FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Rivinhal

Sin Rogue Spec/Glyphs for Leveling?

Hey guys.

I have a question regarding leveling builds...

Basically I'm currently leveling a Sin Rogue (lvl 93) and I'm currently using the suggested IV leveling build (http://www.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#Kl0KlyKlzbEDPcWLLBAcuR), but I don't quite understand the reasoning behind some of the talents and glyphs in the leveling build. I've certainly used other builds/varients in my time leveling, but since I'm really in "crunch time" now, I'd really like to make the most of my efforts.

I sort of feel like the build could be changed for the better (my build would be quite different lol), and I know the page even says that the build isn't set in stone, but I'm not a pro Rogue player by a longshot, so I get the feeling the person(s) who made the build knows things that I don't, and there is some method to the madness that I'm not comprehending.

So my question, in a nutshell, is this:

What are the reasons behind the talents and glyphs in the leveling build?

Is there a better leveling build?

Does it even really matter that much?

Sorry for the long exposition before the question, but any help here would be appreciated guys.

I'd advise Shadow Focus, Combat Readiness, Leeching, Burst of Speed, and Internal Bleeding.

The only really necessary ones imo are Leeching and BoS - Leeching is great, and BoS lets you stealth through caves and such in search of objectives and ignoring all mobs much more quickly

But no, it really doesn't matter that much

I'd advise Shadow Focus, Combat Readiness, Leeching, Burst of Speed, and Internal Bleeding.

The only really necessary ones imo are Leeching and BoS - Leeching is great, and BoS lets you stealth through caves and such in search of objectives and ignoring all mobs much more quickly

But no, it really doesn't matter that much

What would you recommend for the lvl 90 talent? I've been wanting to go with Shuriken tbh, since most creatures don't survive past my stealth cooldown lol, so the other two are kinda pointless atm, whereas atleast shuriken allows me to do ranged pulls from a certain distance (if I'm understanding it correctly). But I've been using Anticipation since it's the recommended with that build. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, so far, my "ideal" leveling build and your recommendations are all the same except for one thing: BoS. I have shadowstep listed, simply because it lets me port between trash mobs on quests (plus it was recommended...) But I see now that BoS is probably better for leveling since it'd greatly increase my ability to move between mobs. Shadowstep works well, but a 3 sec cooldown is nothing to scoff at. 

I guess other than the lvl 90 talent info, I just would like to know what you guys think about "leveling glyphs". I'm guessing Vendetta's glyph is going to always be on lol, but I don't really know what to do with the others. Right now I just have the recommended lvl 100 list of Vendetta, Disappearance, and Cloak of Shadows.

I'm guessing that glyphs have even less of an impact on leveling than talents, but I figure they're worth asking about.

Thanks for the help guys!

Anticipation is definitely the way to go for Assassination. Shuriken Toss offers nothing good whatsoever.

Glyphs for DPS will be Vendetta, Disappearance, and Energy, but for levelling I take off Disappearance 

Anticipation is definitely the way to go for Assassination. Shuriken Toss offers nothing good whatsoever.

Glyphs for DPS will be Vendetta, Disappearance, and Energy, but for levelling I take off Disappearance 

No I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying (though I could be wrong).

Right now, I'm killing nearly everything without ever stacking 5 combo points on it (or if I do, the creature is REALLY close to death lol), so I often don't get any anticipation points...

Most stuff dies before my 6 sec stealth cooldown lol, so (at this point atleast) feels like a wasted talent since it has no real effect. I was considering Shuriken Toss simply because it was the only talent of the 3 that would give me any actual ability (the ability to pull from 30 yards)

Obviously once I hit max level, I'd probably go for either Anticipation or Marked for Death, because at a higher level where I'm not fighting trash mobs constantly, I might be able to make use of them. But I haven't been able to so far with mobs I can kill with my basic rotation.

What do you think about that idea? Or do you still say stick with Anticipation (and that I'm probably doing something wrong lol).

Also, when you drop disappearance, what do you replace it with? Also how do you feel about Energy vs Cloak of Shadows?

Lol sorry for all the questions, but I've been confused about this stuff for a while...

Edited by Rivinhal

For levelling you can replace Glyph of Disappearance with Stealth, in order to restealth right after killing something. 

But yes, I would stick with Anticipation. Just for when you fight rares and such, but also because Shuriken Toss is literally useless. MfD isn't terrible at all, it's just not good to get used to playing with it because it's really not very good for Assassination 

I'd say swap Vendetta for Stealth and keep Disappearance. You won't be using Vendetta as much as Vanish, IMO.

Idk. Honestly I feel like I use vendetta way more than disappearance lol. But that's mainly because I have enhanced vendetta, and I'd rather get a free crit mutilate/envenom than to get a free garrote/ambush. I mean I use both of course, but I tend to use one more than the other.

I was running with Vendetta, Cloak of Shadows, and Disappearance (that way I didn't have to choose) and I just kinda dealt with the extended stealth time... But right this second I'm running Vendetta, CoS, and Stealth, and while I love the 2 sec stealth, it doesn't feel like it's that big of a deal to me. It's convenient, but it's not particularly useful or anything really. At the point I'm at right now, it takes me probably 4~ secs to kill most mobs anyhow, so by the time I'm done I wait two seconds, and then I can stealth anyways...

But once again, I'm guessing that I'm probably missing the big picture somewhere. I mean I understand that I need stealth to be up if I need to pop vanish, but I feel like if I'm in such a dire situation that I can't wait 2-4 seconds, I'm probably beyond saving anyhow. But I don't seem to get in situations like that.

Idk. It's kinda funny though. I understand I'm not making this glyph thing easy, simply because I have my own thoughts about what feels right, but it's also humorous because now there are 3 opinions on the table and they all differ rather dramatically from one another. The only thing the two of you agree on is the one thing I disagree on really. (Stealth) That's humorous.

If you guys could, instead of just telling me what to use with very brief explanations, could you explain in detail as to why I should use that? I just want to know the reasoning behind it. Because obviously I'm doing something either wrong, or vastly different, which either way is probably not a good thing. Like you guys both want me to use stealth, why should I be using stealth? What's the subtext there? There's gotta be something that I'm missing.

Sorry to be such a hassle and make this all so complicated, but all these recommendations seem to fly in the face of what my common sense tells me to choose lol. I just want to know why my common sense is an idiot. Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Rivinhal

Getting ganked in world PvP, not using Disappearance will save your life many times.

Cloak + Vanish + /lol + walk calmly away

In any case, the general idea is that levelling doesn't matter much. 

Play it the way you're comfortable / used to playing it, and sort out the whole raiding thing if and when you get there :D

In any case, the general idea is that levelling doesn't matter much. 

Play it the way you're comfortable / used to playing it, and sort out the whole raiding thing if and when you get there biggrin.png

Lol fair enough. I just hate feeling like I'm out of the loop you know? I know there's still quite a lot I need to learn about playing a Rogue, so I figure every bit helps. Thanks for the assistance though...

Take my word with a grain of salt, I PvE with PvP gear, so the set bonuses apply to me lol (4pc Vanish gives Cold Blood effect - same as Vendetta - and auto 5CP)

Lol fair enough. I just hate feeling like I'm out of the loop you know? I know there's still quite a lot I need to learn about playing a Rogue, so I figure every bit helps. Thanks for the assistance though...

Yeah for sure :)

If you'd like more help or have questions, you can either hang around the forums here, PM me, find me online on US-Boulderfist, message me on Twitch, or add me on BattleTag (message me here so I can give you my info if you decide to take this route haha)

Always happy to help :D

Yeah for sure :)

If you'd like more help or have questions, you can either hang around the forums here, PM me, find me online on US-Boulderfist, message me on Twitch, or add me on BattleTag (message me here so I can give you my info if you decide to take this route haha)

Always happy to help :D

Oy, hottie - gimme your tag.