FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Hearthstone Rogue Oil TGT

Guest iEatChildren

Can I replace VanCleef with Dr. Boom?

Not the first card i'd choose to put in, but yes, it's viable.

Thanks for the reply. So then what would you choose instead?

Guest Sail0rmutant

Pretty much awesome explanation of decks' strong and weak sides and play-style. I am not a newbie to HS (or maybe I want to think so lol), but Rogue decks were always my weakness. And this deck explanation gave me a shitload of useful information to undertand rogues' game mechanic, advantages and disadvantages.

(I have to apologize for my bad english - it's not my native language)

Guest Isha

Hi, im currently playing oil rogue, with slight changes with BGH instead of VC and Assasin's blade instead of loatheb. Since I just got Loatheb, I want to include it, but so far both BGH and Blade have been serving me really well, enabling me to win vs control decks I never had a chance to before, so, I'm thinking of replacing either one of the teachers or another Shredder, but I'm really not sure on this one. Or should I just kick Assasin's blade out and hope BGH is enough? 

Guest Testo

Hi, can beneath the ground and anub´arak work in an oil rogue? 

Guest Righteousness

Hello guys i got a problem. I don t have thalinos what do i put in his plae ? also i got sylvannas instead of loatheb is it ok?

kobold or loothoard for geomancer, your preference, I wouldn't use sylvanas in this deck as she is probably too slow, loatheb is pretty unique in this deck, but you could cut for shredder, farseer, or maybe boom

• Like 1

Guest oxygn

I don't have Naxx, what can I replace the naxs cards with? If at all.

Because Poisoned Blade is one of the absolute worst cards in Hearthstone. You spend 4 Mana to equip a useless weapon, and then have to Hero Power multiple times to get it up to a reasonable level, and during that time not attack with the weapon to get it up to a reasonable power before you waste all the charges.

You end up investing 8-10 Mana into the card before it actually does anything useful, that's miles too slow. Compare what it does to Tinker Oil for the same Mana cost, and Tinker Oil can be Prep'd

Why isn't poisoned blade used in this deck?

Because, out side of very very niche decks, it is pretty terrible.  It takes several turns and a lot of mana to get any amount of value out of it, and rogues run on a very tight curve in both senses.  You generally can't afford that many turns or that much mana without falling far behind.

On another note, can someone give me some advice on the match up against dragon priest?  Most other sites that post stats have dragon priest to be a favorable match up for oil rogue, but it seems to be my worst match up by far.  The shear amount of high health taunts in the deck give me problems, not to mention half the time I just feel like I am completely out-valued, between the high value of their minions in general, 3/5 on turn 3, 3/6 on turn 4 etc, and their hero power, I find myself falling behind on the board too far to catch back up.  That being said, it does require them to have dragons in their hand for that value to take effect, but it has never seemed to be a problem in most of the match ups I have had against them.  Lastly, Velens chosen can single handedly win a game if I don't have a timely sap to get rid of it.  Going into late game, I feel the match up is more manageable, but I always seem to lack lethal by very small amounts, like 2-5 health.  Against most decks, I have a spare eviscerate in hand, or can sprint into one to close out the last little bits of damage, but I find myself being forced to use them early to stay on board an keep any semblance of tempo.  Any help appreciated.

You should be favoured against Dragon priest. Play bit more proactive could be good. Using your resources well is extremely important. Knowing when to go face and when to go against a minion is important. Try to win before turn 9 or just sap Ysera if they play it and tempo hard that turn. Double attacking is tricky and can be both very rewarding and really punishing.

Playing against Dragon Priest is very much like playing against Midrange Paladin, you just want to look for a swing turn with Prep to reverse the board. Play a minion, and Prep a Sap or an Evid to get ahead, Priest isn't good at playing things and killing your things in the same turn, so they usually have to pick one or the other.

Guest Paul R.

I am totally at a loss at how this deck even works... I've played it a dozen times and been destroyed every time, not even slightly competitive.  There's not enough draw to keep up, the damage dealers aren't powerful enough to keep up against anything... what am I missing here?

I am totally at a loss at how this deck even works... I've played it a dozen times and been destroyed every time, not even slightly competitive.  There's not enough draw to keep up, the damage dealers aren't powerful enough to keep up against anything... what am I missing here?

Oil rogue is one of the harder decks to play and one of the decks I would definitely not recommend to a new player (I am not saying that you are one). The deck plays differently with each matchup and you have to plan a few turns ahead. This video should summarize the way it is played. If it isn't enough, feel free to PM me and I will try my best to help you.

Guest Paul R.

Oil rogue is one of the harder decks to play and one of the decks I would definitely not recommend to a new player (I am not saying that you are one). The deck plays differently with each matchup and you have to plan a few turns ahead. This video should summarize the way it is played. If it isn't enough, feel free to PM me and I will try my best to help you.

Been away for a while, but definitely not a new player.  Trying to get back into the flow of things.  Maybe that was it... it's worked a bit better since I made a few personalized tweaks to it (don't have Thalanos, use KG; Violet was a mana drain at that spot with no working upside, replaced with a Shiv (for card advantage early) and Sabotage (for those things that NEED to die); and Loatheb with BGH (although I do see how, if you know you have lethal in-hand 1 turn out, her lockout would ease that victory).

I think my biggest concern with this deck is the very first step... getting a good draw.  Unlike Magic, where you can recover from a damaged 6-7 card hand, HS is a 3 card hand... if I get Sprint, Sprint, Shredder... I'm at the mercy of a 3 in 27 hope of stability or I'm liable to get steamrolled.  I think that was the weakness I encountered yesterday... there's just no way to recover from a bad draw... either you have the removal/stability right out of the gate or... better luck next time?

The only change I would actually do would be the KG / Thalnos. The other changes are just not really needed. The Teacher/Shredder setup is 2:1, if it doesn't work, play 1:2. 

As I said previously, rogue is hard to play. You need to know when to tempo hard and when to just "let go". I guess that you are a MtG player. This is why you probably "waste" cards. You don't have to care that much about card advantage in MtG and therefore you play cards carelessly because you still have a lot of them remaining. Hearthstone is basically the opposite where you need to maximise the potential of cards and even be greedy sometimes. 

Can i swap 2 Violet Teachers or 1 for a Sludge Belcher ?

If you have problems with aggro, Sap would be probably the card to be teched out.

Guest Nameless

Do you think the new Tomb Pillager fits in this deck? I put him in for VanCleef since I don't have it.

Guest Jappie

Hello! Thanks for the deck. I have a question: why do you put an antique healbot in this deck but a sludge belcher in the version with loe/brm? Is there a specific reason?

Hello! Thanks for the deck. I have a question: why do you put an antique healbot in this deck but a sludge belcher in the version with loe/brm? Is there a specific reason?

Belchers has a higher minion value. He is better against big minions (such as Mytsterious Challenger), but worse against decks with burn spells(aggro shaman). I think they are interchangeable if you tand to lose more against the other type of decks. However, the opponent will usually use Silence on Edwin/Teacher and Belcher will get the full value.

Sign in to follow this