FORUMS
Zinistra

Yet another "help my dps" thread.

Armory: 

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Phalandra/simple

Logs:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3CjDt8Ga7MB9YmWX#fight=9&type=damage-done&source=18

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/b3FKQ2APrRGLJfVp#fight=5&type=damage-done&source=2

So we've been bashing our heads against the mythic brackenspore wall for weeks on end now, and I can't help but feel like I should be doing more dps than what I do, not just on brackenspore but all the other bosses as well. Granted, my cloak is shit due to very, VERY unlucky drops and other classes having more EP than me, but I feel like there's something else going on. 

I've read icy veins and Azortharion's guide inside and out, and my prio currently looks something like crows + BA on CD > SS always up > ES > barrage on two or more targets > focus dump, and trying to fit in ET whenever it can hit 2 or more targets.
Due to slight differences in the suggested prio list between icy veins and Azortharion's guide, this is only an approximation of what I try to do. 

I know I'm not playing 100% so sometimes I mistakenly fire off too many arcane shots so I don't have enough focus for crows/BA, but I'm working on it and unless something throws me off encounter-wise I maintain a pretty good flow on the attacks. 

I have tried to analyze my own logs according to the stickied thread here on the forums, and according to the fights I've checked where I'm pretty sure I didn't do any major fuckups that might muddy the data, my debuff uptimes and number of casts seem to all be in the right ballpark. So I'm not sure what gives. 

I would like to look on mythic brackenspore as well, but most of our wipes are pretty early (average on around 3 minutes). Additionally, I'm not actually sure what the prio is for me.. It's a very hectic fight, and we usually have a druid or two on flamethrowers with me as backup so I focus the spore shooters and mind fungus above all. 

Should I "multidot" the spore shooters with serpent sting or focus on bringing one down asap and move on to the next one? Multidotting would probably bring my dps up, but is it really beneficial to the raid rather than focusing them down one at a time (and cleave whenever they spawn stacked)? I also try to save barrage so it's up when they spawn, but if they spawn very spread out it's gonna take some running to get them all into the barrage window.

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me figure out if it's mainly a gear issue, a priority issue or something else(?).

Should I "multidot" the spore shooters with serpent sting or focus on bringing one down asap and move on to the next one? Multidotting would probably bring my dps up, but is it really beneficial to the raid rather than focusing them down one at a time (and cleave whenever they spawn stacked)?

I actually was asking myself the same thing the other day. I'm considering switching to MM at this fight, so I can kill the adds one after another. 

I actually was asking myself the same thing the other day. I'm considering switching to MM at this fight, so I can kill the adds one after another. 

Marksmanship is "generally" better for progression because it has higher single target damage and better add switching capabilities. Survival benefits from adds living longer, which generally doesn't help make the fight easier. Spore Shooters are a good example. Survival dotting them up and leaving them is a gain, Marksmanship bursting them down is a gain.

Survival is not better for that, it's just better for padding meters to be honest. That is the mistake a lot of players make, they see all the 7/7M hunters going SV and they feel they have to as well, even though it likely hurts their performance in raid.

Marksmanship does not have higher single-target damage. It is actually quite a bit lower.

I stand corrected.

Marksmanship does not have higher single-target damage. It is actually quite a bit lower.

But at least damage is immediate. On a target with infinite health it doesn't matter, but if the goal is to kill a low HP target ASAP (e.g., a Spore Shooter), MM will be better. Right? 

It's a genuine question. I'm considering switching to MM for that reason. An execute phase, a damage cooldown and immediate damage - all of that supposed to be more useful than raw damage per second on multiple targets. What's your opinion on this? Which spec is actually more useful to the raid,  MM or SV?

Edited by Iridar

But at least damage is immediate. On a target with infinite health it doesn't matter, but if the goal is to kill a low HP target ASAP (e.g., a Spore Shooter), MM will be better. Right? 

It's a genuine question. I'm considering switching to MM for that reason. An execute phase, a damage cooldown and immediate damage - all of that supposed to be more useful than raw damage per second on multiple targets. What's your opinion on this? Which spec is actually more useful to the raid,  MM or SV?

That's true. I was just saying that it is not better single-target damage in any way, as an overall statement.

My stance on spec choice is fight-dependent (check guide). It's a mix, really.