FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
durdyenglish

Fistweaver DPS

I am looking to build a viable option as a mistweaver that focuses on DPS and is an off-healer as a byproduct. Which stats should I focus on to do the most damage as possible?

what content do you plan on doing? normals? heroics? mythics? none of these??

the mistweaver atm requires knowing when is best to fistweave and when is best to not. if you plan on being in crane-stance 100% of the time you should probably think about another class as 100% crane stance will mean a wasted raid spot - you'll not be doing enough healing to be an 'offhealer' and the fistweaving dps output is quite low (far below equally geared tanks).

what content do you plan on doing? normals? heroics? mythics? none of these??

the mistweaver atm requires knowing when is best to fistweave and when is best to not. if you plan on being in crane-stance 100% of the time you should probably think about another class as 100% crane stance will mean a wasted raid spot - you'll not be doing enough healing to be an 'offhealer' and the fistweaving dps output is quite low (far below equally geared tanks).

How about, as much dps as an equally geared tank, and not gimping your hps much.  Logs here.  As you can see, I was only slightly behind the tanks in dps, but still competitive in healing (dependent on healing comp).  If you have a disc priest and a pally or two, then the absorbs are going to gimp your healing on low damage fights (which is the ones you will be fistweaving on anyways)

The only fights where it's not worth fistweaving the entire time are Kromog (mistweave the entire fight), Maidens (fistweave to 20%, then mistweave), Blast Furnace (fistweave p1, mistweave p2/3), and Blackhand (mistweave the entire fight).  You can fistweave the entire time on Oregorger, but I prefer to mistweave during the rolling phases.

With current tier bonus and talent/ability set up fistweaving is not generally accepted as a full time core raid spot spec. However, as of 6.2 the ability revamp matched with the tier bonus I believe smart and talented players will be able to maximize fistweaving the same way Disc priests did with atonement healing at the end of MOP. Something to keep in mind is that 50% of fistweaving damage makes up the core of its healing and damage totals are not high enough until later raid tiers to make it viable. Fistweavers have basically sidestepped the changes other than the multistrike change (which basically evens out) and have some interesting tier 18 bonuses. Unlike tier 17 which had no added bonus to fistweaving tier 18 does, firstly the two piece has a 6% increase in damage the target receives from our abilities after using rising sun kick. This will be a flat increase to both dps and hps. Where it gets interesting is when we get to the four piece tier bonus as this will give a 45% to apply a renewing mist with each cast of rising sun kick. This means with a focus on rotation you could have constant rolling renewing mists without the mana cost of doing so. This is HUGE. It would be wise then to cast chi explosion at 3 chi or take Pool of Mists as your level 100 talent so to have constant rotation of rising sun kicks and only use blackout kick to keep the buff up. Something of note also is that with the changes to off hand mechanics with fistweaever spec it will be more effective to use a staff moving forward. Until 4 piece bonus is achieved it will be hard to real time game the mechanics to see if chi explosion at 3 chi is better than rising sun kick on cd. Hope these thoughts help, cheers!

Unlike tier 17 which had no added bonus to fistweaving

Really, the extra Chi from a 5 stack Surging does nothing (current 2pc)?  Or the 2 Chi form each TFT is nothing (current 4pc)?  The extra Chi generation helps greatly for fistweaving, allowing us to easily get more RSKs and BoKs in to keep up the buffs/debuff up.

I'd also like to know where you're coming form saying that a MW monk fistweaving on certain fights and/or certain phases isn't worth it's spot as a core raid spot.  A good mistweaver knows when to fistweave and when not to, and finding that balance makes you all the better.  Being able to bring a decent amount of dps while still providing a good amount of smart healing is a very powerful ability.

Great thoughts Orthios, and I do not mean to start an argument. My point is if you are looking to ONLY fistweave that pre 6.2 it wouldnt be possible whereas with the changes and increase in damage fistweaving post 6.2 may be a full time raid viable spec. Meant no disrespect to those hard working multi tasking monk healers out there. In regards to the tier comment, my intent was to communicate the direct added bonuses with tier 18 versus the more passive bonus of tier 17. In tier 17 it almost feels like its more us making it work for us while in tier 18 its an obvious in your face "blizzard is throwing fistweavers a bone of validity" type of bonus.