants his Theramore Flag for all can see.

Here is what happens when you activate this macro (let's say I use it on my Paladin)
      Captamerica activates the macro,  use 19 activates whatever is in the Tabard Slot, The Theramore Flag appears,  then Captamerica emotes the following (shows up as Orange in the general chat window,  Captamerica proudly plants his Theramore Flag for all can see. 
      This macro has no real game value it is more of an Role Playing macro.