FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
mortimus

Breath of Sindragosa - Help

Hi Guys,

I have been running the Necroblight playstyle for both single target and AOE fights as its pretty competitive against other classes on ST, and on AOE fights it is just ridiculously good. I check Warcraft logs regularly to see what the top DK’s are doing on each fight and it’s very difficult ignore the fact that on Single Target fights (Grul, Oregorger etc.) The top players a running with Breath of Sindragosa…

I have spent most of yesterday trying to practice the use of the spell and I Understand the concept is to have as long a breath as possible (logs are showing the top ranks at around 30 seconds on the pull and around 20 seconds on the second use).

Having just hit dummies most of the day it’s pretty clear that Blood Lust is pretty vital to this playstyle as you just don’t have enough haste to regenerate runes fast enough without it…. This is a problem when trying to practice due to obvious reasons in that to have a blood lust I must ask a shaman/mage friend to practice with me and wait 10mins in between time for each try… Not practical I’m sure you will all agree.

I managed to get a few tries in LFR and on a Guild alt run, and on the pull managed around 20 seconds of Breath which considering the lack of practice was a decent-ish start. Because of the difficulties of recreating a pull scenario out of raid (without asking a raid team to come and pull – Wipe – Pull – Wipe just to service my practice needs) can anyone help shed any light on if there are certain rotations to be used? or combinations of runes at certain points of the breath? and when ERW and PL should be used? Or is it just a case of hold on to the rollercoaster as long as you can using everything in whatever order comes to you?

The thing that seems right to me is using festering strike as it’s a bigger chunk of RP in 1 GCD but this is also a faster way to starve myself of Runes as I watch my RP plummet. I have macro’d blood tap into my FS/SS/DC so I get runes back as I spam buttons (is this correct?) and I Plague Leech as soon as Im certain i can get 2 Death Runes back..

Also I have read in a few places that BoS interacts with Multistrike, How does Multistrike effect the breath? Is this just Blood DK’s as this was only something I saw in Blood DK discussions, is it the same for unholy and how does BoS and Multistrike interact together to extend the breath?

Any suggestions and changes I could make or Pull sequences that others use would be greatly appreciated.

BoS is powerful in many situations, raiding specifically I wouldn't recommend it but I will address your questions :D

Multistrike lets each hit or tick have a chance to hit again 2 times for 30% damage. With BoS each tick of damage will have the opportunity to multistrike (just like your diseases and dots can). As unholy we favor multistrike and there is some decent harmony with BoS. The only BoS exclusiveness with blood is the healing you still do damage as unholy just no side benefits.

Now as far as maximizing BoS you basically need to go crazy while its running. The optimal way to do this is to pool full rp and then wait a couple seconds for your runes to regen. Then pop sindragosas and burn your rotation. The key here is once you expend your runes to pop empowered runic weapon which will restore your runes and give you 30 more rune power. You also want to have your AMS up to try to soak more rp as well. This can lead to the max amount of time spend with BoS up. Plague leech too can be used when all else is expired to get a couple more attacks off. 

Now, the downsides however are somewhat heavy. The cooldown on BoS is huge. Second, very crudely, i can post screen shots later if desired. BoS does equal to or less damage then your necrotic plague will at 15 stacks. BoS has a 2 minute cooldown Necrotic has a 2 second cooldown (deals its damage every 2 seconds :D). To try and make necrotic work you are pooling literally everything to try and make it worth while but then it leaves you with limited resources the rest of the fight. Even then, it has to be aimed and you can be knocked out of it. 

BoS is really powerful in arenas and pvp but for raiding it's not too recommended. The only times I can see it is if a guild is mythic geared and just burns down bosses in 2 mins. Then its like okay we just care about burst. Now I could be ignorant here but I don't think we are that powerful yet in the game where we can just burn boss phases. So, if somehow that is the fact then go ahead and roll BoS. Otherwise its not good for raids at all and is very much outclasses by both necrotic plague and defile.

Later on I can post sim results and that too for further evidence. However, its a game and can be played how people want :D So you have my 2 cents on how to make it work and then my 1 cents on why i would recommend a different talent.

Thanks Demonardvark, that makes a lot of sense, my guild is decent but by no means going to be killing bosses at the pace of the top Guilds so putting it like that it makes sense that i personally wont be able to ride the wave of the BoS burst to make a significant difference in my DPS by the time the boss dies when compared to Necrotic Plague.

With regard to the Multistrike/BoS synergy, I was move confused over how multistrike helped extend the breath as i read that Blood DKS had ridiculously long breaths due to Multistrike but i must of just mis read that as it does not seem that the multistrike has any additional effect on a breath other than the extra dps Multistrike gives when hitting a 2nd and 3rd time.

Thanks for the reply, at least if we ever get to the point BoS will be a gain i have a little more insight into the crazy spamfest that is required to make it worth while

Thanks to Blood's attunement, Runic Strikes, auto attack multistrikes with a two-handed weapon generate 15 rune power. Blood generates more rune power than it knows what to do with at high gear levels.

Now, the downsides however are somewhat heavy. The cooldown on BoS is huge. Second, very crudely, i can post screen shots later if desired. BoS does equal to or less damage then your necrotic plague will at 15 stacks. BoS has a 2 minute cooldown Necrotic has a 2 second cooldown (deals its damage every 2 seconds biggrin.png). 

That is not a fair comparison, since if you're running BoS your normal diseases will still be doing their damage.

To make BoS worthwhile (compared to Defile), you will need about 15 ticks (not an exact number, will need to compare with Death Coil to be more accurate). Anything above is extra damage. 

On fights like Gruul and Oregorger, BoS is better than Defile if you can soak Inferno Slice and Exploding Shard. Make sure you already have Breath running before soaking those, otherwise you might get RP capped and waste some. On Blackhand, Defile is not a good pick because there is a lot of movement involved, especially in phase 2 and phase 3. However, depending on your guild's strategy you may not be able to soak Slag Bombs which will make BoS a little harder to use. 

Comparison between talents based on my gear (single target): (armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/sylvanas/Anf%C3%A1uglith/advanced)

S6Jjq6b.png

Keep in mind that BoS can last significantly longer when you can support your RP generation with AMS. Save it for moments when you know / anticipate a big magic damage incoming.

There are some small details about keeping it as long as possible:

1. You do NOT want to use Glyph of Absorb Magic. It wastes AMS offensive potential.

2. During BoS all RP must be used to fuel it. No Death Coil. Make sure that Timmy is transformed and you do not need to waste Death Coil for tranformation again: 2p17 (and 4 pieces for the free rune) work nicely here.

3  No Glyph of Outbreak. Use Plague Leech for more runes (and thus more RP). Be prepared to reapply diseases with Outbreak or Plague Strike. Only Soul Reaper has higher priority than BoS while you are breathing.

That is not a fair comparison, since if you're running BoS your normal diseases will still be doing their damage.

To make BoS worthwhile (compared to Defile), you will need about 15 ticks (not an exact number, will need to compare with Death Coil to be more accurate). Anything above is extra damage. 

On fights like Gruul and Oregorger, BoS is better than Defile if you can soak Inferno Slice and Exploding Shard. Make sure you already have Breath running before soaking those, otherwise you might get RP capped and waste some. On Blackhand, Defile is not a good pick because there is a lot of movement involved, especially in phase 2 and phase 3. However, depending on your guild's strategy you may not be able to soak Slag Bombs which will make BoS a little harder to use. 

Comparison between talents based on my gear (single target): (armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/sylvanas/Anf%C3%A1uglith/advanced)

S6Jjq6b.png

I was just comparing the two talent choices raw vs raw. I always like to stay on the side of easy execution vs. absolutely perfect execution. For the best single target soaking it takes a lot of prep and planning and as you mentioned based upon guild strategy it may not be possible. 15 ticks is a lot and if you can do it bravo go crazy but for generalized play it's a harder path.

It to me is sort of how i ran unholy in MOP, I stacked a buttload of crit, blew my trinkets at the start, and tried to get a crit hit on my disease application. If done properly I could get 400k in just diseases, if i messed up, I was sort of crippled the entire fight (did have 1 initial do over with plague leech). I sort of view sindragosas the same way. It's a gamble shot, if you line up everything perfectly it can destroy, but, everything has to sync right. I initially pondered if a necrobreath playstyle would emerge but the CD is just so long :(

Also @Facade thank you for that information about blood and BoS. It gave me some very devious ideas for pvp.

Also @Facade thank you for that information about blood and BoS. It gave me some very devious ideas for pvp.

If these ideas were what I think they were: rest assured that the blood pvp set bonus does NOT take your partner's AMS into account for generating RP. Only your own. Tested it unsure.png

Edited by simpetar

I played around some with BoS this morning out of curiosity, haven't had much reason to explore it since defile has held so steady for tanking, but it was interesting to test on the training dummy at the garrison. With ERW and PL I'm able to hold it just over a minute after starting. It feels like it would be really nice for single target bosses when defile isn't needed or doesn't help as much as the damage from BoS might. With raid buffs and an emphasis on mastery/multistrike gear it could be pretty obscene. 

Played with BoS a lot last night and the results were about what was expected. It does take 15 ticks in order to reach its true value but I had a hard time keeping it up that long. I know my soaking with AMS on gruul wasn't the best due to timing but it took a bit to get resource capped to use it. The damage was fair but I went from 95th percentile damage down to 86. I tried it on both frost and unholy to not much avail.

On blood though I had quite a bit of fun with it. It's actually pretty easy to keep it going for 45 seconds more on blood. It did impressive damage but also the self healing was nice. It was also passive once you poop it out more or less (I always had trouble with defile, took me a second to click and move the giant rune circle thing to the right place) and I could go about my business without paying too much attention to it. I would dare say I recommend BoS now for Blood by default. Have to play around a bit more with it, but the results for tanking were pretty impressive.