Auracle, on 22 November 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:
3) Paladin tanks are, (this is very general so take with a grain of salt) a comparatively low opening burst DPS/TPS tanking class this expansion.
4) ... Theck is a legend.
....Get threatplates so you can easily see which mobs on large pulls you have weaker threat on, use marks to let dps know which targets to focus.
Threat Plates (part of Tidy Plates) are a must! And I have to agree Theck is a legend. I have followed his advice (with some small tweaking for group/playstyle) and have been extremely successful.
Polini, on 31 January 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:
3. You said pala tanks got weak opening. But if you glyph Holy avenger and use it at the pull your dps goes straight up.
...But i'm a wondering aswell if anyone could look for increasing my dps (what i could change or do).
Pally's are comparatively weak openers, as compared to say a Blood DK (which I tank w/ fulltime). However, if you're stats are balanced right, you'll be VERY close to any other tanks' threat most times. DKs are such beasts btw, b/c they can spread their diseases to and entire pack. If you want to out threat a DK tank, you have to watch the adds and grab them as they switch. Each add gives you more vengence, and the tank with the more vengence will steadily pull the remaining adds aggro.
I do however have to STRONGLY DISAGREE
with running Glyph of Holy Avenger except for certain boss pulls. With an 8sec taunt CD, taking a smart multi-target spell that can be used as an opener I feel can be detrimental overall. It *IS* however a DPS boost if attacking a single target. I still prefer not to use it and have not threat issues, regardless of dps/ot tank gear.
Casterly, on 02 February 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:
At 466 item level as a paladin, your stats are let's just say terrible. But with some toying around with gear readily available in the heroics you should be able to get the the following stats:
In order to keep threat we paladin's need to hit every single thing we can, the best way to get that expertise up at lower gear levels is find ways to get around it. Like a Ghost Iron Dragonling, I used the Dragonling until i was 2 or 3 in heroic modes.
Polini, on Will of the Emperor, there really is nothing you can do to give an instant boost to your vengeance, the one thing i could say (warn your healers before you do it) is butt-tank for a hit or 2. This might solve your vengeance query.
I agree with Casterly's premise, but don't think he goes far enough. As a general mindset, forget your old pally ways. You are now a tank who must LAND
attacks to stay alive. Pallys are balanced in such a way now you really can play 3 different styles. However, if you're looking for the most bang for you buck and to really hold threat and give your healers a helping hand, here's what you're looking for:
Stats - Go Strength! I don't run any Stamina buffs. Early on you may want a little extra stamina, but I made the switch to Strength pretty early gear wise and never looked back. Strength Flask, Strenth Pots, Strength food, Strength Trinkets:
- The 'X' factor in all of this is how much stamina you want? I choose 28000 stamina overall. It works for me, and I'd recommend it as a good starting point.
- 7.5% Hit
- ~15% Exp (yes 15%. For those who disagree, its not only a dps loss, but a healing loss as well).
- whatevers left put into mastery
- You should be using Seal of Insight. Yes I know that seems dumb, you want more Threat. Seal of Insight beats out both others in threat unless you have a **LOT** of mobs stacked up.
- You can switch to the others generally only if threat is not a problem, your party/raid is staying topped of constantly, and you are trying to boost your dps on a single target or on an extreme amount of mobs stacked up.
- Alabaster Shield - Boosts your DPS & Long term threat
- Battle Healer - Heals a LOT which means LOTs of threat
- Your choice (I typically use Divine Protection)
- Divine Purpose - Unless there is a specific high dmg point your CDs can't absorb, i recommend DP. Its up more often giving you more ShoTR hits (or WoG) which boosts DPS / Threat.
- Holy Prism - With Vengence, this can be a huge threat boost. It hits your target pretty hard, then heals 5 party members (smart heals) at the same time.
The purpose behind all of this counter-intuitive setup is this. You make sure your hit, everytime. Everytime you swing your weapon. This means more threat and more holy power. You do not recieve Holy Power if you miss. With so much more Holy Power, you're causing more threat and you're also keeping your Shield of the Righteous up more, meaning you take less dmg. While you're taking less damage and doing more DPS, you're turning a good portion of that into healing. Most fights I now heal for around 50% of what one of healers does in a single target fight. If tanking multiple targets, I can heal equal to the healers or even lead the meters (sometimes by a good portion). That much extra healing helps you hold aggro a lot better and also means you're helping to keep your raid/party alive.
These are obviously what work for ME
. I realize they don't work for everyone, but thats the beauty of paladins now. There is no one "set" way.. Of course I feel my way is the best way
Check out the Theck threads, as he can show you the math behind it...