Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

hearthstone Tavern Brawl is Hearthstone's New Play Mode

4 posts in this topic

The new game play mode coming to Hearthstone's fourth interface button is Tavern Brawl - a game play mode that will use unique week-to-week rule sets! Brawls can be played via the standard feature, or with Nearby Players or Friends. Also - individual decks can now have separate card backs, and two more new Heroes are teased!

Here is the official announcement:

There’s a rumbling behind the doors of the Tavern. Hearthstone’s latest patch is coming soon and it introduces some big changes and features, so let’s throw open the doors and find out what’s next on tap!

Introducing Tavern Brawl!

Tavern Brawl is a new way to play Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft!

Each week, a different Tavern Brawl will pit you head to head versus another player using exciting and unique rules. One week might feature preset decks, while another week could have you crafting a brand new Tavern Brawl deck following specific guidelines, while others might offer buffs to specific minion types—who knows!

Tavern Brawl can be found below the Play, Solo Adventures, and the Arena buttons on the main Hearthstone screen. You may have to toughen up before entering the fray—Tavern Brawl is unlocked once a player has a level 20 Hero. 

The possibilities for fun inside Tavern Brawl are endless— the only thing you should expect is the unexpected!

Brawl with Buddies

While it’s fun to get into Tavern Brawls with strangers, it’s also a blast to brawl with your buddies! To start a Tavern Brawl with a friend, enter the Tavern Brawl menu, open your Friends List, and push the ‘Challenge’ button next to your friend’s name. After they accept, press the Brawl Friend button and let the battle begin!

The first playable Tavern Brawl arrives in Mid-June, so get ready to pile on and knock some heads together. Brawls get plenty rowdy, so the Innkeeper will definitely need a couple of days after each one ends to get the inn all tidied up before the next brawl begins. That means Tavern Brawls are temporarily closed while the Innkeeper cleans up before a new, different brawl starts—so be sure to get a match or two in while you can! Stay up to date on when the next Tavern Brawl begins by keeping an eye on the official Hearthstone Twitter and Facebook.

Tavern Brawls will have free admission when the new mode becomes available. As part of the launch celebration, you'll earn a free card pack when you win your first game of the week in the first several brawls!

New Challengers Appear

New Heroes put a fresh face on the classes you know and love. Each new Hero takes an iconic personage from Warcraft history and brings them to the inn. These Heroes feature animated portraits, a unique animated version of their Hero Power, personalized game board artwork, all new emotes, special match start animations, and a custom-themed card back.

These Heroes will be available for purchase using real money in the Heroes section of the in-game shop.

Magni Bronzebeard, King of Khaz Modan and Thane of Ironforge, is the new Warrior Hero. This noble dwarf will bring the hammer down upon his foes! He’s not the only new face coming to the tavern, and there are more heroes yet to come:

5GBET5XDUWIV1433788059858.png OSH8JXDMLYCW1433788059858.png

Keep in mind that new Heroes do not add new cards to your collection, change the classes’ Hero Power, and are not considered new classes. 

Customize Your Decks

Customize each of your decks like never before by assigning each one its own card back! Your card back collection has been moved to the Collection Manager. Selecting a card back will give you a closer look at it and allow you to set it as your favorite, making it your default card back for all decks.

If you want to assign a different card back to one of your decks, just open the deck you want to assign the card back to, select the card back tab in your Collection Manager, then drag your card back into the waiting card back slot.

Your new Heroes work the exact same way! Just go to the Heroes tab to see all the Heroes you’ve collected. Select a Hero and set them as a favorite, which will assign them to every deck you play with that class. You can also pick and choose Heroes for specific decks, so if a new Hero has joined your collection, you don’t have to leave an old favorite out in the cold.

Each deck in your collection can be assigned a unique card back and Hero.

Let the Games Begin!

We hope you enjoy all the new features coming with Patch 2.7. Be sure to get into a Tavern Brawl, add a new Hero to your roster, and have fun picking a different card back for each of your decks.

We’ll see you at the inn! 

What do you think of Tavern Brawls? Who could the new Heroes be?

Update: Zeriyah confirms no new card content coming with Tavern Brawls:

Update 2: Whirthun says Tavern Brawls will award Classic card packs:

You can also Brawl an unlimited number of times during a given Brawl period!

All new play mode, per-deck card backs, and more new Heroes teased?!

I'm a bit disappointed that it's not a standard Tournament functionality, but this Brawl idea could be fun. I'll have to try it out before I can really say. I wonder if there are unique awards for winning a Tavern Brawl, much like we receive awards for winning in Arena. Getting free packs for the first several weeks is nice, but if that doesn't continue I may lose interest. Arena is my preferred play mode right now since I'm still trying to grow my card collection, and the rewards are great for that!

Hopefully we'll still see a Tournament Mode someday...

tournament modes is a bad idea, there's no need for such a thing, just challenge ur friend and set the rules with him

Tavern Brawl, a new game mode is just what hearthstone needed, I don't like playing arena as it takes a lot time and effort. It's also the only thing u can do if u don't want to spend money on packs which sucks.

tournament modes is a bad idea, there's no need for such a thing, just challenge ur friend and set the rules with him

Tavern Brawl, a new game mode is just what hearthstone needed, I don't like playing arena as it takes a lot time and effort. It's also the only thing u can do if u don't want to spend money on packs which sucks.

Challenging your friend cannot compare to the complexity of running a full-scale tournament. Even a tournament between 8 friends, a small amount by tournament standards, would be greatly enhanced if you could administer it directly through the client. Having a tournament mode functionality built into the game would be great for the Hearthstone community, and I'm definitely not the only one who thinks so. I still think it will happen someday because of the large demand for it. 

Wanting a tournament mode, however, does not mean I'm not excited for Tavern Brawl. This could be really fun and I'm looking forward to trying it. Of course, I won't be able to develop an opinion on it until I try it out. I feel it's important to give well thought-out and informed opinions.

Fransoa, I'm glad that you pointed out that Tavern Brawl has no admission fee, thus distinguishing it from Arena. This is an important feature that many will appreciate. It's not the only option, of course, as Casual and Ranked play are also free admission, but it will be nice to have another option.