FORUMS
Damien

Hearthstone Nefarian and Onyxia

I'm on attempt- no joke- 116 I've been at this for six days using all variations of this recommended deck and the two others and the best I got was to get him to 12. Frankly I can't really feel like this site is anything except meant to troll people who are coming here for advice.

Then, you are clearly misplaying the deck. As you can read the previous comments, you can realize there are several feedbacks about the success with the suggested decks (or, other suggestions for better decks). I am not sure right now if you just came here to troll or you just feel really upset after the loose streak. But for that, please do not insult our work without any constructive criticism.

Guest thunderust

i didnt have any of the priest rares except for the naxx cards and just filled in with some other basic/random cards i had that held similar properties and i beat it on normal on my first try. thanks for the inspiration. 

These are the cheapest decks I beat Heroic Nefarian and Onyxia with.

Nefarian does not have any card draw besides Chromaggus. The only value play he is capable of is his Hero Power, which he will luckily only use, when there are no other plays available. That is why it is easily possible to outvalue him with strong taunts, heals and efficient removal.

Cheap Priest (80 Dust)
Difficulty: hard (may take more than 10 tries)
Inspiration:

2x Holy Smite
2x Inner Fire
2x Northshire Cleric
2x Power Word: Shield
2x Twilight Whelp
2x Divine Spirit
2x Shadow Word: Pain
2x Blackwing Technician
2x Shadow Word: Death
2x Dragonkin Sorcerer
2x Hungry Dragon
2x Blackwing Corruptor
2x Holy Nova
1x Emperor Thaurissan
1x Chromaggus
2x Mind Control

Use Holy Smite, Twilight Whelp, Blackwing Technician, Blackwing Corruptor and Holy Nova to kill Bone Constructs.
Use Shadow Word: Pain to kill Blackwing Technician and Dragonkin Sorcerer.
Use Shadow Word: Death to kill Draconid Crusher and Chromaggus.
Win condition: Buff Dragonkin Sorcerer to at least 31 attack and kill Nefarian with one single blow, skipping phase 2 and 3 entirely.

Cheap Naxx Priest (80 Dust)
Difficulty: easy (may take up to 5 tries)
Similar, yet more expensive deck: https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/cheap-nefarian-and-onyxia-priest-deck-heroic-mode

2x Holy Smite
2x Inner Fire
2x Northshire Cleric
2x Zombie Chow
2x Divine Spirit
2x Dark Cultist
2x Deathlord
2x Dragonkin Sorcerer
2x Holy Nova
2x Sludge Belcher
1x Emperor Thaurissan
1x Kel'Thuzad
2x Mind Control

Win condition 1: Buff Deathlord or Dragonkin Sorcerer to at least 31 attack and kill Nefarian with one single blow, skipping phase 2 and 3 entirely.
Win condition 2: Have Kel'Thuzad and a taunt on the board.
Win condition 3: Use Kel'Thuzad to revive your minions on the turn from phase 2 to 3.

Cheerio,

Bob

Guest The Big BG

I found this worked really well on my first try. I had to substitute a lightspawn for the lightwell, and I feel it may actually be better. All i needed was a velen's chosen, a random dark cultist's deathrattle, and one divine spirit to get it up to 24 attack. That took away nefarian's armor, then next turn I used my second divine spirit and got the kill.

I assume I had quite a bit of rng on my side, but this deck is definitely possible, hang in there.

Guest BunnyLove

I just beat Nefarian (on Normal mode)  with your mage deck on my third try... it takes some luck with the draw and you really have to know when to go for the face, accepting that you'll never have full board control. One I got past Onyxia it was a close race to the finish, but I had card advantage and in the end it wasn't that hard. Pretty good for a deck with only basic cards in it! Thanks for creating this deck.

Guest Rei

I have to agree that the mage deck provided is really weak and requires immense draw luck to be able to cope. I wiped at least 10 times before i got fed up and made my own deck which 1 shotted the encounter.

If others are interested, the focus was on spells and taunts that could trade 1 for 2 bone constructs.

2x Elven Archer

2x Arcane Explosion

2x Frostbolt

2x Acidic Swamp Ooze

2x Haunted Creeper

2x Murloc Tidehunter

2x Arcane Intellect

2x Ironfur Grizzly

2x Razorfen Hunter

2x Cone of Cold

2x Fireball

2x Polymorph

2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta

2x Booty Bay Bodyguard

2x Flamestrike

Guest TBW

I am impressed! I must admit. This worked for me first time around after a few attempts of my own custom decks. 

Thanks! 

Guest redeye84

Actually i found a general solution for this boss even at heroric mode.

Just mass taunt with Kel Thuzard. Wack face until u hit to onyxia 

Then just before you finish off Onyxia make sure u have 10 Mana and youthful brewmaster.

Go rescue kel thuzard by return him back to ur hand.. then let nefarian clear ur board. 

Once he board clear u.. resummon Kel Thuzzard and PRESTO UR entire army is back. 

Guest madde

worst deck ever tried it 10+ times and dont even get to Onyxia, made my own and did Neffy in second try, this is a strange mage deck for this quest....

Guest irrelevant

I was actually able to build a priest deck that worked quite well. I controlled the board and kept his minions cleared while I buffed my Gurubashi Berserker. First using x2 Velen's Chosen, then my first of two Divine Spirits (I used my second copy the moment I drew it two turns later). All the while controlling the board with spells like Shadow Word: Pain & Death along with Holy Nova and Silence. Sadly I never drew my Inner Fire, but I didn't end up needing it, just took longer. Another great card I used was my Explosive Sheep for clearing his Bone Minons and other damaged minions. 

If you kill Nefarian before he summons Onyxia, you won't have to face her. I am not going to sit here and say my strategy was the easiest, but with some luck of the draws, it only took 4 trys to get it right. Low cost taunts are super helpful in keeping any minons Nefarian summons occupied. 

I should also mention I have only been playing for about a month. So I am a relative noob to this game but I wanted to share my experience with this very troublesome boss. 

Guest Jimmy

Thanks for sharing the deck! I ended up substituting the mind control tech with a mind games card and temple enforcer with a shadow word:pain card and it worked like a charm. I got it on my second attempt. :)

Guest Soth

I have to agree that the mage deck provided is really weak and requires immense draw luck to be able to cope. I wiped at least 10 times before i got fed up and made my own deck which 1 shotted the encounter.

If others are interested, the focus was on spells and taunts that could trade 1 for 2 bone constructs.

2x Elven Archer

2x Arcane Explosion

2x Frostbolt

2x Acidic Swamp Ooze

2x Haunted Creeper

2x Murloc Tidehunter

2x Arcane Intellect

2x Ironfur Grizzly

2x Razorfen Hunter

2x Cone of Cold

2x Fireball

2x Polymorph

2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta

2x Booty Bay Bodyguard

2x Flamestrike

Rei,

I 1-shot Nefarian using your deck! Thanks for the suggestion!

But to be fair to Sottie, I nearly 1-shot Nefarian using his basic deck too, but I was too careless and played a card that drew 2 cards, which led to me losing 5 hp, which would have enabled me to last another turn that would have finished off Nefarian. I never got much closer than this first time, and tried many times (maybe 10-15 times) to defeat Nefarian using the basic deck.

Then I decided to check out the forums and saw your deck... thanks again, Rei!

Guest Peter

I've been playing the mage deck and lost about 30+ times now. It's so difficult to beat onyxia even after destroying her weapon with the swamp ooze which the strategy suggested. On the rare occasion that I do, the board gets easily taken over cos you used pretty much all your low level monster in the beginning of the match.

I was actually able to build a priest deck that worked quite well. I controlled the board and kept his minions cleared while I buffed my Gurubashi Berserker. First using x2 Velen's Chosen, then my first of two Divine Spirits (I used my second copy the moment I drew it two turns later). All the while controlling the board with spells like Shadow Word: Pain & Death along with Holy Nova and Silence. Sadly I never drew my Inner Fire, but I didn't end up needing it, just took longer. Another great card I used was my Explosive Sheep for clearing his Bone Minons and other damaged minions. 

Thanks for this great tip!

I had been struggling with the Basic Mage Deck prescribed for a couple days. I didn't feel I was getting anywhere with Mage, but Mage is also not one of my preferred decks.

I tried using a custom Priest deck, relying on Clerics for card draws.. which worked quite well. 4 times I got through the first 2 stages of the battle, and Nefarian's final stage down to a mere 3 health. Alsa, by that time I had completely wiped my deck, and thus succumbed to the pain of self inflicted damage from deck burn.

Reading over this feed I though the approach offered by Guest_Irrelevant was worth trying. 1st attempt my draws were just not lucky. 2nd try though, was EXTREMELY successful. Spells and low cost taunts, as well as low cost charge mininos kept Nefarian's minions at bay until I had enough mana to play the Berserker. I had also acquired a few buff cards.

With the help of an explosive sheep and Nefarian casting a LAVA!, my Berserker was up to a delicious 31/28. One hit to Neffy's face and finally, sweet sweet victory.

Forgot to share my deck.

Berserker Priest Deck

2x Silence

2x Elven Archer

2x Stonetusk Boar

2x Voodoo Doctor

2x Divine Spirit

1x Explosive Sheep

2x Frostwolf Grunt

2x Novice Engineer

2x Velen's Chosen

1x Gnomeregan Infantry

2x Ironforge Rifleman

2x Holy Nova

2x Gurubashi Berserker

Guest Zaptios

Simple explanation: Priest > Get a minion to alot of health > Make sure to put up some walls to protect the minion > get him to 31-40 health > Inner fire > 1 shot. And you have won. Inner fire isn´t that expensive so have fun wrecking Nefarian. Also doing by this might not work out for 4-6 turns as he has some counter spells such as soul fire. Try to get his whole area filled with dragon egg´s/nerubian egg´s so he doesn´t have much damage and protect your buffed minion untill 31-40 attack. And also, I did this at the time when I didn´t have Naxxramas completed. So yeah, Kel Thuzad is unecessary after all wink.png

Guest Alexander

There is an error in the Hero Powers section. Nefarian Strikes is not a random amount of damage. It follows the pattern 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4, 1, 5... 

There is an error in the Hero Powers section. Nefarian Strikes is not a random amount of damage. It follows the pattern 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4, 1, 5... 

Oh cool, I did not know that. Do you have confirmation you can link to?

Oh cool, I did not know that. Do you have confirmation you can link to?

Gamepedia

Hearthhead

Trump also made a video, but he kills Onyxia both in normal and heroic in just two turns. However, the hero power damage was the same in heroic and in normal (1,2).

Guest Saren Kol

This deck works!!! Got him on the first try. You just have to patient, have a little draw luck, and not attack until you are ready. Hide behind your taunts.

Guest Jesse

Thank you! Relies heavily on card draw luck but if you have deathlord, Kel thuzad and dark cultist on the board it's GG.  You just wait to draw Inner Fire after buffing Deathlord's health.  Luckily Nef used up his 2 soulfires early on.

Guest Philly

Well, there is certainly some kind of error in the basic Mage deck, because it only contains 28 cards--not 30. 

I actually got farther with my own mage deck against Nefarian than with this one.

Perhaps I'll try the Priest deck on Normal....

I'd be interested to find out what the people who say they tried this deck actually ended up doing here.