FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
obmckenzie

How do I do better?

Quick Background: My guild fell apart 2 weeks ago and as such I am looking for a new preminent home as well as switching roles.Since MT roles are few and far etween I am transitioning to DPs with Tank OS. Last night was my first night testing out Necroblight (using the WA "addon" and rotation posted here on IV), and I was very happy with it. But, I feel my DPS is still very low (AMR infographic rates me as doing 23% of the DPS for my gear and I find that unacceptable).

Most recent (Thur 3/12) raid logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/hGvtDNzJgPbfYnmw#boss=-3&type=damage-done&source=2

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ysera/Buhbbles/simple

Recient Simcraft saying on a patchwork I should be achieving about 33,413: http://wowsimcraft.com/sim/55025fb00e6a0e5e095ee799/show

AMR (http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/a6d4db14-2f4f-4b4f-b098-990da2775b24/boss/overview#c=36) ranks me as having low DPS on most fights, both against raid average and from my ilvl (679). While I'm close to my SIMC numbers, if other DK's at my ilvl are proformin better I must be missing out on something or doing something wrong.

I appreciate any assistance or insight people can provide.

Your necrotic plague uptime is good, and I can see that you're refreshing with unholy blight and not overusing festering strike. that's also good.

your uptime on dark transformation is decent, but could be a little bit better. on the three kills in your link you range from 50-60%, which isn't bad, but 70%+ is possible if you pool your runic power when dark transformation is about to end. Also the 2pc bonus helps a lot in this regard since you no longer need to pool RP if you're in soul reaper range.

On all three of the fights in your log you need to blood boil for aoe if you really want to push huge numbers. my secret to 90th percentile ranks on all three of those fights is to keep a 15 stack necrotic plague rolling on the boss at all times and spam blood boil whenever adds are up. That also puts necrotic plague on the adds much faster than if it jumps 1 tick at a time, and you'll do huge burst. 

• Like 2

Thank you,

I didn't I use blood boil very much last night, I think I was focusing on trying to get comfortable with the new rotation and just forgot it. I will definately work on using it more on aoe, as well as pooling RP. I Used to be very spammy with my abilities and I'm working on being more deliberate going forward.

A followup question for the 2peice. I'm mostly Heroic geared, would a 2peice from normal be better then Heroic items? I know ilvl doesn't REALLY matter that much anymore as its more about the stats, now. But is it worth it to step down in stats for the bonus? I would normally think yes, but would appreciate your opinion.

Your necrotic plague uptime is good, and I can see that you're refreshing with unholy blight and not overusing festering strike. that's also good.

your uptime on dark transformation is decent, but could be a little bit better. on the three kills in your link you range from 50-60%, which isn't bad, but 70%+ is possible if you pool your runic power when dark transformation is about to end. Also the 2pc bonus helps a lot in this regard since you no longer need to pool RP if you're in soul reaper range.

On all three of the fights in your log you need to blood boil for aoe if you really want to push huge numbers. my secret to 90th percentile ranks on all three of those fights is to keep a 15 stack necrotic plague rolling on the boss at all times and spam blood boil whenever adds are up. That also puts necrotic plague on the adds much faster than if it jumps 1 tick at a time, and you'll do huge burst. 

^ This but I also drop DnD as well now. The numbers seem underwhelming at first but add up quickly and make a noticeable difference overall

^ This but I also drop DnD as well now. The numbers seem underwhelming at first but add up quickly and make a noticeable difference overall

I completely missed his lack of DnD. DnD is definitely worthwhile for AoE, is it also stronger than a scourge strike for single target now? I'm so far ahead of the rest of the dps I've been running with I've been slacking on keeping up with sims and true min/maxing.

DnD is better than SS on 2+ targets.

How long do the targets have to be within the DND for it to be more useful to DND vs SS? As of late our group has had some serious aoe on fights like beastlord, where it feels like the adds are only up about 5 or 6 seconds. If the adds don't sit in the dnd for the full 10 secs, is it still worth it to dnd over ss?  

How long do the targets have to be within the DND for it to be more useful to DND vs SS? As of late our group has had some serious aoe on fights like beastlord, where it feels like the adds are only up about 5 or 6 seconds. If the adds don't sit in the dnd for the full 10 secs, is it still worth it to dnd over ss?  

That depends on the number of targets and your gear. For more accurate results, sim yourself to see the average SS and DnD damage. From my tooltips, If there are 2 targets then they have to stay in the DnD for at least 8 seconds to make it better than 1 SS. If there are 4, then they have to stay 4 seconds, and so on.