FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Your World of Warcraft Noob Mistake!

Let's see if you guys have something funny to share about the mistakes you made when you first started playing WoW.

I'm usually a bit slow to pick things up in games, and in the same manner as it took me about a year of playing Counter-Strike (back in 2000) before noticing I could buy a second Flashbang, it took me about a year of end-game raiding to notice that Synapse Springs (the Engineering raiding perks) wasn't just another Hand enchant, but that it was something extra that you could apply to your Hand item, in addition to a more regular Hand enchant. So, for a year or so, I had no regular Hand enchant :P

As WOW was released, i played a little Gnome Warlock. It took me about six month since somebody told me, that i could release my demon without summoning a new one.

I picked up Inscription and Enchanting on my main, in wrath and cata both of these were expensive with little pay back. Especially since I didn't have herbalism it made it very costly, then enchanting made if hard to decide to sell an item or disenchant it.

Instead of doing Herbalism or Tailoring/Blacksmithing/Leatherworking with enchanting.

Theyre not noob mistakes!! Vendoring red gear because you didnt know that you could repiar is a noob mistake (one of my guildies not me ofc!)

• Like 2

Playing my priest as a melee class until level 50. It was fun though with the weapon from cookie and that cool mace from Zul'farrak. Only bad thing abut it is that it took me 4 months to get to level 55, but I didn't mind since I was having fun. After all, isn't that why we play games?

• Like 6

I made it to level 28 on my first Paladin without knowing what mana was and how to use it. I made it all the way to Hillsbrad Hills where a Druid told me to use a Seal and Judgment. The game got significantly easier than my previous method of eat to 100% HP, melee add to death, eat to 100% HP, melee add to death, etc.

TL;DR - made a Paladin as first toon, got to level 28 before using any mana.

• Like 3

Lol,

I remember being kicked from loads of early dungeons for letting my pet die and starting to melee everything in sight until I died an untimely death....

But it was fun

Gulfv

• Like 2

Billy (

) could easily be based on my character I made almost everything that videos show when i started playing. Luckily i'm not that bad now Edited by nicocba
  • Like 2

I began playing WoW back at release from years of playing EverQuest. If you didn't know, the skill system in EQ was simple: You spent money on skill points for a skill up to skill level 25 and then you trained the skill by using it. THis included one-handed weapons, two-handed weapons, etc.

Anyhow, I had played a cleric (healer) on EQ for about 6yrs and was worried about being stuck in the back healing one guy over and over, so I rolled a human Warrior. From some advice from a co-worker, I planned on leveling 'Arms' and promptly only purchased skills from the ARMS skill vendor.

It took me DAYS to kill anything as I autoattacked my one monster until I build up enough rage to use my one skill - Heroic Strike.

I finally hit level 15, emo'd and rerolled a Mage, only to find out about the talent tree and the difference between Fury/Arms/Protection.

I felt stupid for years.

• Like 1

I used to wand everything.

e v e r y t h i n g

send in pet, and wand.

wandwandwandwand

sure, that staff is nice. and that dagger looks nifty, but did you see the stats on that WAND!!!!

then one day in underbog, in my first real dungeon pug i get asked "why are you using your wand, throw a shadowbolt or something...anything...put away the wand...."

i still cringe at the thought of being that new.

Edited by Gravyspasm
  • Like 2

I remember my first dungeon me and a friend went to Black fathom deeps just me and him a hunter and a feral (cat) druid. We had no concept of a 5 man instance, just saw we had a few group quests in there. It took us 6 hours and I think we made it about halfway through iirc! (This was pretty much straight after WoW release in the US - my friend went to America for his holiday and brought 2 copies back to the UK) so there wasnt even anyone to ask for help!

• Like 1

Starting this game as a healing spec Priest pre-expansions. "Come along, it's a great game and we'll be here to help".... Holy crap it took me FOREVER to level to 60. And of course those who had me join the game were never on at the same time. I ended up joining an Aussie guild so I could at least go tag along for instances.

Never made me so happy to become a dps class.

Oh yeah - and before I grasped the concept of "Realms", I had a 17 Hunter as my 2nd toon. Then I figured out I wasn't on the same realm as my friends....

Edited by SkuulzonVelen
  • Like 2

My worst mistake. . . I would have to say donating a bunch of gems and materials to a "friend" so they could work their jewel crafting skill up to the max level. They then proceeded to stop playing that character as they didn't know what to do with one that is maxed out and started playing another one. . . basically wasted 1000's of gold worth of materials.

Remedy, got mad took my harvester and dropped herbalism and worked jewel crafting up to max over about six hours at level 88.

• Like 1

The girlfriend loves to remind everyone of this little noob gem. I leveled all the way to 300 herbalism without knowing about the find herb system. I could eye ball goldthorn briarthorn mageroyal from 100 yards away.

I have heard of people not knowing they could take spells out of there spell book and place on the task bar, so these individuals played from the spell book..... Could you imagine having to turn pages to find the spell you were looking for.

• Like 2

As a first time player rolling a rogue, it took until level 12 to realize that I had abilities to use and I didn't have to just sit there and auto-attack things.

And then later, (level 60 later) I learned that food was actually useful and not just stuff I could sell for gold. >.> I used to kill a monster, stealth, and wait for my health to go back to full. Took me a full year to get to level 70. xD

• Like 2

I was a long way into Outland when finally one day my BF had the time to come help me with some quest.

"OK, lets mount up" he said and started to fly. "Wait, wait! I cant fly from here" He stared at me startled as I climbed a tree and took off from a branch. No one told me that hitting space would make me lift off the ground.....

• Like 9

was lvl 40 before I ran in a group through a dungeon. I'd wander into them occasionally while questing and promptly die, thinking I'd go back later and kick ALL their butts! I finally solo'd Ragefire @ lvl 45. I wore Int. gear on a hunter, didn't know it had nothing for me. My hunter is now lvl 86, I have a lvl 85 rogue and a few other toons I'm working on and I still make noob mistakes.

I remember my first dungeon me and a friend went to Black fathom deeps just me and him a hunter and a feral (cat) druid. We had no concept of a 5 man instance, just saw we had a few group quests in there. It took us 6 hours and I think we made it about halfway through iirc! (This was pretty much straight after WoW release in the US - my friend went to America for his holiday and brought 2 copies back to the UK) so there wasnt even anyone to ask for help!

I died solo in BFD several times.

I played 2 months before I even knew there was a way to change your keybinds.. and looted everything that looked cool on my dwarf hunter.. : D

I played for a couple weeks got to about level 25 and then quit. A year and a half later I was scroll of resurrected by a friend, but there was problems with my character. I called blizzard and was on line with a representative, he said he could help me I just needed to go get all my mail out of the mailbox and he could fix it. I didn't know how to find a mail box. I ran around looking for a mailbox for a good 5 minutes, while on line with a representative. I eventually started asking in trade chat and of course no one helped me. After a while I heard the representative laughing at me and he said that I was definitely the first person who made finding a mailbox the most difficult part of the game.

• Like 2

I do equip some INTELLECT plate gear on my protection paladin (to balance the stats and heal myself ) and spend my talent point on all spec talent tree ( back to WoTLK where you can choose any talent you wish to learn)

When I first started playing WoW I had no idea where to check my mail at. I would see the mail icon and not understand why I wasn't seeing the messages (I was under the assumption they came through like a text message) so I opened a ticket with a GM in game one night and was like "Hey I'm sorry I'm new and pretty dumb, how do I...." lol. I felt sooooo stupid after the GM told me what to do and what to look for Posted ImageTOTAL n00b mistake lol. Edited by calicomau5

Not a huge noob mistake and shared by others im sure...Going into and instance or raid after fishing and still having the fishing pole equipped and wondering why your doing crap DPS...Hey like I said i aint the only one....LOL

• Like 1