FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
RyanGates

Semi-new player with gold spending question.

Hello, I started Hearthstone when it came out and played very lightly for a while. Now I came back and started using gold mostly for solo-adventures (I finished Naxx, have the first wing of Blackrock down, close to the gold for the second), and I was wondering. When I finish off Blackrock, I kind of want to use the gold for arena, but I feel like classic packs are more valuable than GvG packs to a person with an extremely limited collection such as me.

Thoughts? My main goal is to get enough of a collection together so I can do a ranked run to legend cheap and maintain gold to run arena in my off time.

I would say that unless you would like to play a tempo mage , there is no reason to unlock more than the first 2 wings of BRM. Especially if you are trying to go with the cheap and effective decks like: Zoo, Hunter decks in general and maybe Mech Mage. But it does come down to which classes do you prefer.  

I`ll give you an overview of BRM wing usefulness, in my opinion:

1st Wing: Grim Patron(Key card of the arguably best ladder deck atm), Emperor Thaurissan(Used in most midrange and control decks to make their card interactions way more accessible and thus more explosive), Quick Shot(Staple card for essentially all hunter decks because of its potential value and the fact it adds to hunters reach, while bypassing taunts) the other cards like Gang Up, Resurrect, Dragon`s breath aren`t bad, but far from comparable to the others.

2nd Wing: Imp Gang Boss(The best addition to any Zoo deck since god knows when), Druid of the Flame(Decent and that`s about it), Blackwing Technician(Used in most wannabe dragon decks that aren`t really working, atleast atm), Majordomo Executus(Arguably the worst Legendary in the entire game), Axe Flinger( Decent), Lava Shock(Great addition to most Shaman decks, but at the same time Shaman isn`t that great atm)

3rd Wing:  The only decent card in the entire wing is probably Dragon Consort for the Dragon Paladin decks, that`s not that great unfortunately.

4th Wing: Revenge(A good tech card as an improved whirlwind, though questionable), Flamewaker( An insanely strong card for so called Tempo Mage decks), Hungry Dragon and Dark Iron Skulker are great cards for arena and that`s about it.  Demonwrath and Fireguard Destroyer are good cards but in no way mandatory for the currently popular Warlock or Shaman decks. Chromaggus(A slow impact legendary card, mostly aimed for control(expensive) decks.)

5th Wing:  Well..... Nefarian "can" be insanely strong in a control deck. Volcanic Drake(Can be used as a "tempo" card after an aoe, but the fact it has only 4hp is not that great), Blackwing Corruptor, Drakonid Crusher, Dragonkin Sorcerer( all of these 4 cards seem like a part of a potential Dragon Deck, that aren`t that great, atleast atm), Solemn Vigil(Could be a great card draw for most paladin decks that aren`t aggro, if you are aggro just go with the Divine Favor)

Edited by Ottigan

I am sorry, I feel like I haven't made myself entirely clear. I intend to fully clear Blackrock before going on, I was mostly just curious about doing arena (GvG packs) versus buying Classic packs. I feel like Classic packs are better for new players, but I feel like arena has inherently more value than just buying packs.

Well, if you intend to clear BRM anyway then the choice comes to what kind of a deck would you like?  If it`s a Mech Mage then do arena until you get the needed cards for this list: http://imgur.com/i1O6hns

If you want any other deck, then go with the regular packs :)

I think it depends on how well you perform in Arena, as well as what your long-term goals are. If your goal is to eventually collect ALL the cards, then Arena may be your best choice since it is generally a more efficient use of your gold (assuming you win enough games). If you do win enough games, you can earn back all the gold you paid to enter and more. This extra gold can be split between more Arena runs and Classic packs if you wish.

If you are only focused on a short-term goal of getting to legend as quick as possible, then cards from Classic pack may be more helpful. However, if you are good enough to reach legend (a feat that requires great skill and not just great cards), then you are also good enough to dominate Arena, in which case you will accumulate gold and cards a lot faster in Arena. These cards can be dusted as you see fit to get the cards you want. 

So either way, Arena is probably the best route to take. Personally, I like to take a more long-term focus, so I would focus on Arena to increase my total card collection. I would also avoid dusting cards for a quick return unless they are gold cards or you have multiple copies.

Keep in mind that the daily quests can also be achieved while playing Arena, which may be a significant factor if you're strapped for time. Not only will playing Arena allow you to earn the awards specific to that mode (including gold, dust, and extra cards), you can earn the gold from your daily quests at the same time and thereby surpass Play Mode altogether, a mode that can be discouraging for those without an extensive card collection. Play Mode has no unique awards other than a card back for reaching Rank 20 each month. One drawback of this is that you may not always be able to select the hero in Arena that aligns with your quest(s), in which case you may need to resort to Play Mode to finish your quests anyway.

I personally love Arena! For pure enjoyment purposes, I would recommend you stick to Arena, although you may not enjoy it as much as I do.