FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Luvlockdown

Are Resto Talents Personal Preference?

The title of the topic says it all, I guess.

I'm not a "Pro" Resto druid whatsoever, I'm not bad either, but I can't say I've had years of experience playing the class. That's why I'm making this topic to get a bit of insight from you guys. 

The last couple of days I've been toying around with my Talents & Glyphs a bit to see what works well and what doesn't work etc.. I haven't tried everything yet, but ok.

I also have to mention that I'm not the kind of guy that will test everything, record the statistics, compare them etc, I more or less just call it on how I feel it performs, so if anyone HAS crunched some numbers feel free to let me know.

Anyways:

I know alot of people run with SoF and DoC & Germination, I know alot of other people Prefer Incarnation and HoTw & Germination, the reason I mention Germination every time is because my setup right now is (believe it or not): Incarnation - DoC - Moment of Clarity.

Yes, It may sound weird, even I had a bit of a chuckle when I selected those talents in my talent tree, but to be honest, I was kind of surprised by it's performance. I am 672 right now and clearing Mythic, I was number 1 healer on both Kargath and Twins, on Brackenspore a Holy Pally was always above me, sometimes a priest. I noticed I can outshine them very hard if the raid takes heavy damage, probably due to the free Regrowth procs. Also, my overhealing wasn't that much higher than it usually is even with MoC.

So, I guess, my question is, are talents really just personal preference for us and isn't there alot of difference HPS between all the setups or is there really that ONE setup that you should be running? A setup that clearly offers you the best HPS, proven with statistics etc.. ? If I look at all the pro's and see them all play with a different setup I guess not, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Edit;

I forgot a tiny (interesting) fact that on the Twins fight for example at the end I still had 100k mana left, without even popping a potion. 

Thank you, cheers.

Edited by Luvlockdown

That sounds like an interesting combo, and 100k mana after mythic! ohmy.png

I'll try it out next time we do a raid smile.png

Yes, but like I said, I'm not a pro, I didn't keep any logs or whatever to see what exactly was going on besides my own healing etc, but yeah, I was top healer in that fight with 100k left, kind of surprised myself lol

The problem with DoC is that it may look good, but its really just padding because incidental heals would get to it anyway.  It doesn't really do anything to 'save' people, where as HotW and NV will actually do healing at a significant time that will matter.

The problem with moment of clarity is that you're forced to use one or 2 regrowth in that time window which means you have to stop everything you're doing to actually benefit from the talent.

So yea, if you're ok with the above two points, then sure. Its personal preference. 

I don't necessarily agree with that DoC is just padding, sure it's doing that too, but it's a good talent to allow SotF spam on long encounters. You basically use it during times where you would normally use Rejuvenation and since it's free mana you can then really go ham on Wild Growths. And only put Rejuvenation if you know that this target will take constant damage during the full Rejuv, like tanks and debuffs.

Yea, sorry, I completely disregarded long encounters.  I use it on Imperator becasue most of the phases don't really matter for healing and the incidental healing it does during it is useful to save mana.

That is probably the only reason I would ever consider using it, is because I just run dry at the end of the encounter and the healing isn't so urgent at the start.

I don't necessarily agree with that DoC is just padding, sure it's doing that too, but it's a good talent to allow SotF spam on long encounters. You basically use it during times where you would normally use Rejuvenation and since it's free mana you can then really go ham on Wild Growths. And only put Rejuvenation if you know that this target will take constant damage during the full Rejuv, like tanks and debuffs.

Can I ask when you usually use Wild Growth, I'm trying to find the right balance between using it and mana management, if you know what I mean? I know it differs from fight to fight and it's situational, also if you know the fights well you can predict when you are going to use it, but is there like a set number of players at a set number of health % you +- go by all the time or is it just random? 

Personally, I try for about half the raid (10 or so) but even then it goes on all the wrong people. Although, I don't try to count or make it a rule, it's just a feeling and how the current raid health looks.

The only time I do less, is on something like butcher where there is a specific set of people who are taking damage, which makes it a bit easier to predict.

It really depends on the fight, on a long fight like Imperator, I use it when I know that everyone will take damage. For every Force Nova, for every add that aoe the raid. In intermission I use it when I see that an add is low hp and is about to explode the raid.

On shorter fights you can gamble a bit more.

So it's a question rather how long the fight is and depending on that you can play more aggressive.

Most talents these days are good for something or other; they fit different circumstances, so what is 'better' will be encounter dependent.

DoC seems pretty lackluster though; even on fights where it's a decent fit (i.e. longish periods where little raid healing is needed), it seems like you'd be better off to just ration your mana and still have vigil/hotw for high damage situations than squeeze out a bit of free healing during that downtime.

I have been using

Soul of the Forest For more throughput whenever it's needed.

Dream of Cenarius To preserve mana or when there is little healing to do. I treat it as Atonement-Smite.

Moment of Clarity On one hand it saves mana and on the other hand it's very good single target burst. The random factor of the proc is a contingency you have to weave in your playstyle.

With the upcoming buff to Moment of Clarity where the duration is increased to 7 seconds, I can see it being even more potent and more viable than it's current status.