FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
anthyrst

Feedback and improvements

Heya, so I've been kind of unhappy with the dps I seem to be pulling at the moment, and was hoping that the fine people here could help me with their insight in the matter.

Armory link

Log link  

(I feel I'm underperforming in all of these bosses, but especially the easier ones that allow me more focus on rotation/less movement I feel like I should definitely do better)

My rotation:

Start with Ambush, slice and dice, RvS, SS, killing spree.
Adrenaline Rush, get to 5 CP, SND.

Keep SnD up (refresh if under 10 seconds)
Keep RvS up (refresh if under 10 seconds)
Eviscerate when RvS/SnD don't need to be refreshed

MfD on CD (preferably on a target that will die the fastest, though I do this loosely to not lose too much focus)

Vanish > Ambush on cooldown

Preparation on cooldown

Killing spree on cooldown
Adrenaline Rush on cooldown unless KS will come off within a few seconds (including finishing moves reducing it).

For 3 targets I also keep up CT
For more than 3 targets I replace Eviscerate completely with CT.

Thanks in advance for the advice, if there's anything I missed let me know! (thanks again, really)

The right way for Combat to start a fight has been mentioned several times in this board:

>Opener should be as follows:

>> Ambush

>> RvS

>> SS

>> SnD

>> SS

>> SS

>> SS

>> KS

>> SS

>> AR

>> Continue with normal rotation

> Aim is to get RvS up 2nd global and then get a 4-5 cp SnD up on your 4th Global

SnD & RvS Uptime look good.

You didn't prepot in any of the fights and used a combat potion in fight only once.

Off the top of my head I would recommend the following changes:

1. Drop MfD and use Anticipation. Makes Combat much more smoothely to play and makes better use of Deep Insight due to CP pooling.

2. I wouldn't use Crimson Tempest at all.

Besides all that, your dps doesn't look too bad for your itemlevel. In January I had a heroic Butcher kill with a similar itemlevel (664) and roughly a similar dps. Two months later with an itemlevel of 678 (and thus better weapons) I achieved 30k dps.

Edited by Rerox

The right way for Combat to start a fight has been mentioned several times in this board:

>Opener should be as follows:

>> Ambush

>> RvS

>> SS

>> SnD

>> SS

>> SS

>> SS

>> KS

>> SS

>> AR

>> Continue with normal rotation

> Aim is to get RvS up 2nd global and then get a 4-5 cp SnD up on your 4th Global

SnD & RvS Uptime look good.

You didn't prepot in any of the fights and used a combat potion in fight only once.

Off the top of my head I would recommend the following changes:

1. Drop MfD and use Anticipation. Makes Combat much more smoothely to play and makes better use of Deep Insight due to CP pooling.

2. I wouldn't use Crimson Tempest at all.

Besides all that, your dps doesn't look too bad for your itemlevel. In January I had a heroic Butcher kill with a similar itemlevel (664) and roughly a similar dps. Two months later with an itemlevel of 678 (and thus better weapons) I achieved 30k dps.

Generally I do use potions, I was doopid and forgot to restock before I joined this raid, though.

I've heard so many different things about Anticipation and MfD, I'm honestly at a loss which I should pick now :s.

As far as I understand it's maybe 1, with luck 2 eviscerates in Deep Insight per deep insight vs a ton more Combo Points (doubling if not tripling when there's any kind of adds on a fight). Though I do hear Anticipation is less micro-managing meaning you're able to focus more on rotation and moving instead of using MfD on time.

And for Crimson Tempest, would you recommend dropping it completely even on 3 or more targets? Isn't that a big loss of the initial damage, the Damage over time and the 30% extra poison damage per target?

I will adjust my opening sequence accordingly, then, and see if there is any improvement :).

I'll be honest though, the only reason I feel I'm under-performing is because Shadowcraft claims I should be able to hit 31k by now, which I'm not even getting close to regardless of a pre-pot + pot + agility flask, how close is SimCraft to actual realistic DPS for rogues? 

Thanks again for your time!

Generally I do use potions, I was doopid and forgot to restock before I joined this raid, though.

I've heard so many different things about Anticipation and MfD, I'm honestly at a loss which I should pick now :s.

As far as I understand it's maybe 1, with luck 2 eviscerates in Deep Insight per deep insight vs a ton more Combo Points (doubling if not tripling when there's any kind of adds on a fight). Though I do hear Anticipation is less micro-managing meaning you're able to focus more on rotation and moving instead of using MfD on time.

And for Crimson Tempest, would you recommend dropping it completely even on 3 or more targets? Isn't that a big loss of the initial damage, the Damage over time and the 30% extra poison damage per target?

I will adjust my opening sequence accordingly, then, and see if there is any improvement smile.png.

I'll be honest though, the only reason I feel I'm under-performing is because Shadowcraft claims I should be able to hit 31k by now, which I'm not even getting close to regardless of a pre-pot + pot + agility flask, how close is SimCraft to actual realistic DPS for rogues? 

Thanks again for your time!

I prefer Anticipation on all fights just cause I can save CP's for Deep Insight and stack more Evis casts there. There are certain fights where MfD might be better (Thogar, for example), but I haven't experimented with it

The reason you drop CT is cause Blade Flurry allows Evis to hit every target for the full amount of damage.

• RvS bonus damage will apply to every target, assuming that it's on your main one
  • Evis hits harder than CT
  • Most ads need to be killed quickly, which eliminates any point in the DoT from CT, which is a really large portion of the damage

Maybe I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a valid reason for using CT other than Iron Maidens, where it might be useful to maintain the bleed when all 3 are down. Even then, idk how much of a damage boost it will be

And yes, Shadowcraft is pretty accurate

Gotcha, dropping Crimson Tempest entirely, adjusted the starting sequence of the rotation.

On MfD vs Anticipation I'm still unsure, there's a long but pretty good read on it where Fierydemise explains why MfD would beat Anticipation taking pooling for deep insight into account, I'm guessing the SimCraft backing up the numbers even when there are no adds or anything makes it more reliable, then again I'd love to hear you guy's input on the link on the subject.

Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15270289307

Little over halfway of the page you should find the comment I am talking about

Oh yeah, I never said that MfD is bad by any means. The math is actually pretty interesting, and Fiery is always a good source for theorycrafting.

All I said is that I play Anticipation - I only play Combat on Thogar, Beastlord, and Mythic Flamebender anyways, and I find it easier

Oh yeah, I never said that MfD is bad by any means. The math is actually pretty interesting, and Fiery is always a good source for theorycrafting.

All I said is that I play Anticipation - I only play Combat on Thogar, Beastlord, and Mythic Flamebender anyways, and I find it easier

Right, well I appreciate the advice, seeign Thogar is a hell of a fight, specially when trying to keep track of everything at once, it might be easier if I drop MfD on some fights where I notice my focus just isn't good enough for trying to add the MfD as well.

Thanks for all the advice! I will go on and practice what I've learned and keep improving smile.png