FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
LikeToWin

Aimed shot vs Barrage ST

Hey all,

i wanted to ask a question, is barrage supposed to be used as higher priority then aimed shot on signle target?

can i confirm

target above 80% Aimed Shot

rapid fire active aimed shot

thrill of the hunt aimed shot?

no thrill of the hunt and 80 focus+ barrage?

currently i have been only using barrage on 3+ targets, whenever i try it on 1-2 targets i seem to end up worse off in DPS terms.

i am ilvl 669 and have 31-32% crit while buffed.

Also a second question

if the opening to a fight has hero/timewarp should i delay using my rapid fire untill the buff is up?

logic (which i havent been using untill now) 80%+target and haste buff, so shoud i wait untill the buff is up before using rapid fire to sustain an extended burst phase?

currently i havent been and i have been a bit rigid with the same opener.

thanks in advance for any help - i am trying to take my game up a notch so looking for any obvious short comings.

1) You should be using Glaive toss on a single target, not barrage.

2) No, do not delay Rapid Fire. Considering Hero lasts for 40s, that is 1/3 of RF's cd, which is a huge delay.

• Like 1

The reason you want to use it ASAP is to get the cd rolling, so that you don't risk loosing a use later in the fight.  If you have the 4pc, then using it in the opener also gives you the stacking 3% crit damage whereas boss_health > 80% doesn't.

Haste buffs stack multiplicatively, meaning that the buffs are multiplied together.  For example, if you have 10% haste from your gear (not counting the haste raid buff), then with the haste raid buff you will have H = (1+10%)*(1.05) = 1.155 haste, or 15.5% haste.  Now lets add hero into the equation: H = (1+10%)*(1.05)*(1+30%) = 1.5015, or 50.15% haste.  If we used Rapid Fire instead of Hero, the equation would be:  H = (1+10%)*(1.05)*(1+40%) = 1.617, or 61.70% haste.  If we have both hero and rapid fire up, then we get an absurd amount of haste:  H = (1+10%)*(1.05)*(1+30%)*(1+40%) = 2.1021, or 110.21% haste.  

Now then, this is all fine and dandy, but now you're likely wondering how haste affects things.  It's pretty simple actually.  Cast times are calculated as such: T = (Base_Cast_Time) / (H) -- OR -- T = (Base_Cast_Time) / (1+haste%).  Aimed Shot has a base cast time of 2.5s, and steady shot has a base cast time of 2s.  In this scenario, with 10% base haste, the raid buff, and hero, Aimed Shot's cast time is (2.5) / (1.5015) = 1.665s.  If we include Rapid Fire, then the cast time becomes 2.5 / 2.1021 = 1.189s.  With a much lower cast time (nearly half a second shorter), you are able to fit in more Aimed Shot's within your opener.  

Haste also directly affects your focus regeneration: Fr = (Base_Regen) * (H) -- OR -- Fr = (Base_Regen) * (1+haste%).  

You can also combine the equations for cast time and focus regeneration to find out how much focus you will gain during the time it takes to cast an ability (which, by the way, is actually constant for all values of haste).  Since you generate Fr focus per second and it takes T seconds to cast an ability, the amount of focus you regenerate during a cast time is Fc = Fr * T = [ (Base_Regen) * (H) ] * [ (Base_Cast_Time) / (H) ] = (Base_Regen) * (Base_Cast_Time), since the H values cancel out.  

• Like 1

Mate your answer is amazing! i completly get it, is there somewhere i can find this data from as i have lots of statistical style questions (a bit of a math geek). primarily id liek to know about crit,

also what crit % you think is best to aim for over other statistical things, is there an upper cap?

just to also confirm i currently dont have any piece sets although i am trying for them weekly.

Again thanks for all your help and sorry for the probably somewhat silly questions

What sort of data are you looking for?  And ask away at stats questions, I'm also a math nerd/geek/whatever you want to call it.  

For crit, you want 53% (buffed) crit, which will put you at 100% (for aimed and steady shot) crit during Careful Aim (- 3% crit from boss reduction + 50% from CA).  

Crit is one of a number of RNG (Random Number Generator) tied mechanics, the other most visible one being multistrike.  What happens whenever you use an ability is that (just for Crit and MS) at least 3 RNGs are called.  Lets say you have 33.23% crit and 15.48% MS (Buffed).  For both, a 1-10000 RNG is used.  If the number generated is less than 3323 for the crit roll, the ability crits.  The same thing happens for MS, with the limit being 1548, anything less than that is considered "true" and the event happens (in this case, the ability multistrikes).  IF the multistrike roll returns true, then another crit roll happens, as multistrikes are considered separate events than the main ability, with the exception that they do not call more MS RNG rolls.  

Also, I realized about 10 mins after posting that I wrote a lot more than I intended to.

• Like 1

the more information the better, im on a steep learning curve and i love the theoretical to help the actual go smoother.

so after looking at askmrrobot and puting the highest crit stats on everything the max i can see is around 40% pre buffs (is it me or is askmr robot slightly different to the live game for stats%? always seems a little lower)

and then you have 3 proc chance from weapon and two trinkets. as a marksman is this the best way to go? i hope to stay marksman as i genuinely just enjoy it more then beast mastery and im not much of a fan or survival.

is this 53% the holy grail aim which only happens with the procs?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ghostlands/Tango/simplehere is my armory link, any suggestions on the best gearing route would be amazing, currently my focus is brf especially with the new 5 ilvls being added to the gear. im learning brf still and slowly working my through it.

And again thanks for all the help

also can i ask a question about the ashlink legs and feet, when they are both used according to ask mr robot the become very high rated better then the 685 and even some 700 gear. is this correct. as far as i can see the base stats on there other pieces actually provide more agilty then these two combined witht he set bonus so im a little shocked. (currently i have them equipped as they are slighlty better then my 670 alternatives and will surpass them with the new 5 ilvl bonus being added)

Can someone comfirm this?

Test it in game.  For example, I have 624 haste rating (6.93%).  With the haste buff (5%), I have 12.28% (which is 1.0693 (1+ 6.93%) * 1.05 (1+ 5%)).  With rapid fire, I have 57.19% haste, which is 1.1228 (1+ 12.28%) * 1.4 (1+40%).  

so i have switched my weapon mods to megawatt filament and all enchants and gems to crit, base raid is about 36% with my weapon enchant proccing this goes to 43-44% and with my sandmans pouch 55+ so for my openener i shoudl be guranteed crits while everything procs.

i have also spent some time getting to grips with weak auras and made some proc's and icd cooldown for sandmans pouch easily visible with bars etc so i can see clearly how much crit i have to have a better idea whether my aimed shots should crit or not.

is there any other UI that really benefit as a marksman hunters?

sorry for all the questions lately, i have decided to focus on my hunter and improving my game. so any advice on things is greatly appreciated.

P.S at 667 ilvl with no brf t17 set pieces what type of damage should i be expecting/aiming to do? higher and lower limits if possible.