FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
slappi

Stone Guard Taunt Question

This has probably been brought up...but I couldn't find an answer anywhere

On Stone Guard...

I druid tank and the OT is a pally. A large percentage of his taunts have no effect on the boss. I don't know if its being resisted or what. I don't see anywhere that a stat could change that and it looks like according to WOW taunts don't "miss". Any suggestions? I read all about hunter pets causing the boss to be immune for a time... but we didn't have not had a hunter running with us. This is an issue every week... Have tanked with him for years and its never been a problem before.

Thank you

My gut reaction is range. Is he sure he is in range of the boss for taunt? These bosses can be tricky in that you want to keep them separated so you don't push a non petrifying overload so I think tanks tend to end up on the far side from each other. Just have him make sure he cheats over when its time to grab one. It really helps to call out what is going to happen next if you are able to track it (I know this fight is crazy to keep track of, just takes time). He could just be getting flustered and by the time he gets the taunt off an overload has gone off and butchered the raid.

A few macros helped my OT never screw it up, but I also call out whats happening before each switch

Ex. "Ok <OT> if yours petrifies next you are going to taunt < dog color >"

We also don't do a double swap each time and just have melee run back and forth to the side with two dogs. This just creates 1 less chance for a taunt to screw up.

I have been tanking this fight since release and have seen no problems with taunt resists. Perhaps a pet could do it, but it just doesn't seem likely.

Id be happy to elaborate on anything, just let me know.

Well, he needs to be able to give a better account of what is happening.

Does his taunt go on cooldown or not? If yes, and it has no effect, I can only think of one thing: someone (probably the current tank) is using taunt on the boss "on cooldown" needlessly, triggering the diminishing returns, and rendering the boss taunt immune by the time your OT wants to take it.

If taunt does not go on cooldown, then it must be range (or line of sight, although I can't really see how on Stone Guard unless he's hiding in the bit behind the stairs). Alternatively, perhaps he has a taunt macro that's malfunctioning somehow and not actually taunting.

I can only think of one thing: someone (probably the current tank) is using taunt on the boss "on cooldown" needlessly, triggering the diminishing returns, and rendering the boss taunt immune by the time your OT wants to take it.

I like Vlad's theory a lot better than mine :) If the taunts are truly resisting, then over-taunting resulting in diminishing returns is probably the culprit.

Generally speaking, as a tank, you should really only be taunting in 1 of a few situations:

1 - Boss pull and you want to be sure you keep aggro while building threat. Either use it preemptively or as you see your threat slipping away.

(if you don't have the Threat Plates add-on I would highly recommend it - it colors nameplates based on threat )

2 - You lose aggro during the fight and need to get the boss back (Ideally you should be preemptively taunting in this situation as well, but you cant always prevent it)

3 - Tank swap

Taunt is not a threat generator, it is to make sure the boss stays on you while you gain vengeance and build your threat. Sorry if you know all this already, hopefully someone will gain something from it :)

I wrote something here that became completely irrelevant once I figured that there are people out there that can spell better then me.

Edited by krazyito65

How long is the diminishing return... I usually only taunt when I tank swap... but its something to keep an eye out for.

Thanks for the thoughts :)

20sec is more tahn enough to let the DR drop.

normaly you shouldnt have DR on taun on stone guard. only time i experience taunt DR in pandaria was on Feng. if me and the otehr tanks taunt to fast, immediatly after reaching 2 stacks of tank debuff.

it could also be because of range. like wcard already wrote.

if you are using blizz standart boss frame to "click&taunt":

if the boss is out of taunt range. you wont be able to taunt it. and you will taunt your current boss instead. triggering taunt cooldown. and the raid wondering what happened. ^^

get addon like "RSA spell annoucer". it will post in chat which target you have taunted. and if the taunt was resisted. much easier and faster to see whats happening.

Instead of an addon, try just using a simple macro. Obviously you'll want to change the tank name and name of the taunt.

#showtooltip

/rw >>> Tankitytank Taunted %t <<<

/ra >>> Tankitytank Taunted %t <<<

/cast Growl

Edit: Macro formatting

Edited by DubbaCV