galaxybird

Question about Recommended Frost Spec Gems

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,

This site has been incredibly helpful in playing and gearing up my Frost Mage, but I've got one question.

Why does the recommended Gem's section say this for red gems?

Posted ImagePosted Image

The Precise Primordial Ruby offers +320 expertise. I don't understand why you wouldn't get a +Hit gem if you were struggling to reach the hit cap. Brilliant Primordial Ruby makes total sense, if you don't need +Hit, +int is the best way to go.

Veiled Imperial Amethyst

+80 Intellect and +160 Hit

Veiled Imperial Amethyst seems like a much better choice.

Without really thinking, I purchase the Precise Primordial Ruby on the AH. Does it affect Hit in some way other than +hit? Like my armory shows, I'm at about +11% hit.

Thanks for the advice!

Expertise these days gives also spell hit so 1expertise is the same as 1hit point so if you got gear with for example hit and mastery on it you can reforge teh mastery to expertise to get more hit chance. So the expertise gems are now pretty nice for any caster Posted Image. But you only use it in red socket gems if the socket bonus is pretty nice or you really miss like 320points in hit to reach cap

Edited by MichaelTheys

As Michael said, Expertise now gives you spell hit, so you can consider, as a DPS caster, that inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_red.jpgPrecise Primordial Ruby gives you +320 Hit Rating. Also, as a Frost Mage, 320 Hit Rating (or 320 Expertise Rating, it's the same thing) is better than 160 Intellect. This is why we advise you to gem for pure Expertise, rather than advising the purple Int/Hit gem.

As Michael said, Expertise now gives you spell hit, so you can consider, as a DPS caster, that inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_red.jpgPrecise Primordial Ruby gives you +320 Hit Rating. Also, as a Frost Mage, 320 Hit Rating (or 320 Expertise Rating, it's the same thing) is better than 160 Intellect. This is why we advise you to gem for pure Expertise, rather than advising the purple Int/Hit gem.

I'd like to point out that if you have no trouble reaching the hit cap, then this does not need concern you. When the stat with a cap is abundant, it loses its inherent value to you.

Gotta play that one by eye.

~Sage

Edited by Sagetastic
1 person likes this

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Browed
      I will NOT be using BoS in 7.1.5...  why?
      http://www.wowhead.com/item=132459/perseverance-of-the-ebon-martyr
      Build:
      http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/death-knight/frost/cj7z
      Basically with the combination of Gathering Storm (extended RW) and fitting more Rime into that time period I'm hoping that my M+ hybrid spec will remain competitive and the sims thus far seem to support the theory.
      If you have the helm too, grats! and look forward to the major increase in it's power with Freezing Fog +30% and Tier 19 based around more Rime and more RP from Rime we should see many viable builds popping up on logs. **Stay with FP for now until you have T19 x 2 - see updated build link ^^
      Why not BoS and Hungering? ... well, I'm looking for big Rime crits and don't fancy the long CD to manage. I also want to remain powerful in M+ which should be the case with this build... I'm pretty sure I can become more useful with Winter is Coming + extended RW... stunning mobs for the whole of PoF uptime.
      Obliteration will be used to maximise rune spam for Gathering Storm.
      Lets hear your thoughts?
    • By Leshrac
      Hey! Somebody help me please, Which should I use? 
      Tiny Oozeling Jar  870 ilvl
      Accolade of Victory: (1560 str;1055 Versa) 870ilvl
      Memento of Angerboda 855ilvl
      Nature's Call 850ilvl
      Horn of Valor 855ilvl
      Spiked Counterwight 855ilvl
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/arathor/Leshrac/simple
      thanks for the help

• By Nyancoil
      Hello all,
      This is my first post in this area of the forum and I was wondering if someone can help me.
      I've recently started logging my encounters - starting with my guilds ToV HC run.
      While I'm always usually in the top 2-5 people on the DPS meter during raids, the log I took for the ToV HC run show me to be in the lower percentiles for that fight for my gear level (879 equipped, 880 bagged). I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me and let me know if there is something wrong in my rotation? Anything is appreciated, I'd like to maximise what I can if there's more I can eek out of my spec!
      Log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4p1dqz73WD86jnRL/#type=damage-done&source=5 (it's a live log so it'll be constantly updating while this run is going)
      Log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/68rytKvmMxH7RTkc#fight=17 (for some other information - here is my Kara clear for the week (with NB))
      Armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/darkspear/Eaglie/simple
      If any more information is required please let me know!
      Thanks guys!

• By Andell
      Patch 7.1.5 is a few days away, and I think it's probably safe to assume that no major changes will occur in the last few days before it's release. This being the case, I was wondering what to expect for 7.1.5, namely:
      Will we be forced to use a BoS build on patch day? Or is OBRA still the way to go?
      Are there any rotation/talent changes we need to make?
      What is the general stat priority? (I know simming is better)
      With the secondary stat squish, what are the new breakpoints?
      Do we still want fishbrul special food? Still prolonged power?
      Which legendaries are better than others? Any way we could get a legendary rankings list?
      Any other notable changes that we need to actively "change" something for?
    • By FireWater
      The advice for frost dks on this site right now seems very... oversimplified. With so much different gear, with different legendary combinations things can get rather variable, so I had a few thoughts and questions. 
      Firstly, base 'rotation'. Recommended talents tend to go:  Runic Attenuation and Obliteration for single target, or Frostscythe and Glacial advance for the aoe true 'machinegun build'. Single target with obliterate is simple enough, but using machinegun build during periods of single target dps, all they have is a base priority list that seems lacking. 
      They recommend: 
      Frost fever up>Glacial Advance>Remorseless Winter>Frostscythe>Frost Strike
      And that's really all it says. I've been sticking with the same talents even in single target, and I've been making due with the following:
      Frost Fever up
      Frost strike to keep Icy Talons from dropping (typically once every 2-3 global cooldowns) or if your RP is almost capped.
      Frostscythe with KM proc
      Howling blast with Rime proc
      Glacial advance and Remorseless Winter when available
      Obliterate for rune dump and rime procs

Done properly, and with normal luck on procs (and decent haste), you should be able to keep Icy Talons at near 100% uptime. 
      Beyond that, the stats it advises amounts to soft crit and haste caps, then Versatility > Mastery. But a spec using lots of RW, GA, and big Frostscythe crits makes me wonder if more mastery wouldn't be better. Especially if you get  the legendary bracers (Toravon's whiteout bindings) which give an extra 15% frost damage during PoF.
      With the same legendary in mind, is it worth using Frostscythe on single targets during PoF?
      And if you have the bracers AND the ring that gives 2x charges of Empower Rune Weapon, how does dps compare for Breath of Sindragosa build? I can imagine amazing burst dps every 2 minutes, but would that make up for the lack of avalache and glacial advance?