Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Werehowl

Prot Warrior weapon selection

4 posts in this topic

My progression guild's 'off' tank and I are both warriors, and have had varying luck when it comes to getting our new weapons. He's currently using Tanar's, and I have Kro's fist.

The question came up about which weapon would be 'better' from the prot standpoint. Obviously, Tanar's is leagues above when it comes to fury, but as our stat priority stands now, both have a useful stat, and a rather undesireable. Mastery is our first choice, which goes to Kro's, with Crit as our second, which would be the sword.

On the flip side, stat priorities on IV show Haste > Multi, which would make me assume the mace is best. That said, the multistrike, however small, from the sword at least procs blood craze. A pathetically small boon, but a boon none the less. I can imagine the extra haste working wonders for fights like Beast - my AoE bleeds usually do about 45% of my damage, even WITH ravager and failstorm.

Bottom line is this - when it comes to BRF, which is the better weapon? We're at Heroic level right now, so obviously mythic cleaver from butcher crushes the competition, but we've not the numbers to get in there.

Sword, or Mace? And if both, which situations does one shine above the other?

Thanks!

Go for the crit sword. You'll have massively more mastery from BRF loot than crit and mastery is only better than crit when crit's DR starts giving significantly less parry per point than mastery gives static block per point.

Thanks for the input. :) Back in against Gruul again - more excuse for fury weapons.

Curious - I couldn't find anything specific numbers wise, but at what point do we begin to see the DR? I've been trying to shift my gearing towards specifically mastery/crit, but is there a point that we should shift a bit from mastery gemming/enchanting towards crit?

My apologies for not linking my Armory (Werehowl @ Emerald Dream), my browser is crashing on the URL posting.

Thanks again!

I would recommend crit gemming/enchanting right now. Due to itemization, DR is likely to only hit particularly hard in the next tier. If you managed to get perfect drops and prioritized crit, you might possibly see the DR in full mythic gear this tier. I'm 695 and my itemization isn't perfect and I'm quite far off the DR.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0