Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elegua

Affliction PVP

2 posts in this topic

First of all I'd like to say Icy Veins, several regular posters, and Zagam in particular have some outstanding advice and have helped me out a lot in fine-tuning my PVE skills.

I'm starting to finally get my feet wet in PVP and am having a hard time discovering what is going to work best.

Any PVP afflocks out there care to sound off on PVP tips? I'm wondering what rotations and macros work best for you.

Hi Elegua,

Glad to hear that we've been able to help you from a PvE perspective! While I am nowhere close to being as versed in PvP as I am in PvE, I have explored each spec in PvP and can tell you with a great deal of confidence that Affliction is pretty crappy at the moment.

Right now, Affliction's strength comes from channeling MG or DS with DoTs on a target. It's really hard to take down melee because as soon as they see your purpley beam of doom, aka Malefic Grasp, they charge/interrupt/stun and from there, it's hard to get any consistent damage. In arena, being focused will spell your doom. You can spread instant cast DoTs and use Fear to get Unstable Affliction up on all of your targets, but your DoTs don't hit for much until MG is applied. This may change in 5.1 when you can freely cast with no penalty except a minor speed reduction (30%), but as of now, Affliction is pretty tame compared to Destruction and Demonology.

If you insist on playing Affliction, what I've found works best is to abuse the crap out of your Teleport. Use it after a Warrior's charge, after a rogue Shadowsteps (if he's bad and didn't stun you), or my favorite...after a DK has gripped you. Use Fear to DoT up your target. Affliction has Nightmare built in meaning when they come out of a Fear effect, they will be running much slower back to you. Use Fel Flame to refresh UA rather than casting it again, and once you get some separation, then you can start using Malefic Grasp. In arena, you just want to put as much pressure on the healer as you can. You can do this by putting DoTs up on everyone. The healer, his teammates, pets, everything. DoT things like it's going out of fashion. Use your survival CDs when pressured such as Dark Regeneration with a glyphed Healthstone. Unending Resolve prevents interrupts and Silences.

...and soon, Patch 5.1 gives you 70% mobility with no casting penalty while using Kil'jaeden's Cunning. This is...incredible. They're also fixing that wonderful bug where you can't fear a Warrior who popped Recklessness off of you. Those damn Warriors will have their day...DAMN THEM!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darksong
      Dear Fellow Warriors,
      I've been playing arms for quite awhile now, and I've not been doing well in raids. On fights like the Dragons, routinely bottom tier of my group's dps.
      On Ursoc though, I was 4th. However, my dps seems too far from what others are able to accomplish. (IE, I'm only doing 212k DPS on Ursoc - Normal)

On the Lesser Sparring Partner, i'm only doing about 150k dps. after two minutes-3 minutes of parsing

To help distill the issues with my rotation and take away most of the mechanics, let's use the gear check boss, Ursoc, since it's relatively immobile.

My Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Darksong/simple

Let's compare two logs. One's mine (ilvl 844 - 212k dps), with someone of similar iLvl (844 368k dps), on the same fight in Normal Ursoc:
      My Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/YDcMvgnAJpPhXyfK#fight=13&type=damage-done&source=56

Comparison Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/93kqYVwpQv1fA2ag#fight=19&type=damage-done&source=135

Ok, taking out the fact that I don't have a legion pot, and didnt use Pot of the Old War, I seem to be doing very little damage, my MS hits for a lot less, etc.

Taking a look at my damage during Heroic Dragons of Nightmare, is rather depressing. Here I finally managed to buy some flasks, but not to much effect it seems.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/T9QJD4LVZHfMzwgP

Let me explain my rotation:

1. Charge
      2. Stack Focused Rage to 3 stacks
      3. Battle Cry + Colossus Smash + Avatar,

(During Battle Cry)
      Hit CS/MS when it pops up, else FR+Hamstring till 3 points, slam if FR already at 3.

(Once out of Battle Cry)
      Continue building FR stacks, hit CS and MS when it comes up (even if FR less than 3)

(Once in Execute Range)
      Colossus Smash->Execute ->CS->Exe when available.

PS: One question, since I've been focusing on maximising my mastery, my non-CS/shattered Defenses MS has been pathetic, maybe doing 200k damage with 3 FR stacks. Should i be maximising my CS duration (IE: do NOT hit CS again when there's still a few seconds left on the CS duration?)

Thanks in advance for ANY help at all.

• By Lapideus
      Hi,
      As described in the title I am looking for assistance in playing Fire Mage, so info dump here:
      Armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/the-venture-co/Phlegmatic/advanced
      Artifact, Talents and Stats screenshots included.
      The 3rd Relic on Felo'Melorn is an ilvl840 Molten Giant's Eye that provides +1 to Burning Gaze (1% increased Fire Critical damage)
      Finally, I have a WarcraftLog of a 4:21 rotation example against a Greater Bulwark Construct in the Mage Order Hall (and will update the post with a mythic or something as soon as I can). https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fy78Y2mx3Z1DP9Cz
      My concerns are currently the amount of time I spend fishing for Heating Up procs and my low burst on the start of fights despite following the opening rotation recommendations very closely. Sometimes I have a slip and miss a Pyromaniac proc (will set up a WA notification for that soon) or I activate Flame On a bit too early but those mistakes are getting a lot less frequent. The WarcraftLogs example is fairly representative of how I usually do it. It also shows how I delay using my cooldowns so that they are ready for use all together. Despite all this I sometimes average around 110-120k on trash packs (and I only use Flamestrike on 5 or above monsters). My single target is also not spectacular and I hover around 150-160k. Either way, I do feel like I am underperforming in relation to my ilvl and wish to improve.
      Any advice or comments would be appreciated!

• By Avrielle
      Hands of the Pantheon, Horde ( handsofthepantheon.com )
      Is a casual raiding guild (that still wants to progress in raids) looking for players both old and new to join their ranks. We're looking for people that want to be a part of a friendly and active community. We are big believers in strong social bonds and developing friendships within the guild and doing as much as we can together. We have a very full calendar dipping into just about everything WOW has to offer and then some. 
      We have a dedicated and experienced officer team who look out to make sure people have plenty to do and are always ready to lend a hand.
      Like guild social events?we got you covered, we run events such as mini guild games (who doesn't love naked races through the forest or hide and seek in Dalaran?) and even games outside of WOW (overwatch, hearthstone and a not so known gem, tabletop simulator! it is amazing and everyone should know about it!) 
      Like PVP? we got that covered too :D were looking into PVP events (WWE style Gurubashi arena "king of the ring") and casual bg's to start and already we are building up a team/core group for running proper RBGs and arena and there are still places available.
      Want raiding in a positive environment with friends? Great! that's what we want too, we want a positive raiding experience so were running casual/ semi hardcore raiding that still offers progression with a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.  
      There's usually a bunch of us on team-speak each night so you're more than welcome to come join us and we have our own website (the GM is web guru so it's unique and just for us) with forums and a chat room *coming soon*, where guild members can hang out and chat out of game. We have forum games and competitions on there too. Everyone in guild is encouraged to use the site as often as possible and we do ask all new members to make sure they're signed up to our forums as all the guild news is on there. We also have a new Facebook group as previously it was a page and groups are more accessible for all members.
      TLDR: (if you did read through all that well done lol) Think that we might be the guild for you? Great, head over to http://www.handsofthepantheon.com and come introduce yourself or come speak to us in game or on the facebook group.
      Officers to look out for are;
      Kaizul (Kalodia#2493)
      Avrielle (shiandi#2367)
      Thradoom
      and Wakkamon
      Thanks for reading and happy gaming guys and gals
    • By Jespeer
      Hello, I'll get straight to the point:

Pop Battle potion before pull - Flying Serpent Kick to the boss - Tiger Palm - Touch of Death - Storm, earth and fire - Fists of Fury - Tiger Palm - Strike of the Windlord - Tiger Palm -Rising Sun Kick - Whirling Dragon Punch

How does this opening sound?

Armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Vutos/simple