FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
noremac13

Using SimCraft for finding BiS gear and item upgrades?

So my guild uses a loot council system and wants everyone to post things like our stat priorities and BiS gear lists to help them distribute loot properly during the beginning of BRF.

I used to use this program called Rawr back in WotLK and Cataclysm which was another gear simulator although not as robust and lacks many of the options SimCraft has.  Sadly it seems to not be updated any longer so that is no longer an option.

One thing it was good at was creating gear sets from nothing.  You could select all the gear, gems, and enchants you have available and click a calculate button and it would test all the combinations out of what you have and create the best set.

SimCraft doesn't seem to do that from what I can tell.  You need to put the gear in first and it spits out the numbers.  I haven't even figured out how to change gear within the program yet so I have just been making profiles on AskMrRobot and using the SimC export to change just 1 item at a time to figure stuff out.

I've run in on this problem too. I know how to manually change a piece of gear, but it's tedious, and I haven't seen a way to test whole gear sets to find the best combination. I also would like to know if there is such a way.

I've already compiled our BiS list for you guys by the way. It's in my pinned guide at the top of the forum.

I've already compiled our BiS list for you guys by the way. It's in my pinned guide at the top of the forum.

I have really similar lists to yours however I noticed mine would sim lower than the default profile.  For example on my Marksman list I had the Trophy and Trigger like you have, yet that setup would sim like 800-1000 DPS lower than the default profile which uses Trigger and Beating Heart.  It makes sense to me that Beating Heart would be better since it is on-use meaning you can line it up with Rapid Fire and your other cooldowns for maximum benefit.  Although even Effinhunter's EJ post has Trophy ranked the best for MM so I am not sure.

I also noticed like his stat weights for Marksman and BM were very different than the default profile.  Is there something special he is doing to come up with his stat weights and gear profiles?

On a side note I tried downloading that Simcraft Explorer tool from his thread to use all those scripts to run batch Sims but I couldn't get it to work.

zClq4It.png

Probably safe to assume whatever sim you were running had a lot of errors in it or was not up to date or your fight length was not 240-360 like the defaults are now.

As for stat weights. Azor does most of that stuff but from what he's told me, it is not just plugging a default profile in and selecting the stat weights and reforge plot options. It's a lot more than that. It's not my forte because frankly it confuses the ever living hell out of me.

They're probably using golden ratios which Effin has talked about in the SV EJ thread.

Essentially, these are the golden ratios where output is highest for SV:

MS: 1400 - 1650

Crit: 800 - 1250
Mastery: 500 - 850
Haste: 400 - 600
Versatility: 300 - 500

This means when stats are above/below this range, their worth is magnified/reduced.
Edited by Syncness

Yeah I remember reading that a while ago, however our BiS list gets us to a bit over 2k MS unbuffed. The exact numbers without sockets or anything.

Multi: 2020

Crit: 695

M: 647

H: 588

V: 346

Which our lower stats fall in line with, however more Multi, up to the Multi cap, can't really be a bad thing, it is nearly twice as good as our next best stat, so lowering our crit (3rd) out of the perfect range, to increase Multi (1st) is inadvisable.

Edit: These numbers are rough estimates actually because I just grabbed a BiS list with AMR and it has the 690 ring. Blah blah you get the point.

Probably safe to assume whatever sim you were running had a lot of errors in it or was not up to date or your fight length was not 240-360 like the defaults are now.

As for stat weights. Azor does most of that stuff but from what he's told me, it is not just plugging a default profile in and selecting the stat weights and reforge plot options. It's a lot more than that. It's not my forte because frankly it confuses the ever living hell out of me.

Oh yeah it seems mine is set at a fight length of 360-540.  When did they change it?  I have 603-26 and it defaults to 450s length with 20% variation.

Oh yeah it seems mine is set at a fight length of 360-540.  When did they change it?  I have 603-26 and it defaults to 450s length with 20% variation.

It defaults to that still, they just changed it when the ran everything.

Yeah I remember reading that a while ago, however our BiS list gets us to a bit over 2k MS unbuffed. The exact numbers without sockets or anything.

Multi: 2020

Crit: 695

M: 647

H: 588

V: 346

Which our lower stats fall in line with, however more Multi, up to the Multi cap, can't really be a bad thing, it is nearly twice as good as our next best stat, so lowering our crit (3rd) out of the perfect range, to increase Multi (1st) is inadvisable.

Edit: These numbers are rough estimates actually because I just grabbed a BiS list with AMR and it has the 690 ring. Blah blah you get the point.

They can be a bad thing due to how good one stat is in relation to another.

Whilst one MS at 1000 MS is worth like 4.0 DPS, at 2000MS, the 1000 increase in MS might not be as great as a 1000 stat optimal spread across the other secondaries. This is exactly what the golden ratios revolve around.

Another way to think of it is that at 0% crit it has no affect on our DPS, but as crit gets higher its contribution to our DPS becomes far greater.

Edited by Syncness