FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zorane

DPS suggestions

Hi all!!  First time posting on the forums so be gentle.  I have found the info on the forums to be very helpful so i thought I would ask for some advice or critique of my performace.

I have played an Affliction lock since go live in 2004 so I have been through the changes and seen it all.  I have never really played one to be a hardcore raider.  I have started down that path since the expansion.  I have also never really had another lock in my different guilds that i could bounce things off of and stuff.  So that is how i ended up here.

Here is my character data and logs from our last guild run.  If i did something wrong with the logs let me know.  I also have the Warcraft version of these if needed.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/player/us/turalyon/zorane

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/729ede17-a231-4301-a1ca-dc00766700c1/overview

Please upload to warcraftlogs. Askmrrobot is pretty and I think a great tool for see what the raid as a whole needs to work on but determining individual performance it just really doesn't work well.

Please upload to warcraftlogs. Askmrrobot is pretty and I think a great tool for see what the raid as a whole needs to work on but determining individual performance it just really doesn't work well.

It's actually really good. I'm doing an alt raid later, but you haven't gone deep enough if you think it isn't good for DPS performance.

I like the WCL uploader more but maybe I'm just unfamiliar with AMR's. Would you recommend the AMR add-on?

@OP sorry to derail your thread. I'll check out your logs in a sec. Most of us are more familiar with WCL though :P

@Zorane
First of all - talent choice.

Mortal Coil is broken, as it gives you no heal if target is not feared. Switch to Shadowfury as it has some nice usage in BRF.
Soul Leech is garbage for Aff, given the amount of your damage coming from Drain Soul and Haunt. SacPact is the best talent in this tier and probably the best save in-game.
These talents, however, do not really affect your performance, as they are essentially defensive or CC.

Ew, those AMR logs require some real practice to read. WTB logs from WCL, can give you much more data from those.

I hope I'm getting the stuffs right.
Your basic DoT uptime is fine, but Drain Soul needs some more love - it's only slightly above 40%
SB Haunt uptime also can be better.
Conceptually I'd recommend you to switch to Serv/Serv Aff build. It does not that hungry for Soul Shards, will make you some deal out of your SoN trinkets and will be generally easier.

Pets performing at 100th percentile will reduce the effect of your failures.biggrin.png  No offence.

@Zorane

First of all - talent choice.

Mortal Coil is broken, as it gives you no heal if target is not feared. Switch to Shadowfury as it has some nice usage in BRF.

Soul Leech is garbage for Aff, given the amount of your damage coming from Drain Soul and Haunt. SacPact is the best talent in this tier and probably the best save in-game.

These talents, however, do not really affect your performance, as they are essentially defensive or CC.Ew, those AMR logs require some real practice to read. WTB logs from WCL, can give you much more data from those.

I hope I'm getting the stuffs right.

Your basic DoT uptime is fine, but Drain Soul needs some more love - it's only slightly above 40%

SB Haunt uptime also can be better.

Conceptually I'd recommend you to switch to Serv/Serv Aff build. It does not that hungry for Soul Shards, will make you some deal out of your SoN trinkets and will be generally easier.

Pets performing at 100th percentile will reduce the effect of your failures.:D  No offence.

Thanks for the feedback. I was with you up until the build switch. Forgive me not following your abbreviations. Also the pet reference was that in reference to the build switch or my pet selection?

As for keeping the Drain Soul up longer, what is the desired or expected uptime %? I was thinking I had it up as much as I possibly could but I guess that needs some work. I try to keep SB Haunt up every time I can depending on shards.

Thanks again

I would really recommend against Aff for Beastlord. Both Destro and Demo perform SIGNIFICANTLY better. 

Aff is a single target spec, so I'll look at Gruul: 

* Get SB:H up sooner. With your pre-pot, you want to get all your dots on the target, SB:H, Dark Soul, and start Drain Soul as soon as possible so you can get the maximum efficiency out of your pre-pot. You can start your opener throwing a SB:H and casting dots while it's in the air, then dark soul+drain soul when the haunt lands and your dots are up.

* It doesn't look like you used a Terrorguard! Don't forget that. For Gruul, most guilds use Bloodlust right at the start, so I use my Terrorguard/Doomguard with Bloodlust, Pre-pot, and two Dark Souls for maximum damage. If you don't lust at the start, then use it at the end because it gains 20% bonus damage against targets under 20% health. However, it lasts a full minute, so make sure you don't cast it too late. I hate having to think about that, so I cast it at the start with the Bloodlust haste. 

* SB:H uptime -- when you get your 4 piece tier bonus you'll be able to get almost 100% uptime. It's fine for now, but make sure you haunt on the pull. 

* There's not much reason to use Glyph of Dark Soul.

* I personally get about 60+% Drain Soul uptime. Try to aim for that.

* You used your 2 minute trinket twice on a 5 minute fight. You can use it 3 times. I macro my SoN with unglyphed Dark Soul because they have the same cooldown. There's no damage bonus to lining up two haste procs, but crossing Haunt and potion uptime with DS/SoN uptime is ideal, and the macro lets me do that. 

Thanks for the feedback. I was with you up until the build switch. Forgive me not following your abbreviations. Also the pet reference was that in reference to the build switch or my pet selection?

As for keeping the Drain Soul up longer, what is the desired or expected uptime %? I was thinking I had it up as much as I possibly could but I guess that needs some work. I try to keep SB Haunt up every time I can depending on shards.

Thanks again

It was about the talent choice. Don't really try to chase that SBHaunt uptime unless you have really much haste.

I would really recommend against Aff for Beastlord. Both Destro and Demo perform SIGNIFICANTLY better. 

Aff is a single target spec, so I'll look at Gruul: 

* Get SB:H up sooner. With your pre-pot, you want to get all your dots on the target, SB:H, Dark Soul, and start Drain Soul as soon as possible so you can get the maximum efficiency out of your pre-pot. You can start your opener throwing a SB:H and casting dots while it's in the air, then dark soul+drain soul when the haunt lands and your dots are up.

* It doesn't look like you used a Terrorguard! Don't forget that. For Gruul, most guilds use Bloodlust right at the start, so I use my Terrorguard/Doomguard with Bloodlust, Pre-pot, and two Dark Souls for maximum damage. If you don't lust at the start, then use it at the end because it gains 20% bonus damage against targets under 20% health. However, it lasts a full minute, so make sure you don't cast it too late. I hate having to think about that, so I cast it at the start with the Bloodlust haste. 

* SB:H uptime -- when you get your 4 piece tier bonus you'll be able to get almost 100% uptime. It's fine for now, but make sure you haunt on the pull. 

* There's not much reason to use Glyph of Dark Soul.

* I personally get about 60+% Drain Soul uptime. Try to aim for that.

* You used your 2 minute trinket twice on a 5 minute fight. You can use it 3 times. I macro my SoN with unglyphed Dark Soul because they have the same cooldown. There's no damage bonus to lining up two haste procs, but crossing Haunt and potion uptime with DS/SoN uptime is ideal, and the macro lets me do that. 

Thanks Mikedawg for the comments.  I had been meaning to switch my rotation to the SB-haunt opening but had forgot about it.  I had read that on a couple of post earlier.

Yes I am guilty of not using the Terrorguard, i have just got to remember to do that.

So on Beastloard I was still doing single target targeting since I was on spear duty and then i would try and tab back to boss to keep DoTs on.  Would you still switch since the adds are not responsibility?

Edited by Zorane

Forgive my misunderstanding, but is that really the case? I was under the impression that for every stat in the game, every amount grants the same value point for point, but stats are multiplicative with each other.

Hmm you might be correct, I was thinking back to Lust + Meta Gem + Berserking where they all multiplied off of eachother, but you're correct that they were % stats as opposed # ratings.

Actually I just went and tested this, and using SoN in conjunction with DUT showed they were additive. 

Having said that, however. How does everything interact if you have a Haste % proc like Bloodlust or Misery on top of haste ratings?

If I use Bloodlust on my mage who has 8.24% Haste, the bloodlust provides 32.48% haste, for a total of 40.72%. 

With SoN my mage sits at 27.88% Haste, for a gain of 19.64%.

With SoN AND Bloodlust, my Haste shoots up to 66.24%. In this instance, Bloodlust accounted for 38.36% haste.

Clearly, the 30% from Bloodlust is applied AFTER any gain from rating.

So, it seems SoN in conjunction with DS: Misery would still be multiplicative, however something like SoN + DUT remains additive. This is not taking into account the 5% buff Affliction gains to Haste, because it would baffle my head far too much.

I openly admit Maths is not a strong point, so feel free to point out where I made mistakes.

Hey guys, stat related question here. I'm a Destro lock and I've chosen crit as my most important secondary stat. At the moment my crit chance is about 31% (including 5% raid buff) and I was wondering at which point I should start stacking the next secondary stat (haste for example). Considering diminishing returns on secondary stats at some point it should be more profitable to start stacking the next stat. Just wondering at what point/percentage that is.

a response with some helpfull/usefull info would really be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I won't be stacking mastery since I won't be using the Charred Remains spec. But that's not relevant to the question. I simply chose haste as an example for the second stat, could be any secondary stat. The question I'm asking is at which point/percentage should I start stacking another stat considering diminishing returns. In other words. What are the stat caps for a destro lock on each secondary stat?

Edited by EpicGnome

Even without Charred Remains, Mastery is still the best stat overall due to the nature of encounters.

Just because simcraft says Crit is best on patchwerk does not mean it applies to real situations.

To answer your question, there are no real caps you need to worry about. After 30% haste you start to hit DR with Backdraft under BL, however nobody is going to reach that point any time soon.

Even without Charred Remains, Mastery is still the best stat overall due to the nature of encounters.

Just because simcraft says Crit is best on patchwerk does not mean it applies to real situations.

To answer your question, there are no real caps you need to worry about. After 30% haste you start to hit DR with Backdraft under BL, however nobody is going to reach that point any time soon.

Thanks gor the explanation and tip! I'll be stacking mastery then!