Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Divinorum

Raiding with 2 Disc Priests - Can it be done?

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've got a question this morning specific to raiding as a Priest. I'm currently a raiding priest that's 10/10 Heroic BRF, and up until now I've been raiding with our progression team as Holy. I've played this spec because our guild already has an established Disc priest in the raid (he's the raid leader) and being lower on the totem pole means you have to compromise for the good of the raid (if you wanna get into the raid!). Prior to joining my current guild, I had been a Disc priest and was very, very comfortable playing that spec.

However, I really haven't enjoyed playing Holy very much. It took me a few weeks to bed into this new spec (which I'd never really played very much), and get the needed muscle memory in place so that I was operating at high efficiency. After sticking through that initial adjustment period, I feel I have the knack for it. My numbers have improved markedly week over week, but... I just can't generate the same HPS as a Holy priest. It's becoming frustrating because it's starting to suck the joy out of the game for me. My logs show that as a Holy priest I often rank middle of the pack or worse when it comes to HPS and percentile rankings. Flip that to Disc, and I'm among the *most* efficient, regularly scoring above the 85th percentile.

Does anyone know of or have evidence of a guild utilizing 2 disc priests for endgame/progression raiding? I'd be very interested to see how they handle healing assignments so that there's no overlap on the weakened soul debuff, and they can both operate at max efficiency. I've seen bits here and there that suggest one Disc takes Clarity of Will and tank heal, while the other takes Words of Mending and prioritizes Holy Nova a little higher in their spell selection. But, I've not seen any logs that corroborate that anecdotal evidence.

Any evidence that this is a viable raiding setup would be awesome. I really want to enjoy raiding with my priest and want to continue doing so. But doing it as Holy for the long haul just isn't appealing to me at all. The spec frustrates me to no end. And finding a new guild that'll let me be Disc isn't the answer, I love my guild. The raid leader is open to the idea of 2 discs, and I just want to show him evidence it's viable. If there's a shot it could be done, I'd like to know.

Hi, Divinorum and welcome to the forums!

I personally raid on two toons when one of them is a disc priest and it happened not once that we had two discs in raid.

Unfortunately, you did not provide any logs and did not mention your raid composition and healing setup, so I will try to answer in general.

The value of two discs in setup highly depends on who are your other healers.

1. The bigger your raid is - the better two discs will feel themselves. Meaning: 2 healers setup (discs) - pretty bad, 3 healers setup (with two discs) - problematic because one of them will have to direct heal most of time and this is not a disc's strong side, 4 healers setup (with two discs) - okay, 5 healers setup (with two discs) - completely fine.

2. If you have 3-4 healers setup and your other healer is a Holy Paladin - it's not very good for 2 discs because your CoW will interfere with the Beacons and both disc with CoW and Pala will lose more than gain.

3. You will always have to divide your zones of responsibility, groups to heal and pretty much take different talents in tier 7: CoW and WoM - so one of the discs will mostly prevent tank and single target (soakers) damage while the other one will shield the raid.

I am not saying here that disc with CoW shouldn't shield the raid, but due to the long cast time of CoW, they wouldn't be able to use PW:Shield proactively.

You will have to divide the groups in raid for PoH healing and shielding direction (one disc starts from gr.1 and goes forward, the second one starts from group 3 (15-man) or 4 (20-man) and moves backward)

4. You should use proper healing frames and always track Weakened Soul debuff so you wouldn't waste time trying to reshield debuffed raiders.

5. Two discs would feel better on farm raids where the damage is pretty low and 'healing' healers often get very high overheal numbers.

Two discs would make a problem on progress raids with high overall damage in small raid groups where the healers have to bring people back to full health pretty fast.

Anyways, it was the theory.

If your raid is 20-man+ and you don't have a Holy Pala - go for two discs, it's fine, in other case - you should plan very carefully what every healer is doing and maybe you will still have to switch to Holy on some fights to not complicate the life of everybody.

Hope, it helps.

If you have any more specific questions, you are welcome to ask smile.png

Thank you for the warm welcome and feedback!!! I apologize for overlooking a link to my logs. You can view them by clicking the link below, they'll be listed on the right hand side. Up until this week, we had been raiding with 1 Disc, 1 Holy Pally, 1-2 Druid/Shaman, and myself. As of this week, it appears we've picked up another Pally. Which really makes life more miserable for me. 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/player/us/dalaran/divinorum

Myself and the raid leader (coincidentally, the disc priest) have come to an understanding that will allow me to switch between the specs depending on the fight and circumstances. On some occasions, he'll dps and I will Disc in his place. Which is all I've really wanted. I am all for doing what needs to be done for the raid, but it's arguable that me playing Holy doesn't even accomplish that - given that so much of my healing is overheal.

Yeah, I understand your concerns. But there is no much you can do in the situation when you have too many healers and they are playing same classes.

The only valuable decision here (and you already made it) for all the healers is to have a dps spec and rotate.

Btw, so much of your healing is overheal because you are using too many healers. I see 5 healers for 19-man HC in your logs.

In my team we switch from 3 to 4 healers when moving to 18-19 people (depends on fight).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Alwaysmiddle
      Hi! CatBus Raiding Academy. @Arthas-US 
      Voice Program: Discord
      Our Current Progression: 
      http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/arthas/Catbus+Raiding+Academy
      Our Raiding Schedule: 
      Fri/Sat 22:00 to 1:00 EST (EST is also server time) 
      Sunday Afternoon ~2:30pm EST is optional (non-progression) farm day. We switch between normal mode, and heroic mode raids.
      Guild Summary:
      -Building a team around 25-30 Mythic Level Raiders
      -2 Nights/ 6 hours Schedule, success in raiding doesn't come with cost of your life!(Not Anymore)
      -Very little guild hierarchy
      -Being a friendly and helpful guild for those who are actively seeking help to improve
      -Mythic plus dungeon runs!
      -4 Nights Trial Period
      Loot rules:
      EPGP is used to distribute loot in our raid, loot rules will be explained fully upon applying, the aim is to distribute loot fairly and accurately.
      You can find our logs at:
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/116404
      You can apply here:
      http://tinyurl.com/jbjagyv
      Mythic/Mythic+ legion dungeon logs will be strongly recommended and some applicants may be requested to run a mythic dungeon with us.
      You can contact us @ alwaysmiddle#1413 (Main Recruiter) or soulonfire#1849 (Recruiter) for any questions.
    • By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 7/7 Mythic EN+ 1/3 Mythic ToV
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      Apply here: lustful-guild.com or message me.

<Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented mythic guild!

We are currently looking for most classes and roles:
      Healer: HIGH DEMAND!
      Range Damage: HIGH DEMAND!
      Melee damage: Medium demand.

Expectations:
      Be on time
      Have Discord for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      RCLootCouncil
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our Discord is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614
    • By Badsquishy
      <Rage Pillage Murder> 
      http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/korgath/Rage+Pillage+Murder

RPM is recruiting. We are a semi-hardcore raiding guild looking to progress through Emerald Nightmare and are looking for the following classes/roles to fill our roster. 

Ranged DPS: Any.
      Healers: Druid, Priest, Shaman

Most of all we value versatility; those players who have multiple viable specs and will place the needs of the raid group over their personal needs.

We currently have raiding groups:
      Progression/Main Raid (7/7M, 3/3H) running T/W/Sun 8:30-10:00pm server 
      Causal/Alt Raid (7/7H & 3/3N) running TH/Sat 8:00pm-10:30pm server.

We also have weekly organized RBG's on Monday/Thursday at 8:00pm server.

Add Bravox#1395, Equilibrium#1971, or Badsquishy#1265 to message for more information about raiding.
      Add Deathundone#1802 for more information about PvP.
      Or apply online at Ragepillagemurder.enjin.com
    • By rebkah
      Hello, everybody! We're Heralds of Strife, a Horde raiding guild on Wyrmrest Accord. We are looking to pick up more players for upcoming Nighthold progression.
      What We're About

Heralds of Strife is a warm, welcoming community. Our current members range from previous top US 34th raiders to promising newcomers that are hungry to learn and improve. When we are not raiding, we are actively playing many games, from Hearthstone to Overwatch and many others that our guild members have suggested. Heralds of Strife is more than just a raiding guild on World of Warcraft, we are friends who are looking to have fun and get to know each other in our free time. That said, our primary focus will always be to complete the most challenging content that World of Warcraft has to offer during its relevance.

Current Progression
      7/7 Mythic EN
      3/3 Heroic ToV

Raid Schedule
      Tuesday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST
      Saturday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST
      Monday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST

Loot System

We use a Loot Council with defined parameters. This is broken down into several categories:
      Attendance Performance Attitude Biggest Upgrade Recent Wins
      We publicly record attendance and items received (via RCLootCouncil). Our devoted, down-to-earth leadership has the experience and knowledge needed to ensure upgrades are given to the proper players for progression while maintaining a fair, friendly, and entertaining guild atmosphere.

Trial Period

Heralds of Strife is a raiding guild primarily. As such, we do have a trial period for new recruits. With that being said, new raiders will have a 2 week trial period. This trial period begins at the start of the first raid upon joining, and ends on the last raid of the 2nd week.
      The three core principles expected of trials:

Reliability Positivity Adaptability
      Reliability: We expect our trial raiders to show up for raids, on time, and prepared with the basic necessities to do the raid efficiently. We also expect our trials to have some knowledge on encounters, but we are more than willing to help teach and nurture our raiders. Make a commitment with us and we will do our very best to make sure that you're taken care of. We want to get to know you, as you're not just numbers on our spreadsheet. Here in Heralds of Strife,YOU matter.

Positivity: We encourage our trial raiders, and our members, in general, to have a positive attitude, ranging from casual conversation to raid progression. There will be nights where progression might seem rough, but, pushing forward with a positive mindset are one of the keys to success. C'mon team, we can do this!

Adaptability: Our leadership takes the opportunity to analyze our performance logs after each raid night, offering those who are lagging behind some constructive assistance in the long-term goal of improving the player. Our team is only as strong as the player next to us, so we want to work together to overcome any obstacle that may be hindering our performance. Our motto is "iron sharpens iron".

Recruiting

Tank:
      -Warrior, Paladin
      Healer:
      -Shaman, Druid, Paladin
      Melee:
      -Warrior, Demon Hunter, Death Knight
      Ranged:
      -Hunter, Mage, Warlock, Druid

How To Join

Fill out an application @ heralds.wowlaunch.com. If we're interested in your application, we will reach out to you ASAP for a follow-up interview in Discord.

References:

(Battletags)
      Lorvid - Lorvid#1749 (GM)
      Ritticus - Ritticus#1171 (Co-GM)
      (Discord)
      Rebkah - Rebkah#1877 (Officer)
    • By Reikettsu
      Like A Boss - 7/7H & 3/3H Recruiting All Players for our raid group and for Mythics+.

About us:
      Like A Boss was founded during WotLK by a small group of real life friends. We are formerly a 10-man Heroic raiding guild that raided throughout WotLK and went on a hiatus mid-Cataclysm. We are a semi-hardcore guild, and are looking for dedicated members who are able to make majority (if not all) of our scheduled raids or any players interested in joining our Mythics+. Our guild is mostly active at night, anywhere from 5pm PST till about 12am PST (varies). We have a casual-ish atmosphere with a serious desire for progression.

What we are looking for:
      We currently have 15 raiders and we are looking to recruit more members to join our flexible raid roster so that we may progress into Mythic raids (requires 20). At this moment, we are open to all players; we are seeking out tanks, healers, and DPS (prefer ranged). We are open to both new and returning players. As mentioned above, we are also seeking players (any class/spec) that may be interested in joining our Mythics+. We run Mythics+ almost every night. While we prefer a geared player, we value a positive attitude over experience. Any players who are interested and active at the times mentioned above, please contact us. We are also open to players interested in a "filler" type role (can make some raid days but not all).

Additional information and scheduled raids:
      Our raids are currently on Tues/Wed/Sun from 6:30pm PST till 8:30pm PST and we use Curse for our raids. RCLoot Council is a required add-on if you plan to raid with us. We typically try out new recruits for at least a week or two to ensure that it is a good fit for both the recruit as well as our guild. We encourage trials to join us in raids, dungeons, our VOIP, and/or even in other games. Raid spots are not guaranteed due to the flexible raid roster.

If you are interested in our guild or want to know more, please message/add Shells-Bloodscalp or Ryozul#1598. For the horde!