FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Grumble

Holydin Help Requested

I am having issues with healing.

We are now 10/10 Heroic and have just begun Mythic.

I am in a healing team with 2 Priest's (holy/disc) a Shaman and a Druid. 2 of the priests are occasionally ranked above 95% on wow logs and the druid and shaman are often above 70%. I am lucky to get above 50 and tend to be more around 30-40 range on heroic. 

I understand that healing isn't all about the meters (although its easier to say that when your at the top) but I have a strong feeling I am doing something wrong if im below 50 on logs plus my RL suggested politely that I might find help here. 

I recently got my 4 set and changed to DP and whilst I feel my healing improved slightly I am still bottom of the barrel (apart from trash).

The one other thing that I was told tonight was to stop focusing on healing tanks and try to keep EF on others and let beacon do its work instead of focusing on tanks. This is a problem of being a returning healer from tbc and spamming the tank mentality but its something I intend to work on.

I will be honest I am not expecting to top the meters but I am looking for any advise to help the raid and other healers do their jobs better or at least get me out of the bargain basement.

Logs from last BRF Heroic 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4jm6XAkBMrdNVhcp#fight=3&type=healing&source=13

Armoury link

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Dryzal/simple

Many thanks, 

Dryzal

/edited on 15th April - wrong log

Edited by Grumble

First off, you have beautiful gear and your healing team is so beast it maybe hard to out heal them. Frankly, healing meters are a bit silly so long as the boss goes down.  One person's dps rarely affects the next person's dps but one person's heal definitely affects the heal of the rest of the healing team. 

However, if you want to play the meter game, then you need to 'clip' people's heals. The fastest 'clip' is illuminated healing (instant). Anticipate when damage will occur and get your illuminated healing shield up on the affected before it happens. We are the only class that can heal the 100% by building the illuminated healing shield on them for up to 30% of their total health. Use it!  On Gruul, illuminated healing was quite low and there's a fight where you can easily anticipate raid damage, pre-heal that group to build a big holy radiance holy shock illuminated healing shield.  Then just as he starts to cast, start your next holy radiance/holy shock which should hit just after he's consumed your illuminated heal and then holy prism. You can clip everyone else's heal fairly nicely that way. 

Also, you have holy prism which has only a 40 second cooldown but you average only 2 shots per pull.  The fact that it's an instant alone makes it very useful imho but that it gives a nice big heal to 5 players at once and that it can build an illuminated healing shield on them that will consume the heal if it's overheal, you should be using...every 40 seconds? :)

You have a lot of eternal flames going out and they are overhealing 60%+. Your rate of eternal flame to light of dawn is about 3 to 1 on most pulls. On Gruul, 86% of your eternal flame was overhealing.  Convert some of those to light of dawn to heal the raid (or build their illuminated healing shields) instead.  Light of dawn, btw, will proc more free eternal flames with your four piece tier set which procs more free light of dawns...detect a pattern here?

If you don't have 'tellmewhen', you can use it to show you procs and use them like your tier set. It's hard to see in the top right hand corner.

As always, practice these techniques in LFR. Particularly timing of damage to raid. If you build it (the shield) they will come (and get healed first).

• Like 1

Hi

I would also say, looking at the logs, if you want to contribute more healing for the meters: that you could use your AoE heals more in periods of intense raid-wide damage. (Do you have any mana issues?)

When raid-wide damage goes out, especially on a stacked group, a holy shock, holy radiance, holy shock, light of dawn combo is very effective in hogging the healing ;)

And I can't see where all your holy power healing is going - are you using it enough?

Grim

• Like 1

Thanks for replies.

Somehow the log link changed to some guild I don't know from the US servers, I have edited so its me, Dryzal - Draenor EU Guild: Latinus Namus.

The advice here is still solid and I have already adapted to the recommendations made here with some success especially pre-healing/shielding.

Reason I noticed wrong link was that I was confused by the AoE healing comment and HP usage from Grim seeing that I tend to burn LoD and HR>HS(Daybreak) on AoE damage and always burn HP when I can (although was a small issue when I first changed to DP until I set up TMW).

I can only guess Grims comments are from the wrong logs that were linked. I apologise for this.

Figured it was about time I start posting instead of just reading these forums =p

Just to go over some of the usual tips:
Your Avenging Wrath usage is fine, it could be a little bit higher on some fights but given how short most of the pulls were I don't think it's of too much concern. Holy Shock could be a little bit higher as well, you should really do your best to be using it on CD. The healing you get from Infusion of Light (Holy Shock crit procs), and in turn Enhanced Holy Shock make a pretty significant difference As previously mentioned Holy Prism could have been snuck in one or two more times on most fights. My rule of thumb with Holy Prism is that I save it if I know there will be a lot of incoming damage in 10-15 seconds, otherwise I cast it even if only to shield 5 people.

Now to go over some other things I noticed:

From my personal experience, Sanctified Wrath is superior to Divine Purpose. I understand that they're both perfectly viable and people have killed Mythic Blackhand using both, but personally I've had very little success with DP. I already dislike relying on my tier procs for healing as it is, let alone praying that I get a good chain of RNG during periods of high damage. I'd rather have the consistency of that huge healing buff. Having near 100% crit chance on your holy shock for 30 seconds is nothing to scoff at. Last but not least I couldn't help but notice that your healing from Beacon of Light was relatively low.This could be due to a couple things, the first and most importantly is that you're focusing on the tanks too much. Let's say you Holy Light a tank, for let's say, 30k. That will translate to 30k + 12k on the other tank (who should have the other beacon on them) for a total of 42k. If you were to heal a non-beaconed raid member, you're looking at 30k from holy light, and 12k per beacon for a total of 54k. Now this is a hypothetical world with zero overhealing, but it's still a significant HPS increase and does happen occasionally during fights. Another possibility is that other healers are also focusing the tanks, but that's hardly in your control.

Moral of the story is that you should avoid directly healing the tanks and let beacon do the brunt of the work for you. Outside of keeping an Eternal Flame rolling on both tanks*, the only real exception to this is if the tanks are taking a ton of damage and need the direct healing to stay alive.

As a general rule I've found that if you're using the appropriate number of healers, it'll be damn near impossible for everyone to be ranking above 60th percentile.. In some groups there really isn't much you can do if any given healer (or healers) are just really good players and they manage to get to the heals first.

*the reason that keeping EF rolling on the tanks is important, and necessary, is that your mastery procs from the EF ticks, not just the initial heal, so that shield translates to a lot of absorbs throughout a fight.

• Like 1

Ye, i check some logs and wonder how some ppl coud do 80k hps when mine like 50~. Then i check TOTAL raid HPS - thing is, it was same for both raids. Other healers at raid with hpal 80k hps just let him heal more, and just didnt heal at some moments of fight (for example - when he press AW, noone cast heal, couse it will be mana-loss for raid).

About DP and tier - dp will give us good hps and lot of mana-conserv, but question is, do we realy need this mana-conserv? I am not shure. Last two weeks i have no problems with mana at all. Not shure what better for pure hps buff DP or SW.

So main idea - do not bother about hps if ppl in raid alive =) At this point, better start looking for save "stupid" raiders from dying, even if you loss hps (i have dk in raid, he always dies, and now - i always stack EF on him and always ready to hit LoH button -)).

Im not at mythic yet but i run with DP atm since i have the 4 set bonus and its awesome since some fights i just cant get rid of the procs and it could a Life saver towards your mana at some points of the fight since it can allow you to reg some up pretty quick.

SW is good to but i would recommend it if you dont have the 4p set since DP is more superior then