FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nikolai

Improve action bars binds?

Hi,

Sorry if the title is confusing, didnt know how to say it.

I have my main bar binded to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, R, F, C, X, Z, Q, E and the lower left bar is the same but with shift.

I try to make this as comfortable as possible to make me not avoiding pressing spells that I should press just because its uncomfortable but I cant. The binds I said above are not enough and F, C, X, Z are uncomfortable to use to direct targeted spells. Of course, the shifted are even worse and I find myself without room for some spells... So I ask you, what can I do? Im totally lost here.

Thanks you very much

I really feel that T and G are great to use, also with shift binds, i also use V on some of my characters.

Besides that you should buy a mouse with a lot of side buttons, if you (like me) don't want to spend a lot of money on a mouse, i'd recommend the World of warcraft mouse (legendary edition) it's cheap and the extra mouse buttons are really easy to use, and i've bound them all + shift.

Another thing you can do if you lack space is to use macros with shift, alt or ctrl options (this doesn't work if you have the keybind bound as shift + key too)

Hi,

What do you mean by macros with shift? Arent these the same as shift+1, for example?

I was thinking about buying a gaming pad. However I wonder which one...

About the mouse, not sure about it. I have had several mouses with side buttons and never worked well for me. Its because is very uncomfortable moving my thumb in the mouse and also I can move the mouse properly if Im pressing a button... Maybe its just training though I can also think that could be my anatomy.

What I'm about to suggest might seem a bit odd, but hear me out on this:

I use an ESDF movement setup, meaning E is foreword, D is back, S is strafe left, and F is strafe right, which is simply WASD shifted over one button. Around that, I use 1-6, a, q, w, r, g, h, and v (I need to add t into this, but I haven't found a need for it yet), and the only buttons that I consider a stretch to reach are v and h, which is why they are usually defensives or abilities I don't use very often (deterrence on hunter, zen med and surging mist on brew monk). I also have a shift mod for each of them giving me a total of 26 different keybind a to work with in a pretty comfortable area. The main spells are located on 2-4, w, r, and q if needed, with g being the main AoE spell (multi shot, spinning crane kick). This is also with a pretty standard 3 button mouse (left, right, and middle), with no actions bound to mouse buttons unless I'm healing, in which case I use healbot which is all mouse over stuff.

With shift, alt and ctrl macros, i mean macros with modifiers.

Fx:

#showtooltip

/cast Arcane Blast

/cast [mod:shift] Arcane Barrage

/cast [mod:ctrl] Arcane Missiles

Or you can put it in one line, and/or make the modifiers changed the spell to hit focus target, which is good for interupting and things like that.

I'm not an expert in making these macros, and someone else might have a better way of making them, but they are really good when you get used to them.

The difference from using macros with modifiers and using keybinds where you have shift + 1 = a spell, is that macros saves space, and can hold 4+ spells (nomod, shift, ctrl, alt)

And about the mouse, it just requires some getting used to as everything else, once you have learned your bindings blindfolded it really comes in handy to use mouse bindings, and the example i gave with the warcraft legendary edition mouse, was only to show you a cheap and good mouse that i enjoy using, but it might not be suited for everyone smile.png

Edited by Troels
  • Like 1

I use a lot of [mod:shift] and [mod:ctrl] macros, and also a few /castsequence for spells that you always use one after the other, and have a similar cooldown. 

I also highly recommend the Razer Naga if you don't already have some sort of gaming mouse. The 12 buttons on the side are amazing once you get used to them. combined with cntrl mods (the naga doesn't like shift mods because I assign keypad buttons to it) and /castsequences I can almost always fit all my cooldowns on the Naga buttons, and then have my primary rotation on just 1-5, or maybe 6 max. and I very rarely ever click anything anymore in combat.

I would simply suggest putting essentials skills on the keybinds you are most comfortable using. For me, that's 1-2-3-4-Q-E-F-C-X with Shift modifier as well and sometimes Alt depending on which one it is. It covers up most essentials ability that might need to be pressed rapidly.