FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Looseball

Cruddy single target DPS as Combat...

So I don't have the best gear in the world at the moment, but I'm ilvl 666, all gear enchanted except my secondary weapon, main hand has Mark of Warsong on it.  I have followed all the guides on icy-veins.com, tried variants of them, etc.  Warcraft logs shows me what other Rogues of my ilvl are pulling on certain fights, and I am nowhere near them.

Been playing Rogue since 2004.  Never have I had this problem with previous expansions, in fact in Cata myself and guildies were tops in North America for DPS on certain fights.  So I would like to think I have an idea how to play the class.

Problem is...I am pulling nowhere near what I should, and I have no idea where I am going wrong.  Other Rogues are hitting 30+k on single target fights as Combat, while I barely manage to pull 20k.  

Multi-target fights I have zero issue, it only seems to arise when the fight is single target.  Kromog for example, last night I was pulling 19k.  Switch to Maidens and I'm around 35-40k depending on how often I get targeted by mechanics.

Before it's said, yeah I know Mutilate and Assassination are way better apparently for single target fights (which  I am currently gearing for due to my lack of DPS in Combat)....But my problem is that I can't figure out why other Combat Rogues with the same ilvl gear are able to pull so much more DPS.  

My rotation is the one on icy-veins guide:

Stealth > Ambush > Revealing Strike > Sin strike til 5 CP > Slice n Dice > Sin strike again until 5 CP > Evis...Keeping revealing strike up when it's cooldown is close to disappearing.

Is icy-veins really just not that correct or am I missing something here?

Without a Log from the fight to actually show us what you're doing during an encounter, there's no real way for us to tell you. 

If you can post a link to a Warcraftlogs or something similar, we can help show you where you're going wrong

Also post your armory. Perhaps your itemization isn't the best optimized for Combat.

And Mutilate = Assassination. Perhaps you meant Subtlety?

Hey sorry I couldn't edit my post until an administrator approved it.  Just got home so here's an update:

My Armory :   http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Looseballs/simple

Also yeah I know I probably am not fully optimized for combat after looking it over, but surely more than 19k should be possible....Also yes I meant Subtlety.

About the warcraft logs thing...How do I go about posting that?  The website wacraftlogs.com seems to be down at the moment if that's where I go.

Feel free to berate me, etc.  Whatever will make my DPS higher in the end!

Edited by Looseball

First question: with who you're comparing yourself to? Hard to see what they're doing different than you if we don't have those infos (logs).

Second: looking at your armory, I've spotted few mistakes. Energy Flows in PvE is 99% of time useless. I don't think there's a fight you'll be evasion tanking anything, so that glyph is a no-go.

Third:

- Change Cloak and Dagger. That severely cuts your mobility (and thus part of your DPS). You'd have to blow a Vanish everytime you were far from the boss and wanted to move over. Shadowstep or BoS are great picks, CnD is a dead talent. Avoid.

- This isn't really DPS-related, but use Cheat Death only to cheese mechanics or if the fight is really strange to you and you need a cushion. Else run Elusiveness.

I wonder if the glyph of Energy is good besides Disappearance. Using Vanish on 1 min basis is a huge DPS increase over the fight. Experiment with it.

Second: looking at your armory, I've spotted few mistakes. Energy Flows in PvE is 99% of time useless. I don't think there's a fight you'll be evasion tanking anything, so that glyph is a no-go.

Ah, but that 1% for Twins is really fun lol

I tried to look you up on warcraftlogs, but the only record I could find was a single gruul fight from Feb 24th...not sure if you have more recent logs but they would definitely be very helpful.

The main thing that jumps out at me from your armory is that you've enchanted haste on all your slots. Haste is combat's best stat (for single target), but combat shines in multi-target scenarios and so general practice is to enchant/gem for multistrike.  This also provides better synergy with sub spec which most ppl run as their second spec.

Be careful as well on comparing DPS as combat on a fight like Kromog.  You might be looking at rogues who intentionally save spree/AR for hands phase in order to pad numbers.  As a general rule be a bit wary of logs in the 90th+ percentile because there are a number of guilds/players who have content on farm who pad numbers for fun.  From a purely single target perspective, you also need to be aware that getting lucky with the combat 4pc can greatly impact single target performance. 

If possible post logs and you'll likely get far more personalized feedback.