FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
scubasme

MW overhealing like a boss

My monk is my alt but I really enjoy MW healing and do rarely well. Some fights I pull 30-40k other fights I suck balls. I looked at a recent flame bender logg and realized I did 64% overhealing. Any advice to this on how I can improve? Also at end of the encounter I was oom. I feel like this was because during firestorm I felt forced to RJW or everyone would die.

Here is the logs https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/abvm8CD3LdjYGVT7#fight=2&type=healing

Armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Zøa/simple

I am also having this issue with Velen-Pananarama.  During raids I can heal wonderfully!  But during Heroics I was having trouble keeping up.

I had no problems during Pandaria for either Heroics or Raids.  

I've had to switch to Brewmaster to get my initial Heroics completed as I kept getting booted from Heroic runs.  Really frustrated as I will run OOM and I feel I am overhealing most of the time, but can't figure out where to slow down and focus.

I love Mistweaver too. Even though I normally tank, I like the playstyle enough that I make an exception for Monks. I played MW a lot in MoP and have kept it up in WoD. I think in general, you're healing like a raid healer regardless of whether that's what is needed at the moment. In MoP, everyone could basically be a raid healer all the time and it wasn't really a big deal because we couldn't run out of mana. In WoD, the single-target healing spells are equally important.

- Default to Soothing Mist when you don't really need to be using anything else. This should have made up a much higher percentage of your casts. It's efficient and cheap.

- There were a lot of unnecessary uses of Uplift. If you don't have 6+ targets with ReM on them that can benefit from Uplift, use the chi to drop an Enveloping Mist on a low health target instead. That should reduce overhealing.

- Don't bother with Detonate Chi; it is generally too expensive for what it does for you.

I've mained my mistweaver through half of highmaul and 9/10 normal, 7/10 heroic brf. I'm by no means an expert, but I aswell, try to improve where i can. If anyone has some new insights anyone can learn from, please feel free to comment.

Judged by your logs, you are doing fine raid healing wise. It is normal for RJW to drain your mana really quickly. If you want to counter this, try to fistweave at least till the boss hits 25 energy, preferably untill just before the dogs spawn. The boss doesn't do that much damage in those phases, and you can still do around 20k hps and helping the raid doing damage (around 15k dps should be reachable). Fistweaving also lets you use your mana more freely when you need it. You can take a look at my logs. I always try to fistweave as much as possible, because I like the playstyle and it helps a lot with mana management. I usually go into the firestorms with around 16 stacks of mana tea and 50% mana left. Afterwards, my mana is at a comfortable ~75% again. I barely made it out of the fight without going oom, but if i hadn't fistwove? fistweaved?, I would have gone oom for sure.

Also, like Tarazet mentioned, try to default to soothing mist if you can not fistweave and there is not a lot damage going out. 

Detonate Chi is only useful when fully fistweaving and using Chi Ex imo. Using it after 2 4 chi Chi Ex does a lot of burst healing, but it does have a high mana cost and the spheres will detonate anyways without you using any mana.

Also judging from your logs, it might be helpful to not stack all healing cooldowns in one phase, but split the usage so every firestorm is covered by at least 1 cooldown. This helps a lot in mana management as well. 

On the overhealing, try to prepare for incoming damage, rather than react to it. If a firestorm is inbound, make sure you have full chi and your renewing mist is on cooldown (all stacks used in quick succession). Then cast uplift in such a manner that the first tick of firestorm lands just before you finish casting, if you do this correctly, and look at other fights where this is also possible, your overhealing will go down to around 35%, maybe even lower.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fDrTvqxPj6dwyFJZ#fight=8&type=healing&source=15