FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Bozzley

Can we get an updated Demonology guide

Was just wondering if we could get an updated guide to Demonology for the patch 5.1 as the old one seems outdated or i'm just not reading it right which in all fairness could be accurate..

Yeah, I guess...I know you Demonology Warlocks feel left out from my Affliction love. Let me see what I can do. I have been playing all 3 specs. It just sucks that you can't play all three viably like you could in Dragon Soul.

The actual guide to Demonology has been maintained by Icy-Veins. It is up to date and accurate. It can be found by going to the class section of the website (found at the top in the main menu) and going to the Demonology Warlock section. I just won't write Demonology guides for raids because I won't vouch for it when you can play Affliction.

thank you very much for responding,i have read the icy veins guide but your affliction guide was far more insightfull more than just a rotation / proc guide that seems to be what the icy veins guides are.Like the break down that you gave on how pandamic works and how explained the haunt/nightfall proc right down to how to manage your dots and when to reapply them.Sadly that is what im looking for as i am new to the warlock class i have been playing the BEST class in the game HUNTER for past 7 years as an alliance memebr .Now that i have switched to horde i am rolling something different but with alot of the same feel( class/pet).

Hello there. Not an incredible expert or anything of sorts and i am actually w8ing on a proper Demonology guide as i cannot get anything on the internet apart from information on rotations and things anybody using the spec for some time already knows. Havent raided the Terrace part, but from what i've tried so far i think Demo is much more stable spec for people who cannot get used to the detail of "Empowered Dots" and when to refresh them and such that the Affli spec requires in order to hit that insane dps! However, i think the same principle does apply for Demo locks as mentioned in the icy veins guide as well for the Demo lock ( although you only have 2 dots to watch out for and with affdots or something your life can be much easier. In my opinion what u should look out for is treat your metamorphosis the same way you would treat empower dots for affli. When everything procs go into it spam chaos touch then out again. Also from what i've noticed the prio Haste gave me a small dps boost due to reducing the wild imp cd ( currently 16 secs) which also boots ur demonic fury generation. However what troubles me is these moments u hit around 1k Demonic fury but u dont really have any proc on, then spamming touch of chaos refreshes ur corruption on a lower , stat wise, dmg haste etc and as such results in a reduced overall dps? Either way i find Demo cd's to be very good on Demand with imp swarm hitting a 1.50 min with the haste, Grim of Service there next to Dark Soul. Just tried to give some insight maybe if really helpful, give me ur opinions as well.

What do u think about Glyph of Dark soul for Demo? Since ur not gonna hit it immediately unlike affli if u dont have enough Demonic fury, could it possibly work?

Is the Soul Link + Grimoire of Service + Glyph of Demon training any good for PVE compared to The Dark Bargain we all love?

etc

Glyph of Dark Soul really isn't a good DPS glyph. You should be using Dark Soul on cooldown, and delaying it for anything is a DPS loss (unless you KNOW that something better is going to line up - for example, not using it on CD during the pylon phase of Elegon, delaying it until the platform comes up and you begin your assault on him once more).

As for Soul Link, Soul Link works backwards now, as well. If your Felguard takes damage, you also take that damage. This usually isn't a factor for things like AoE damage since he takes 10% of that, but for direct hits, you will feel it, too.

Grimoire of Service is only a beneficial option over Grimoire of Supremacy if you can line up damage on an extra damage phase that happens every 2 minutes or so. Otherwise, it's an on-use ability that if you are not using it perfectly on cooldown, the damage will fall behind that of Supremacy.

When you don't have any trinkets lined up, you'll want to use about 200-300 of your Demonic Fury so that any DF gained isn't wasted, until your trinkets line up again. However, Affdots also works with Demonology and not keeping track of the spell power on Doom would be a HUGE DPS potential loss as you can have Doom up for 90 seconds. Spending a global to power it up to 180% of its original power under Metamorphosis would be a silly thing to pass up. Using Touch of Chaos in Meta form does NOT change the spell power of the Corruption ticking. It only extends the duration to the max, so charging up a powerful Corruption before going into Metamorphosis is a noticable DPS gain.

I really appreciate the proactive attitude you all are taking regarding the possible changes to Warlocks in the coming patch. I had two affliction specs going until I read here. Now, I have set up a demonology spec and am learning it slowly in lfr and dailies. I am a player who finds raid encounters challenging enough that I don't feel the need to entertain myself by changing from aff to demo or destro and back again depending on the boss (I'm happy with adapting my talents and my glyphs, just not so much wit a full specialization change), so I can't say I'm super happy about nerfs to affliction.

I have to say that Ghostcrawler's remark "warlocks are supposed to have pets" doesn't seem to me to be the most compelling reason for dramatic change to a class that already seems to me to be somewhat subject to design by whim.

• Like 1

Thx for the clarification on the Touch of Chaos "refresh". I think it'll make me feel quite less stressed on my next rotation. Also, this may not be the proper topic, but what do u guyz think for the incoming affli nerf? ( if thats the case). Based on some dps rankings and taking into consideration that the affli dps is going to be reduced by 2-3% ( if they indeed nerf Grim of Sac), wouldnt that make Demo and Affli have close dps to each other? I currently raid as affli as well, cause even though i experimented with Demo the dps difference seems Huge to me. I get 67-70k sustained dps on a dummy while with Demo i struggled to to keep it up to 62-65k ( with my gear optimized to Demo according to Mr. Robot).

Using Touch of Chaos in Meta form does NOT change the spell power of the Corruption ticking. It only extends the duration to the max, so charging up a powerful Corruption before going into Metamorphosis is a noticable DPS gain.

It does change the SP actually. I tested this on a dummy last week to find this out for sure. Popped a trinket, cast corruption. Watch the damage ticks. Remove buffs and pop into demo form to hit touch of chaos. Corruption instantly started doing less damage. =/

Edited by Omaric

Yes, you are correct. I never noticed because as soon as I went into Meta, I saw Corruption at 100%. I guess because you do nothing but spam Touch of Chaos, it would be difficult to see. You can't NOT overwrite it as Touch of Chaos is your spammer, so I guess DoT management for Corruption as Demonology is a wasted effort. Should still put some emphasis on maintaining a high powered Doom.

Word. It's all about that Doom. =)

Hmm, I wonder. Let's say your huge procs are about to wear off. Would it be advisable to hold off on spamming ToC and let the buffed corruption run it's full 30 second or so course while you get your DF back up, rather than getting those last fews ToC's off? Or I guess just get more comfortable with the spec and stop ToC as soon as the buffs wear off. Timing might be difficult, but it's probably worth it.

Edited by Omaric

Touch of Chaos ends up being your highest damage component, so I don't think holding off of it is a good idea. I pushed a #10 WoL parse on Feng as my first try raiding Demo and Touch of Chaos was my highest damaging attack. I'm not a pro at Demonology by any means of understanding, but being able to push this kind of ranking must mean I was doing something correct. Here's my log so you can see:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/c82he1nf0au6lq29/sum/damageDone/?s=2421&e=2747#Zagam

You can see how much of an impact holding off on Touch of Chaos would be detrimental to your DPS.