FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
VonSoot

Prog HBRF BH Tanking Help!

So here I am again, déjà vu, in progression raiding as Blood DK tank, dozens of wipes on a boss, and raid leader wants to swap me for a paladin... Happened to me in last 2 expansions. Is it really me, or the class? Below is my armory and logs on HBRF Blackhand. Please help!

692 Dwarf DK (ignore the u enchanted neck, just got it)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Otus/simple

Logs from 3 hours of Blackhand wipes...

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bKAY7tMHWGnQj8xB#fight=4&start=2413885&end=2871877

I am MTing the raid so I am tanking the boss p2 and eating 3rd siege tank marks up to 4 siege tanks. Sometimes up to 4 mark dots. P3 I am eating the bombs and moving the boss.

I've been focusing on survivability and have not tried a BoS build as I understand it sacrifices a lot of mitigation, something I am getting criticized on. So do I just give up on Dk tanking? Stick it out? This sucks...

First to adress what you write in the post: 4 stacks of the p2 dot are pretty lethal. It is hard to keep even a well geared tank alive. Getting 4 stacks probably means that your team is killing the engine too fast, not entirely your fault.

Now for the logs themselves:

1. Use armor potions, they can help tremendously with both survivability and damage.

2. You seem to overlap CDs quite a bit - it makes you very sturdy at times, but then very exposed at other times you have no CD left. E.g. for first Shattering Shash at 00:23 you used IBF, RT and AMS, somewhat an overkill. RT + AMS are enough for the hit and then for landing on the edge. The second Smash at 01:30 must have caught you off-guard because you had only AMS up and it was paired with the falling. That IBF was needed from 02:39 when Impale was ticking, but you had no CD up. And so on.

3. Defile is also a defensive CD of sorts. During 7 minutes fight it can be cast up to 14 times, but you had only 6. Yes, the boss keeps moving, but you are in charge of kiting as the MT, so you can precast it at a good spot.

4. Nice use of BT,so refreshing to see somebody using it outside of DC/BT macro :)

5. Get rid of Plaguebearer, it is completely useless for tanking - BB does the exact same thing and does not cost you a talent. Pick PL instead and use it on CD. The free DS come in handy. To reapply diseases use Glyph of Outbreak (instead of Chains of Ice - CoI is not a part of your regular PvE blood rotation).

6. Mastery is better for survival than Multistrike. You might want to reflect it in gems, enchants and food.

TL:DR

Plan your CD use in advance. Do not overlap CDs - if you must, do it as little as possible. Use potions: armor pot + shieldotronic shield before pull, armor pots and tonics / HS during fight. Keep it chill: BH is a predictable fight and you are in charge most of the time.

Good tips! I've chatted in IRC some as well w/ Magdelena and Troxism. Seems when they looked at my logs, majority of issues weren't mine, I.e. getting 2 healer CDs during the entire fight, DK instead of Monk staggering off the MoDs.

Great tips on shieldtronic and armor pots, I'll probably start using the fire/lil ragnaros AMS Rune charge tip as well to maximize.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this