FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
MarkusFiligree

Prot Paladin Threat/DPS question

I'm having an odd issue with my tanking.  Survuvability for the most part isnt the issue, its more that our other tank is consistantly able to pull threat from me.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

An example of when he pulled threat was on the pigs before Heroic Butcher.  I was on one of them exclusively for about a minute while the other one was taken down.  when the other tank swapped to the pig I was on, he managd to pull threat.  I even taunted,  and he STILL was able to pull off of me.  He swears that he didn't taunt it, so I'm at a loss.

Trash is one thing, however Its happened during boss fights as well.  It happened on Heoric Butcher last night as well.  Am I doing something wrong?  Should be DPS be higher?  Or is it something he's doing?

I can't hit the armory from my work, but here is my AMR profile:

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/player/us/aggramar/kerthmash

and the logs:

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/29e03381-ead4-4a42-9eae-93f47ad9b8da/overview

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wntl9dyy84ir3v3z/

any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi

I am having exactly the same problem. Maybe even worse, as we are progressing thru BRF at the moment, my guild tank mate (Druid) will over aggro me within 5-6 seconds no matter what i do. I have my stats priority in mastery/haste, and i was thinking if i should change my priorities towards higher dmg output, but as i see, you have pretty balanced secondary stats with same problem... Not to mantion without reforging in game, its somewhat harder to change you secondary stat priority. I wonder is i whould even bother, if the effect can actually change anything. Until then, iam kinda lost...

I would suggest trying out the Seraphim talent, it allows you to burst extremely high at the start and manage your threat better than holy shield does. Possibly Sanctified Wrath talent as well for the extra dps. 

Looking at your logs for butcher you should be able to push more dps than you currently are. Try the SW/ES/Sera build with the wrath glyph. 

I can break this down further if you like but i'm at work currently. 

Edited by Nauss

I would suggest trying out the Seraphim talent, it allows you to burst extremely high at the start and manage your threat better than holy shield does. Possibly Sanctified Wrath talent as well for the extra dps. 

Looking at your logs for butcher you should be able to push more dps than you currently are. Try the SW/ES/Sera build with the wrath glyph. 

I can break this down further if you like but i'm at work currently. 

I tried seraphim,  however not with ES and SW.  I stuck with Divine purpose.  I'll have to give it a try next raid.  How's survivability with those talents?

I tried seraphim,  however not with ES and SW.  I stuck with Divine purpose.  I'll have to give it a try next raid.  How's survivability with those talents?

Whilst Seraphim is active (15 seconds) your survivability is excellent, once it drops you need to have 5 holy power pooled for a quick double hit of Shield of the Righteous then when there is 8 seconds left on your seraphim cooldown (30 seconds total) you use divine protection (i find this a really good time to refresh sacred shield) and start pooling holy power for another seraphim, rinse and repeat this gives you complete coverage of at least 20% damage reduction. you can probably squeeze in another SotR before you start pooling holy power for seraphim too. 

Its a bit of a complex rotation but once you get it down its very strong. i would suggest using Thecks weak aura strings to help you manage it whilst you learn the rotation http://www.sacredduty.net/weakauras-strings/ 

Execution Sentence can be used as a nice big heal but in my opinion it is much better for a single target dps boost (use lights hammer for AoE) 

Sactified Wrath grants holy power and makes holy wrath your highest damage spell in your rotation this in turn makes it easier for you to pool your holy power at the correct times. it also buffs your AoE snap aggro tool and can be very helpful in fight like Beastlord Darmac. 

Divine purpose will give you better SotR uptime whilst seraphim is on cooldown but the dps increase from Sanctified Wrath (combined with the Final Wrath Glyph) is lovely. Obviously this is more personal preference and if you feel you need a little more survivability then feel free to use DP. 

Edited by Nauss

Yeah,  I've been using Theck's strings for a while. They're the bomb..LOL

I'll try swapping my talents as you suggested.  see how it works out for me.  I had initially went with holy shield due to my general noobness as a tank.  I healed the last xpac, and only picked up the tank role because our previous offtank couldnt fill the role anymore.

I think ive got it down now though, so swapping things around shoudlnt be too much of a learning curve.

Well good luck and please feel free to drop me a PM if you need any advice or further help.