Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Raiding with 2 Disc Priests - Can it be done?

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've got a question this morning specific to raiding as a Priest. I'm currently a raiding priest that's 10/10 Heroic BRF, and up until now I've been raiding with our progression team as Holy. I've played this spec because our guild already has an established Disc priest in the raid (he's the raid leader) and being lower on the totem pole means you have to compromise for the good of the raid (if you wanna get into the raid!). Prior to joining my current guild, I had been a Disc priest and was very, very comfortable playing that spec.

However, I really haven't enjoyed playing Holy very much. It took me a few weeks to bed into this new spec (which I'd never really played very much), and get the needed muscle memory in place so that I was operating at high efficiency. After sticking through that initial adjustment period, I feel I have the knack for it. My numbers have improved markedly week over week, but... I just can't generate the same HPS as a Holy priest. It's becoming frustrating because it's starting to suck the joy out of the game for me. My logs show that as a Holy priest I often rank middle of the pack or worse when it comes to HPS and percentile rankings. Flip that to Disc, and I'm among the *most* efficient, regularly scoring above the 85th percentile.

Does anyone know of or have evidence of a guild utilizing 2 disc priests for endgame/progression raiding? I'd be very interested to see how they handle healing assignments so that there's no overlap on the weakened soul debuff, and they can both operate at max efficiency. I've seen bits here and there that suggest one Disc takes Clarity of Will and tank heal, while the other takes Words of Mending and prioritizes Holy Nova a little higher in their spell selection. But, I've not seen any logs that corroborate that anecdotal evidence.

Any evidence that this is a viable raiding setup would be awesome. I really want to enjoy raiding with my priest and want to continue doing so. But doing it as Holy for the long haul just isn't appealing to me at all. The spec frustrates me to no end. And finding a new guild that'll let me be Disc isn't the answer, I love my guild. The raid leader is open to the idea of 2 discs, and I just want to show him evidence it's viable. If there's a shot it could be done, I'd like to know.

Hi, Divinorum and welcome to the forums!

I personally raid on two toons when one of them is a disc priest and it happened not once that we had two discs in raid.

Unfortunately, you did not provide any logs and did not mention your raid composition and healing setup, so I will try to answer in general.

The value of two discs in setup highly depends on who are your other healers.

1. The bigger your raid is - the better two discs will feel themselves. Meaning: 2 healers setup (discs) - pretty bad, 3 healers setup (with two discs) - problematic because one of them will have to direct heal most of time and this is not a disc's strong side, 4 healers setup (with two discs) - okay, 5 healers setup (with two discs) - completely fine.

2. If you have 3-4 healers setup and your other healer is a Holy Paladin - it's not very good for 2 discs because your CoW will interfere with the Beacons and both disc with CoW and Pala will lose more than gain.

3. You will always have to divide your zones of responsibility, groups to heal and pretty much take different talents in tier 7: CoW and WoM - so one of the discs will mostly prevent tank and single target (soakers) damage while the other one will shield the raid.

I am not saying here that disc with CoW shouldn't shield the raid, but due to the long cast time of CoW, they wouldn't be able to use PW:Shield proactively.

You will have to divide the groups in raid for PoH healing and shielding direction (one disc starts from gr.1 and goes forward, the second one starts from group 3 (15-man) or 4 (20-man) and moves backward)

4. You should use proper healing frames and always track Weakened Soul debuff so you wouldn't waste time trying to reshield debuffed raiders.

5. Two discs would feel better on farm raids where the damage is pretty low and 'healing' healers often get very high overheal numbers.

Two discs would make a problem on progress raids with high overall damage in small raid groups where the healers have to bring people back to full health pretty fast.

Anyways, it was the theory.

If your raid is 20-man+ and you don't have a Holy Pala - go for two discs, it's fine, in other case - you should plan very carefully what every healer is doing and maybe you will still have to switch to Holy on some fights to not complicate the life of everybody.

Hope, it helps.

If you have any more specific questions, you are welcome to ask smile.png

Thank you for the warm welcome and feedback!!! I apologize for overlooking a link to my logs. You can view them by clicking the link below, they'll be listed on the right hand side. Up until this week, we had been raiding with 1 Disc, 1 Holy Pally, 1-2 Druid/Shaman, and myself. As of this week, it appears we've picked up another Pally. Which really makes life more miserable for me.

Myself and the raid leader (coincidentally, the disc priest) have come to an understanding that will allow me to switch between the specs depending on the fight and circumstances. On some occasions, he'll dps and I will Disc in his place. Which is all I've really wanted. I am all for doing what needs to be done for the raid, but it's arguable that me playing Holy doesn't even accomplish that - given that so much of my healing is overheal.

Yeah, I understand your concerns. But there is no much you can do in the situation when you have too many healers and they are playing same classes.

The only valuable decision here (and you already made it) for all the healers is to have a dps spec and rotate.

Btw, so much of your healing is overheal because you are using too many healers. I see 5 healers for 19-man HC in your logs.

In my team we switch from 3 to 4 healers when moving to 18-19 people (depends on fight).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LanceFW[/img]     Valiant Vengeance was created about 7 years ago by the same leadership that is held today. We are a progression minded semi-hardcore guild who has raided since WoTLK. Each raid tier we have gotten progressively better at our pace and we plan to be a competing guild in Legion. VV raids 3 nights a week for a total of 9 hours a week.   Progression: 5/7M 7/7H   Raid Times: 6-9PM Pacific Raid Days Tues, Thurs, and Sun Loot System: EPGP Voice Comm: Discord   Current Recruitment Needs:   Tank Will make considerations 1 RDPS of any class . 1 Strong healer with a good DPS os, prefer R Sham   All applications regardless of role and spec will be considered if you can make our raid times and perform to our standards.   Our guild is comprised of members who have been with us for quite awhile, over several raid tiers and and expansions. We are pretty close knit and are wishing to add to the team. Just because we are progression minded and serious about raiding does not mean we do not have fun and just be friends. VV is a strictly no drama guild and any of those who wish to start it are immediately removed. If you are seeking a friendly, fun guild to raid with and be competitive with in Legion, VV is the place for you!   For any questions please add me on Btag or apply on our Guildsite. Raid Leader and Guild Master: Pyra#1209 Co-GM: Lance#1115 Guild Site:  
    • By glo
      <Shes Got Big Crits> Will gear you up! We're 7/7H now, and in need of great players to progress through Mythic EN!
      Server: Mal'ganis- Horde
      Raid Times: Tuesday (7-10PM CST), Wednesday (7-10PM CST)
      Progression: 7/7 Heroic EN
      Goals: 7/7 Mythic Progression
      We currently need:
      - Boomkins
      - Hunters
      - Mages
      - Offtank
      - And all exceptional players
      We're a casual guild looking for people who want an easy going - but high performance environment.
      Does this sound like something you want?
      Why us?
      Every member of our guild has a sense of community. We are an incredibly inclusive guild. 
      What sets us apart from other casual guilds is our desire for excellence. If you hold yourself to a high standard - you are exactly what we're looking for. We're looking for self-motivated people who want to be part of a true team.
      What we offer
      - A fun, easy raiding experience.
      - Get more gear without stress.
      - A strong sense of community.
      Contact us:
      Discord: doss#2951, glo#3369
      BNET: doss#1571, glo#1340
      Hop on - send us a message.
    • By Sajakain
      ► Introduction:
      <Hand of Fate> is an Alliance Raiding Guild on US-Stormrage and we are looking for like-minded individuals to join our raid team. Our overall goal is to clear content while it is relevant while only raiding two nights a week.
      What are your goals for Legion? What kind of raid team are you looking for?
      ► The Details:
      Here are some of the direct details you are probably looking for concerning our team:
      Raid Days: Tuesday and Wednesday Raid Time: 9:00 PM - 12:00 AM Eastern Standard Time (EST) Invites: 8:30 PM - 8:45 PM EST Attendance Requirement: 100% Current Progression: 7/7(H)  
      ► What We're Looking For:
      Above anything else, we're looking for the player with an attitude and character that fits our team. We have turned several "skilled" players away simply because their attitude was not right for our team. Gear can be given and this game can be taught; character and attitude cannot.
      Specific Class Needs:
      We consider all applications that are submitted regardless of class or spec. We are, however, in immediate need of:
      Healers: (Druid, Monk, Paladin, Shaman MDPS: (Rogue) RDPS: (Druid, Hunter, Priest)  
      ► Our Expectations:
      All or our expectations can be found on our website (provided below) in greater detail. For a quick list, however, we expect the following:
      You should shoot for 100% attendance. We understand life happens (and do allow for absences as such) but you are committing yourself to a team with other individuals who are adjusting their lives to raid with you. If you should need to miss raid, we have a forum board to post such absences. You should be well versed in your chosen class and spec. As a bonus, being well versed in multiple specs (based on class) is even better. You should be able to handle the game, smoothly with adequate graphics to determine where the fire is. Additionally, your connection should be stable enough to prevent you from disconnecting twice an hour. Lagging out and disconnecting on a regular basis is not acceptable. Additionally, you should have a functioning microphone to communicate in TeamSpeak. Talking will not always be required of you but you should have the ability and willingness to do so if asked. You should be willing to register on our website and, at the very least, read content that is posted to it. Writing on our forums is not required except in rare cases. Our website is a valuable resource to the guild; it hosts information about upcoming raids, strategies, and theorycrafting sections but is also host to some of our recreational games that involves you outside of raiding; fun stuff with prizes and entertaining posts all around.
      ► Mythic+ Dungeons:
      We are also recruiting folks that are interested in farming Mythic+ dungeons in addition to our raiding.
      ► Contact Information:
      Below you will find the information you need to get in contact with us should you have any questions or concerns. Additionally, you will find the link to our website so that you can read more about us.
      Thank you for taking the time to read this and we look forward to finding like-minded individuals to take on Legion with us!
      BattleTag Contacts:
      Sajakain (Guild Master / Raid Leader): Sajakain#1683 Sanatlock (Guild Officer): KUEng#1553
    • By Reikettsu
      Like A Boss - 7/7H Recruiting Ranged DPS and Heals for Mythic progression.
      About us:
      Like A Boss was founded during WotLK by a small group of in real life friends. We are formerly a 10-man Heroic raiding guild that raided throughout WotLK and went on a hiatus during Firelands (Cataclysm). We are a semi-hardcore guild, and are looking for dedicated members who are able to make majority (if not all) of our scheduled raids.
      What we are looking for:
      We currently have 15 raiders and we are looking to recruit more members to join our flexible raid roster so that we may progress into Mythic raids. At this moment, we are only seeking out ranged DPS (prefer lock, mage, or hunter) and healers (prefer druid or monk).
      Additional information and scheduled raids:
      Our raids are currently on Tues/Wed/Sun from 6:30pm PST till 8:30pm PST and we use Ventrilo for our raids. We typically try out new recruits for at least a week or two to ensure that it is a good fit for both the recruit as well as our guild. Raid spots are not guaranteed due to the flexible raid roster (ie. if we only have 2 healers available, we cannot do 20man that night).
      If you are interested in our guild or want to know more, please message/add Shells-Bloodscalp or Ryozul#1598. For the horde!
    • By Silvanis
      Immortal Icons(Stormrage) 2/7M, 7/7H
      We are seeking like minded competent players who want to join our Mythic progression team. We are a semi-hardcore guild.

Raid Times
      Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 10:00 pm - 1:00 am EST

We are specifically looking for a warlock and mage to fill out roster!

Respond here or whisper me @ Silvanis1876