Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elegua

Affliction PVP

2 posts in this topic

First of all I'd like to say Icy Veins, several regular posters, and Zagam in particular have some outstanding advice and have helped me out a lot in fine-tuning my PVE skills.

I'm starting to finally get my feet wet in PVP and am having a hard time discovering what is going to work best.

Any PVP afflocks out there care to sound off on PVP tips? I'm wondering what rotations and macros work best for you.

Hi Elegua,

Glad to hear that we've been able to help you from a PvE perspective! While I am nowhere close to being as versed in PvP as I am in PvE, I have explored each spec in PvP and can tell you with a great deal of confidence that Affliction is pretty crappy at the moment.

Right now, Affliction's strength comes from channeling MG or DS with DoTs on a target. It's really hard to take down melee because as soon as they see your purpley beam of doom, aka Malefic Grasp, they charge/interrupt/stun and from there, it's hard to get any consistent damage. In arena, being focused will spell your doom. You can spread instant cast DoTs and use Fear to get Unstable Affliction up on all of your targets, but your DoTs don't hit for much until MG is applied. This may change in 5.1 when you can freely cast with no penalty except a minor speed reduction (30%), but as of now, Affliction is pretty tame compared to Destruction and Demonology.

If you insist on playing Affliction, what I've found works best is to abuse the crap out of your Teleport. Use it after a Warrior's charge, after a rogue Shadowsteps (if he's bad and didn't stun you), or my favorite...after a DK has gripped you. Use Fear to DoT up your target. Affliction has Nightmare built in meaning when they come out of a Fear effect, they will be running much slower back to you. Use Fel Flame to refresh UA rather than casting it again, and once you get some separation, then you can start using Malefic Grasp. In arena, you just want to put as much pressure on the healer as you can. You can do this by putting DoTs up on everyone. The healer, his teammates, pets, everything. DoT things like it's going out of fashion. Use your survival CDs when pressured such as Dark Regeneration with a glyphed Healthstone. Unending Resolve prevents interrupts and Silences.

...and soon, Patch 5.1 gives you 70% mobility with no casting penalty while using Kil'jaeden's Cunning. This is...incredible. They're also fixing that wonderful bug where you can't fear a Warrior who popped Recklessness off of you. Those damn Warriors will have their day...DAMN THEM!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Greathouse
      I'm here to talk about <Thieves Guild>; a new Mythic raiding and PVP guild on the Eldre'Thalas and Korialstrasz conjoined realm. We are looking for super-active players to fill out our raiding team and rated battlegrounds team. We intend to hit Mythic raids and Rated Battlegrounds hard. With the changes on how gearing up works in Legion, we believe that these tandem gameplay goals will compliment each other well. We're looking for highly active players that cross over between raiding and PVP. If you have a strict aversion to either raiding or PVP, that's not exactly a dealbreaker, but also it may be an indication that this guild is not strictly what you want, so be sure that you can live with the fact that most people will be equally interested in both gameplay aspects.  

Currently we need all classes and roles  

We do not have a raid/PVP schedule yet. We’ll be raiding 4 days a week, probably Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday. Expect schedules to be solidified after most people reach level 110  

Since we are a brand new guild, we don’t have a formal application process at this time. If you want to join our guild, message Jesse (the GM) greathouse#1932 or post a message on our recruitment forum here: http://thieves.gg/forums/forum/recruitment/  

If you're curious about the flavor of this guild, please review my bullet points on the sticky here: http://thieves.gg/forums/topic/read-this-before-you-join
    • By Psyh
      Up until Legion, I've primary spent my time in game in Areans or BGs, however the concept of Mythic+ really intrigues me. I'm stuck trying though trying to decide which class I want to main spec before Legion comes out. 
      The reason why it's a concern now, is because I don't want to start dumping my artifact power into one weapon, only to, down the road, regret my decision and switch. To my knowledge there's no way to "refund" artifact power at this time - please stop my now if there is. 
      Furthermore, I want to chose a spec that's going to be both viable in PVP (3's mostly) and Mythic+ dungeons (I know, I'm asking for a lot here). I already know Shadow is going to be a strong contender in 3's and I'm fairly certain Disc will be as well (I think, I hope). What I don't know, is where do they both stand in Mythic+. 
      I've stayed away from Legion Dungeons on the beta to avoid spoilers, but on live, they seem to struggle with AoE healing (at least compared to other healers). Has anyone played either spec on the beta, in Mythic+ and would care to share their experience? 
      I'm sure it'll come up, so let me get it out of the way --- I have no interest in playing Holy. Yes, I know they're an amazing healer. They spec as a whole does not appeal to me, the whole "holy light" thing. I like Disc and Shadow, because of the lore surrounding them and it's what kept me playing a priest for 8 years now. 
      Thanks in advance for the feedback!
    • By ShadowFlash
      (1 - Who are the Lone Wolves
      The Lone Wolves is a Semi-hardcore raiding guild started up in MoP by me and a few IRL friends, to create a guild with a solid raiding experience in a very social and fun atmosphere. We have pushed HC progress during Siege of Orgrimmar in MoP, the first 2 raid tiers of WoD (Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry). Since most of our core players were disappointed in the expansion, a big part of our core team went on a break. With Legion release nearing, and seeing how amazing the expansion looks like, we are looking for players who want to have a good time and enjoy the content in a friendly atmosphere.
      (2 - Our aims in Legion
      In Legion we want to organize a Semi-HC raiding team with a solid progress. We will be aiming for 2-3 raiding days a week. We will also be organizing weekly calendar events for PvP, Dungeons and world quests, to be able to enjoy the content to the fullest in which everyone can sign up for.
      (3 - Who are we looking for
      In general, we are looking for people to join our community, to find likeminded people who all want 1 thing: to enjoy World of Warcraft. But how people can or want to enjoy WoW, varies for each person. That's why we are open for people who are both looking for a friendly guild, or a steady semi-HC raiding team.
      (4 - Raiding
      For the raid content in Legion, we want to go for 3 raiding days each week. 2 Days for our core team progress, and 1 optional day for Alts, socials, or occasionaly a 3rd progress attempt.
      (5 - Raiding Team
      For our core team, we are looking for dedicated players who are able to put some more time in WoW, are willing to put time in gearing up for raiding progress, and to get to know the raiding tactics. For voice comms, we have a discord server, and a mic will be required for progress.
      (6 - Contact info
      If you are interested or have some questions, you can add my battletag and send me a message: ShadowFlash#2306
    • By Neshama
      Hi,
      I have simple question.

What to do when Im missing one combo point and all my bleeds are ticking ??

Examples:
      1. I have 4 out of 5 combo points, do I cast 4cp Envenom or do I use Mutilate or Hemo to get that one missing point and then cast full 5cp Envenom ??
      2. Im 5 out 6 combo points (with Deeper Stratgem talent), same as above, do I cast Mutilate, Hemo to get full 6cp, or I just dump 5cp Envenom ??

• By Flavory
      So did they take out the pvp rings trinkets and necklaces you can buy from the vendor for marks of honor in ashran I can not get them, in this case where are those items aquired the pvp optimized items for those slots now that they took them out of ashran.  I know that it is possible to get good items from dungeons or raids but I think those ones are optimized for pve I want to get the ones optimized for pvp.