FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
ragebarr

Blackrock Foundry Protection Warrior Tips and Tricks

This thread is for tips and tricks for each of the fights in Blackrock Foundry. Advice will be added to the main post as it is available. Please feel free to leave any advice you've gleaned from doing the fights. 

Gruul:
  • The physical portion of Inferno Strike is blockable. Try to have both SBlk and SBar up.
  • Make sure you're not moving in too soon for Inferno Strike. You don't want Overwhelming Blows on your raid.

Oregorger:
  • Acid Torrent is not blockable. Have a full SBar up and a CD to reduce the damage.
  • Last Stand will not reduce the damage on your raid from Acid Torrent.
  • Keep within range of your healers during the roll phase. You will still be taking some raid-wide damage.

Blast Furnace:
  • Keep the Shield Guards  a few yards away from whatever your raid is focusing.
  • Your damage matters! Make sure you are focusing targets correctly.
  • Resonating Power is not especially recommended. Wind and Thunder would be better.
  • Glyph of Cleave is great.
  • Go full AoE talents: Dragon Roar, Bladestorm, Ravager.
  • When the boss is out, watch Heat stacks. You gain a stack of Tempered only if your current stack of Heat is higher than your Tempered stacks. Further, Tempered does not go away. Thus, a late taunt will make you or your cotank take significantly more damage for the rest of the fight. Make sure you're taunting as soon as stacks fall. (Essentially, if you have n stacks of Tempered, n+1 stacks of Heat will give you another stack of Tempered.)

Hans'gar and Franzok:
  • Try to use a CD just before you get picked up for Crippling Suplex. I think Hans does the first pickup. Call for an external if you can. It's better to use an external for the Suplex than a personal.
  • During the moving plate phase, you will get hit if you stand on the lines between plates. However, when there are no plates there, you can stand between the belts to prevent yourself from getting pushed back.
  • Be VERY careful if you have Shattered Vertebrae, you will need a hefty CD for Crippling Suplex or you will die.

Flamebender Ka'graz:
  • The stacks from the wolves become dangerous very quickly. Plan to switch every time a new wolf empowers. Utilize big CDs while you have the wolf.

Kromog:
  • Stand with your cotank. Make sure your cotank is standing with you.
  • You don't need to stand in a hand. You can use Charge to prevent the fall damage. This ensures that you don't have issues with Stone Breath. If you Charge the boss, you must make sure that you have stood far enough away that you can Charge at ground level or you will still be considered too close when in the air. If you Charge the hands themselves, you should not have distance issues.
  • Move out for Slam and Charge back in.
  • Stand at max melee range.
  • Fists of Stone is blockable.

Beastlord Darmac:
  • Use Ravager, Bladestorm, and Dragon Roar. You likely won't need all three for each set of adds.
  • Make sure you're not stacked on your cotank when not tanking and make sure you're not within a few yards or your bleed stacks will never drop.
  • After the rylak dies, be aware that the add corpses will leave fire void zones. Tank the adds in good places so the fire is manageable.

Operator Thogar:
  • Keep your eyes on the train doors. Always.
  • AoE talents.
  • Make sure to swap the boss right before the adds trains on lanes 2&3 come out.
  • Many of the adds need to you get in range, then pull them together slowly. They'll start meleeing you if you're in melee range and they'll follow along meleeing you unless you run out of their melee range too quickly. You want to kind of stutter step near the mobs as you pick them up so your group takes less damage and can AoE more effectively. Of course, if you have a DK, just have them Gorefiend's Grasp.

Iron Maidens:
  • Go full AoE talents and keep the bosses close together. Make sure you're benefiting from Cleave.
  • During boat phases, then you're not on the boat, make sure you're just strafing between safe zones. You shouldn't have to move more than a few steps per move.
  • Make sure your melee know to move out a bit from Marak so you can get between the boss and the target of Blood Ritual. If your melee are closer to her than you are, they will take the hit. If a melee gets Blood Ritual, they need to move out a bit so you can see the line.
  • Sounds are very useful! Marak says "Death..." very audibly when she's doing the Blood Ritual.
  • Once one boss hits 20%, all bosses get to 100 energy. Marak's tank needs to rotate CDs. The raid's damage intake is dependent on YOU. The more damage you take, the more you hurt your raid. Keep SBlk up as much as possible, use SBar with all extra raid, keep yourself covered in CDs. Utilize externals.

Blackhand:
  • Make sure you're giving your melee plenty of room to maneuver between bombs and the fire in phase 1.
  • Call your Shattering Smashes on phase 2 so people can get in.
  • When people are sharing your smash, don't move! It'll get them sent off oddly. Position yourself intelligently before the boss gets to 100 energy.
  • Make sure you're just off center during phase 2 so that you and your melee get knocked onto the balconies.
  • If someone pops a bomb and you get hit, you will take 100% more damage. Use a CD!

Kromog: when he does slam, even though its against all you have learn turn and run dont back step, then charge in to get back in melee range to prevent stone breath

Kromog: Fists of Stone is blockable. Depending on your taunt pattern, the active tanking-phase aka taking melees, fists of stone is roughly 2 minutes leading to the next Runes of Grasping Earth phase.

Edited by keaghen

The little-used paladin talent Hand of Purity is spectacular in BRF. Call for your Holy and Retribution paladin teammates to take it on Beastlord, Blast Furnace, and Thogar in particular. Using it on the Thogar tank that has to take 3 stacks of Enkindle during the split phase is especially effective, and it can turn around a Beastlord attempt where a tank ends up with 3 stacks of bleed for some reason.

Beastlord Darmac: Call for a BoP if you accidently refresh your stacks or get unwanted ones.

Call the Pack adds take some time to activate, let them take half a second before trying to bind them to you.

If you have problems keeping them (CoP) in place consider taking Shockwave

Kromog: Anger Management + Glyph of Death from Above lets you have HL up for every Slam, if you prefer another Glyph/Talent Setup try having HL off CD when you have Stacks of Warped Armor .

Sidenote: While its true that you can negate the falling Dmg with Charge, the missing dmg reduction through the hands puts a huge strain on the heals. Try marking your Rune/Hand if you have problems getting out in time.

Edited by keaghen

I have a problem with using Shield Block on Kromog, often times I use it and he immediately begins to cast something, and I cant seem to see a pattern. The only thing I noticed is that using it twice in a row is almost always wasted.

Also Im not sure when to use CDs, since I always run/leap out for slam, I never die to it, but always to melee hits at high stacks of warped armor.

Edited by Calenleya

I have a problem with using Shield Block on Kromog, often times I use it and he immediately begins to cast something, and I cant seem to see a pattern. The only thing I noticed is that using it twice in a row is almost always wasted.

Also Im not sure when to use CDs, since I always run/leap out for slam, I never die to it, but always to melee hits at high stacks of warped armor.

If you have problems with seeing a pattern, try reacting to swings i.e. pool 60 rage wait for 1 swing, cast shield block, so you get one unmitigated swing while the ones following are guaranteed mitigated.

This way you wont waste stacks for situations you dont need them.

Also, you dont have to take the swing completely unmitigated if you can fit a full sbar in between.

Not the best solution but i hope it helps you a bit.

Edited by keaghen

Oregorger: when soaking Acid Torrent as the OT you can have Hand of Protection cast on you and then remove with a cancel aura macro before taunting boss.  Especially useful for warrior tanks on this fight due to how our CDs and AM is structured.  

Also, if you aren't soaking first, taking anger management will allow you to demo shout two acid torrents (#2 and #6).  If you are soaking first this is unnecessary as you can get two acid torrents still (#1 and #7).

Edited by Furiacki

I wasn't able to Charge Kromog to avoid the fall dmg. My icon shows me as in range, but it did nothing. Heroic Leap did work. To use Charge, is there any restriction on it's use (e.g. use going up, down, or should work anytime?).

I wasn't able to Charge Kromog to avoid the fall dmg. My icon shows me as in range, but it did nothing. Heroic Leap did work. To use Charge, is there any restriction on it's use (e.g. use going up, down, or should work anytime?).

Heroic Leap or Intervene works in that case (with a Bop for damage income to cancel)

Edited by epurator

You have to make sure that your horizontal distance from the boss is far enough to allow you to Charge. I usually pick a spot in between the last two rows or so of Grasping Hands.

• Like 1

You have to make sure that your horizontal distance from the boss is far enough to allow you to Charge. I usually pick a spot in between the last two rows or so of Grasping Hands.

Alternatively, you can charge the hands themselves and roar/lolstorm for quick breakouts.

EDIT: and in my experience the hands do not have the horizontal distance issue.

Edited by Furiacki

This was probably my mistake. I wasn't sure if I'd be out of Charge range if I was back at the max range AND up in the air, so I stood closer. When I was up in  the air, my Charge icon indicated range was ok to Charge (from the vertical vector distance), but it wouldn't let me, so I'm thinking my vertical distance gave a false "clear to charge distance" but because my horizontal distance would have been too close to Charge it wouldn't let me. So maybe Charge range is determined by the horizontal component only? I didn't die when I hit the ground, but the healers were none to happy. The next time I used Heroic Leap once the target icon went green on the way down, and I landed taking no damage.

I think Charge's range calculation is just odd. I've noticed I can charge small mobs and critters if I drop down from above, which makes it seem that the distance calculation is an absolute distance. But then you've seen what happens when you try to charge large mobs. So maybe for tall mobs, it calculates based off the edge of the mob instead of the center? Or maybe since it is position-locked, they put a cylinder around the boss that gives you the Charge distance and ending location? If Kromog's distance and ending location were his center, then we might Charge off the edge or be able to Charge standing next to him. It's pure conjecture, either way.

I find that Shockwave is a great ability for Beastlord for the packs.

If tank damage is an issue yes, otherwise bladestorm is too powerful to not use.  I roar one pack and bladestorm the next if three tanking and always on packs or use both when two tanking and taking about every other pack

I think Charge's range calculation is just odd. I've noticed I can charge small mobs and critters if I drop down from above, which makes it seem that the distance calculation is an absolute distance. But then you've seen what happens when you try to charge large mobs. So maybe for tall mobs, it calculates based off the edge of the mob instead of the center? Or maybe since it is position-locked, they put a cylinder around the boss that gives you the Charge distance and ending location? If Kromog's distance and ending location were his center, then we might Charge off the edge or be able to Charge standing next to him. It's pure conjecture, either way.

Charge as an ability is goofy, and as you say is pure conjecture.  Just look at Ultraxion (amongst others) and you can't actually charge him.  Sidenote: why DIDN'T the warrior cross the road?  No path available.

Hello ,

thanx for the tips but it's incomplete i'm afraid.

Could you add some tips for Mythic mode?I'm beginning this mode so i need tips ;)

Sure, thanks for reminding me. I'll try to get to that this weekend. Anything in particular you're looking for? What fight(s) are you starting on? I'll focus on those first.

I managed to kill Oreoger and we are trying darmac atm.

And i have a question about the 4 th beast:

We must tank alondside with the other tank at a specific place so what about the adds?

Shall we both go and take them or just one of us?