Topic Details

Help with DPS as Demo Lock on Wind Lord Mel'jarak

10 replies to this topic Started by purpleblaze81, Nov 26 2012 08:45 PM Wind Lord Meljarak demo lock
- - - - -
  • Please log in to reply

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

purpleblaze81
  • purpleblaze81
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Hi, my guild is having trouble getting the adds down fast enough to not hit the enrage. My dps is currently the lowest, since I used to play destro and is the spec I know the most. Since I know demo is optimal for aoe, I could use some tips. I'm currently only able to maintain 80k, and I have pretty decent gear. I know I'm missing something key.

I'm in destro spec atm on this armory, but here is a link to my gear. It's forged and gemmed mastery from when I was demo tho.
http://us.battle.net...as/Acara/simple

ANY help would be great, cause I'm about to be sat from the core group if I can't get the dps up. Goal is 100k+.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Gravyspasm
  • Gravyspasm
  • Grand Master
  • LocationCoral Springs, Florida. USA. Earth.
for those about to ask, here's a link to Acara's world o' flogs http://www.worldoflo.../guilds/196341/ I have very, very, very little knowledge of this fight. I've only experienced it on LFR, so my question is going to sound absurd, but i'm genuinely curious: What is killing you mid fight? I see you getting b-rezed a lot on the overalls. as an aside, congrats on your ranking back on the 17th.

“I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

Previously a.k.a Augos @ Deathwing/Ravenholdt/Shadowsong/Garrosh/Turalyon servers.

RwJ7ER8.png

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Zagam
  • Zagam
  • Sha of Fel Magic
  • LocationMorgantown, WV
Use your Infernal. Doomguard has no place here. For sustained AoE, you want to take Harvest Life. Set up your AoE by using your Wild Imps then put Corruption on everything. Once Corruption is applied, you should be nearly full on Demonic Fury. At this point, pop Dark Soul, Metamorphosis, Immolation Aura, Wrathstorm, and Fel Ray. Fel Ray will refresh Corruption on all targets it hits. After you do that once, use Harvest Life to generate as much Demonic Fury as possible only stopping to refresh Corruption with Fel Ray and to refresh Immolation Aura. Using Soul Harvest after you run out of Demonic Fury will restore your Demonic Fury at a very rapid pace. Do this until you're down to 4 or less targets. At 4 or less, keep Corruption and Doom up on every single one while using Hellfire and Wrathstorm off CD. Pop Meta when possible and use your Imps to power your Demonic Fury gains.

Raid Leader of <Semi Respectable> - US-Mal'Ganis, 14/14H

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/icyveinszagam

Gear, Parses, and Achievements - WoW-Heroes Profile & Rankings

Log Analysis Sign-ups here!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

purpleblaze81
  • purpleblaze81
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
oh, I was rezzing, not dying

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

purpleblaze81
  • purpleblaze81
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Thank you Zagam. I'll try some of this. I'm fairly new to demo and it seems to take a bit of practice I've always been destro, since BC.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Strakh
  • Strakh
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR

Use your Infernal. Doomguard has no place here.

For sustained AoE, you want to take Harvest Life. Set up your AoE by using your Wild Imps then put Corruption on everything. Once Corruption is applied, you should be nearly full on Demonic Fury. At this point, pop Dark Soul, Metamorphosis, Immolation Aura, Wrathstorm, and Fel Ray. Fel Ray will refresh Corruption on all targets it hits. After you do that once, use Harvest Life to generate as much Demonic Fury as possible only stopping to refresh Corruption with Fel Ray and to refresh Immolation Aura. Using Soul Harvest after you run out of Demonic Fury will restore your Demonic Fury at a very rapid pace. Do this until you're down to 4 or less targets.

At 4 or less, keep Corruption and Doom up on every single one while using Hellfire and Wrathstorm off CD. Pop Meta when possible and use your Imps to power your Demonic Fury gains.

Nooooo, nonono.

First of all, Harvest Life costs Demonic Fury while in Metapmorphasis, and it has negligible damage compared to better uses of your fury.

Secondly, your damage will mostly consist of DoT spells over the course of this fight. It's best to keep Corruption and Doom on every single target right from the beginning, and you should pretty much never be using single-target spells while more than 4 adds are alive (and one group of them isn't too high on health, obviously).

Third, you should be using this macro:

#showtooltip Metamorphasis
/use [noform:1] Metamorphasis
/cancelaura [form:1] Metamorphasis

This'll give you a button that will drop you out of Meta form if you press it again at any time while in Meta form. Much better than having a 10-second wait time on the default stance button!

The trick here is to try and keep floating between 400 and 900 Demonic Fury throughout the encounter. The best way to get this started is something like this.

-At the beginning of the fight, prepot and use your Wild Imps and your Wrathguard/Felguard's whirlwind when he is in range of all targets.
-Put Corruption on every single kill target, and drop a Hand of Gul'dan. (Save 1 charge of this at all times, but never sit on 2 charges)
-When you are around 700 DF, swap to Meta form, use Dark Soul/any on-use trinkets and apply Doom to everything. You probably won't have enough fury to do this AND channel Immo Aura, so don't bother. Before leaving Meta form, drop 2 Chaos Waves, and stay in that form and cast a Void Ray until both waves land.
-When your CW's land, swap back to caster form and proceed to Harvest Life until you are around 900 fury. If you accidentally let Corruption fall off of something, now is a good time to re-apply.
-Pop Meta at 900 fury, and channel Immo Aura while weaving Void Rays and Touch of Chaos until you are back to about 400 fury. Use any Chaos Waves you get in the meantime, but make sure you don't cast them when you are too low of fury, or when you're about to leave Meta form.

You'll pretty much be repeating the last two steps ad infinitum. The reason I never use Hand of Gul'dan in this fight is simple: I'm not doing much single-target casting, and Harvest Life/Corruption are generating more fury than I can spend, more often than not. Chaos Wave, however, does an insane amount of damage on this fight, so utilize it.

And for God's sake, don't use Mannoroth's Fury on this fight. You'd be amazed how easy it is to clip a CC'd target.

EDIT: And yes, use an Infernal for this. But do NOT drop it on top of the mob pack, or you'll make Mel'jorak clear all CC on his entire team. Drop him away from everyone, and let his little green ass walk over to 'em.

Edited by Strakh, 26 November 2012 - 11:28 PM.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

Chobani
  • Chobani
  • Worker
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Is Demo still viable even with the wand bug?

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Zagam
  • Zagam
  • Sha of Fel Magic
  • LocationMorgantown, WV

And for God's sake, don't use Mannoroth's Fury on this fight. You'd be amazed how easy it is to clip a CC'd target.

EDIT: And yes, use an Infernal for this. But do NOT drop it on top of the mob pack, or you'll make Mel'jorak clear all CC on his entire team. Drop him away from everyone, and let his little green ass walk over to 'em.

Thanks for the clarification on the DoT part. Didn't realize maintaining DoTs took priority over Immo Aura and damage via Harvest Soul. I agree on Mannoroth's Fury, but since 5.1 hits today, everyone should be taking Kil'jaeden's Cunning. I will, however, confirm that dropping your Infernal on the mob does NOT let him reset everyone's CC. The only CC that 'counts' on this fight are casted CC's such as Fear, Polymorph, Freezing Trap, Hex, etc. The Infernal stun doesn't even work on them, so there's no reason NOT to use the Infernal's DPS from landing on everything.

I did notice a slight worrysome bug last night. My Infernal Awakening ability did 180k DPS upon landing (reasonable hitting 6 targets) but then his Immolation Aura only did another 180k damage. This seems highly unreasonable hitting 6 targets for a minute. Not sure if this is intended or not, but I switched from using the Infernal last night to the Doomguard at 20% (boss is taking 100% more damage + 20% Doomguard execute) and my DPS as Affliction went up significantly. I didn't play this fight as Demonology, so I can't vouch for the Abyssal, but perhaps tonight I'll get to throw some bodies at it. (Would have downed it last night if I didn't have one raid member each attempt derp and hit a bloody Wind Bomb so you can play Affliction here).

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

joe90
  • joe90
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Can someone explain why keeping it between 800-200 is relevant, i just let it charge up and use it/switch out as I see fit?

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Zagam
  • Zagam
  • Sha of Fel Magic
  • LocationMorgantown, WV
Control of your Demonic Fury allows you to maintain uptime on your DoTs as well as having control to pop Metamorphosis when a trinket proc happens or Dark Soul comes off cooldown.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

joe90
  • joe90
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
But why the significance of the numbers 200-700? I just pop trinkets asap, then put on dots/refresh then meta - put on doom/refresh.. then just nuke/HL for AOE in meta until it runs out (or corruption needs refreshing) which i can do with void ray, then when it runs out pop back to normal and fire off all the procs.. (which time DF builds up again, in time for teh cooldowns on DS/Trinket).. Im guessing you mean to time it so you spend max time (or trinket/DS proc time) in meta, and don't pre pop back to normal before the trinket stops working.. that way you max your trinket/DS in Meta all the time..

Edited by joe90, 28 November 2012 - 05:22 PM.

Active Users

0 user(s) are browsing this forum 0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users