FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
ralwn

Brm: Is T17 worth using?

Link for stats / bonuses

As far as stats go, the helmet looks ultra bad with haste + multistrike (both doing either nothing or next to nothing for our mitigation). Going for 4-piece would mean that you would have to take the haste-focused chestpiece (which sucks worse since chest / head / leggings have the highest allocation of stats of any armor piece so getting haste on these pieces would be worse than say on a ring or neck)

The 2 piece seems pretty good for ChEx and aoe and will likely let someone drop 100-200 haste without noticing a rotational difference (except in cases of extreme niche like surge spamming).

The 4 piece seems to really pigeon-hole specific gearing / talent choices. The fact that you have to purify a yellow+ stagger to proc it probably wont take ChEx out of the running but it definitely seems useless with a crit build which seems to be giving the biggest dps returns when looking at the armories of monks that rank. (Will include standard disclaimer that dps doesn't matter until your mitigation is already solid: no potshots over this please). The bonus really seems oriented towards a serenity build and mastery gearing.

What are your thoughts on this tier? Personally, I haven't decided if I'll get 4-piece or just the 2-piece.

Monks are mostly geared for Mastery stacking no matter what. It gives by far the biggest bang for your buck in terms of mitigation with fairly good DPS. If you're doing Mythic raiding you either need very solid healers or a total disregard for survivability if you want to go with anything other then mastery.

Crit is totally doable, but it does sacrifice a large amount of mitigation in return for DPS. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/7#class=Monk&spec=Brewmaster&metric=ehrps

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/7#class=Monk&spec=Brewmaster

All Star rankings for BM tanking, note that only ONE of them is in BOTH the top 10 for survivability AND DPS. And even he goes from #1 DPS to #8 survivability.

So lets look at this line by line. No matter what you take the tier legs and gloves (since they are better stats then the off set) you get the 2pc and the 2pc isn't totally useless so there is no reason to avoid it. This leaves you with head, shoulder, and chest. 

Tier head you no matter what will ignore since it is shockingly bad and you get the Acidic Jaws instead.

Leaves Chest and Shoulders left.

Mythic Tier Chest and Shoulders gives you:

• 153 Mastery
  • 179 Crit
  • 219 Haste
  • 153 Multi

Mythic Off-Set Chest and Shoulder gives you:

• 164 Mastery
  • 333 Crit
  • 0 Haste
  • 207 Multi

So ignoring the 4pc gives you 11 Mastery, 154 Crit, 54 Multi, -219 Haste Vs. getting the T17 4pc.

TL;DR:

If your ONLY goal is max DPS, getting the 2pc T17 and getting Off-Set items for the rest is best. But getting the T17 costs you VERY little DPS stats and gives you a fairly good mitigation bonus.

You only want to be going for the 2pc bonus, the legs & gloves are the only viable choice unfortunately.

The 4 set from T17 is pretty useless, If you're running Serenity all you do is purify and you'll rarely trigger the 4pc bonus. If you're running ChiEx you'll be purifying before you trigger it as well.

2pc + offsets are the only viable option. Enjoy :) 

Am I missing something?
4pc bonus is "Purifying Brew generates one stack of Elusive Brew", why wouldn't it trigger? 

Edited by Chie

2pc + offsets are the only viable option. Enjoy smile.png

That isn't even remotely true.

Am I missing something?

4pc bonus is "Purifying Brew generates one stack of Elusive Brew", why wouldn't it trigger? 

6.1 spell changes (or it might be current and 6.1 is tooltip changes, Im not sure) make it only trigger off of yellow or red stagger.

Looking at my logs and logs of  other monks, I can't see how someone would say that it would not trigger at all or that it is useless.

Looking at my logs and logs of  other monks, I can't see how someone would say that it would not trigger at all or that it is useless.

But is it worth the useless haste that you're getting? Especially when that could be more crit or mastery, both increase survivability anyway (probably more than an extra few elusive brew would).

It's worth testing but I'm probably sticking with 2pc.

But is it worth the useless haste that you're getting? Especially when that could be more crit or mastery, both increase survivability anyway (probably more than an extra few elusive brew would).

So ignoring the 4pc gives you 11 Mastery, 154 Crit, 54 Multi, -219 Haste Vs. getting the T17 4pc.

I literally just posted the math for you to see.

Ignoring the 4pc only gets you 11 Mastery, 154 Crit, and 54 multi.

Haste is only something that you don't NEED, it doesn't HURT you though. The gain from haste is very small, but it doesn't hurt you other then by not being something better.

4pc is built for having more mastery though, so if you're using a crit heavy build then you won't get as much use out of it as someone that is running a mastery build. Such case then you should probably ignore the 4pc and just get the off items since you'll grab the extra crit which is better for your build anyways. But if you run mastery build the 4pc will be rather nice to have.

He has literally posted the math himself to prove the pc stats are worthless. From a minmax PoV the offsets are better.

Crit is more than just a DPS gain. You're forgetting you're very rarely tanking 100% of the time on bosses. Crit allows you to build up elusive brew whilst offtanking and then have near 100% uptime when you are, not to mention the 2pc bonus which will give you energy for dodging, which equals more chi, which equals more DPS/Survivability.

I said the 4pc is useless because it only counts on moderate stagger, which you'll rarely hit.

If you want to achieve the best balance between crit/mastery, then legs + hands tier is best with offsets on the rest.

• Like 2

I said the 4pc is useless because it only counts on moderate stagger, which you'll rarely hit.

If you want to achieve the best balance between crit/mastery, then legs + hands tier is best with offsets on the rest.

^^ This, was in the middle of writing a reply when this was posted, you can look at the logs linked above as well for dps/survivability I Assume Every1 is on about Misume who posts "elsewhere" if he took the 4 piece its literally 1 elusive brew every ~20s over the course of a fight, not going to make the slightest difference to anything

^^ This, was in the middle of writing a reply when this was posted, you can look at the logs linked above as well for dps/survivability I Assume Every1 is on about Misume who posts "elsewhere" if he took the 4 piece its literally 1 elusive brew every ~20s over the course of a fight, not going to make the slightest difference to anything

Especially considering with higher gear levels, your elusive brew availability will naturally go up, so the gain is gonna be minimal regardless.

Reran math and looked at logs again, I think I see what you guys are seeing. But something is missing still.

EDIT: Ya, I had a major error in my spreadsheet that was throwing everything off. Fixed it and now everything is making much more sense.