FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Niix

6.2 Log Analysis Requests / Help my DPS Thread

Butcher (first log):

• How is he doing 22k at 669?????.. 672 but yeah... thats why we're asking for an idea or 10!
  • Focusing Shot??? No, Marksman uses LW.  There's too many nuances to MM that makes FS hard enough to min/max that LW's simplicity easily surpasses it... Then I spend half my time waiting for focus to mount up.. LW is not for me
  • 22/30 Chimaera Shot casts.  He lost ~400k damage here, or ~1500 dps.
  • 418 Focus wasted from Focusing Shot.  Wasting this much focus shows that he clearly isn't using it properly.  For MM, he shouldn't be using it anywhere above 65 focus.... point taken and being worked on.
  • He's not double casting Kill Shot half of the time... again.. I am now
  • He should be using TotH, not Dire Beast.. changed.
  • He delayed AMoC enough between casts to lose the full potential of the 5th cast.. I was probably sat waiting for focus :/

Butcher (second log):

• 21/29 Chimaera Shot casts.
  • Dire Beast?????????? No, only BM uses Dire Beast.  SV and MM use TotH.  He's not even using all posible DB's, 8/9.
  • Again, delaying AMoC casts.
  • What is he using Counter Shot for???? There's nothing to interrupt on butcher... no idea.. maybe hit by accident.
  • This time he wasted 602 Focus.  He's double casting Focusing Shot.  You NEVER double cast FS.  At one point he even triple cast it.  He literally wasted 1/4th of the focus he "gained". if everything else is on CD and focus is low.. why not double cast FS? it adds 50 and I have up to 120 so it gets used.

Does he have any way of tracking his current focus?  Or the cd of CS for that matter?... no, other than just watching the bar which isnt difficult really.

Sims are saying 28k Max so is the 24k I hit with the last raid really that bad??  

I'm totally at a loss as to what to change to improve matters mainly because everything just makes it worse. I was asked to try BM and dps dropped to 14k.. even my experienced other half couldn't improve on that. 

I assume you are replying to me, but without the quote it was a bit difficult to tell at first.  Regarding the counter shot comment, you cast it 10 times during the fight, almost on cd - This cost you a GCD in which you effectively did nothing.  If you are focus starved with LW then you are likely playing LW wrong.  With LW you play much more conservatively than you do with FS, meaning you don't cast Aimed Shot as often and you want to hover between 65-80 focus, so that you have the focus for Chimaera Shot if you get a TotH proc with ~2s left on CS's cd.  I did a full flowchart on Marksman's rotation back in november (though I don't expect anyone to go back and necro it), but MM's rotation hasn't changed at all.  I'll post it again here:

Ok, so what I've drawn up so far is as follows:

Normal Rotation:

qwC2Bl2.jpg

Rotation During Careful Aim:

E2jkf00.jpg

As you can tell, I didn't change much from Atrais' original flowcharts, but I did add some detail depending on focus costs/how much focus you have when the decisions are being made, which is for every time you have a choice on what to do.  This seems a bit daunting and complex at first, but it really isn't.  This is simply a priority list of what to do that takes into account focus costs.  This kind of decision making comes with practice, as this is roughly what I follow in deciding what ability I am going to next use as I play my hunter.  Now I really wish master marksman procs weren't taken away though........ We literally have no spec-specific procs to react to which makes for a kinda dull rotation, but the change to Rapid Fire and Careful Aim does add a bit of variability.

Also, double casting FS doesn't give you 100 focus like you assume, as you are forgetting about your passive focus regeneration.  This amounts to 70 focus gained per FS cast - 50 + (2.5/(1+haste%) * (4*(1+haste%)).  This second term will always equal 20, since the (1+haste%) cancels out.  

Regarding the focus bar, do you have some sort of number on it that shows exactly how much focus you have?  I'd like to see what your UI looks like as well (in a raid setting preferably).  ElvUI works wonders on its own, and JSHB works well by tracking your focus and your cds (just don't hide your action bars, you won't see when KS is available).  

And lastly, remember your ABC's: Always Be Casting.

• Like 1

Hi guys I started playing a hunter in WoD I think i am starting to get the hang of it, but getting an opinion from more experienced players is always good so here are some logs from the fights I care about, what do you think?

Grull

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Hwy1rh28FBY6qJvn#fight=9&type=damage-done&source=35

Kromog

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PCdNF4137fJGBhkK#fight=8&type=damage-done&source=46

Flamebender

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Hwy1rh28FBY6qJvn#fight=24&type=damage-done&source=35

I assume you are replying to me, but without the quote it was a bit difficult to tell at first.  Regarding the counter shot comment, you cast it 10 times during the fight, almost on cd - This cost you a GCD in which you effectively did nothing.  If you are focus starved with LW then you are likely playing LW wrong.  With LW you play much more conservatively than you do with FS, meaning you don't cast Aimed Shot as often and you want to hover between 65-80 focus, so that you have the focus for Chimaera Shot if you get a TotH proc with ~2s left on CS's cd.  I did a full flowchart on Marksman's rotation back in november (though I don't expect anyone to go back and necro it), but MM's rotation hasn't changed at all.  I'll post it again here:

Also, double casting FS doesn't give you 100 focus like you assume, as you are forgetting about your passive focus regeneration.  This amounts to 70 focus gained per FS cast - 50 + (2.5/(1+haste%) * (4*(1+haste%)).  This second term will always equal 20, since the (1+haste%) cancels out.  

Regarding the focus bar, do you have some sort of number on it that shows exactly how much focus you have? .. yes, it is just under my health bar where your mana or balance bar would be on other classes. I'd like to see what your UI looks like as well (in a raid setting preferably).  ElvUI works wonders on its own, and JSHB works well by tracking your focus and your cds (just don't hide your action bars, you won't see when KS is available).  I just have the standard WoW one.. I have nothing exciting going on in screen and have added an extra bar with my rotation on because I am prone to disappearing buttons mid-fight so I can easily retrieve this way.. its not ideal but it works for me.

And lastly, remember your ABC's: Always Be Casting. .. I am this is what is so frustrating.. :/ 

The charts look interesting I shall go study them in detail, I do use glaive rather than barrage though to avoid annoying raids by breaking CC and causing trash wipes and yes I used to do it frequently, I think I had bit of a LFR reputation for it! .. thank you,

I also need Blizz to fix the trap launcher, mine drops traps at my feet 9 times out of 10.. not very helpful. I did open a ticket and was told it will be looked at. I broke WoW :(  

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/afPJjg1N4bDh6ZnF/#view=rankings&fight=5

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Namine%C3%A9/simple

I think that I have down the basics really well and can pull good dps on most fights. 30k+

Now what do I do at this point to start pulling higher numbers in the rankings and getting to 90th percentile.

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/afPJjg1N4bDh6ZnF/#view=rankings&fight=5

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Namine%C3%A9/simple

I think that I have down the basics really well and can pull good dps on most fights. 30k+

Now what do I do at this point to start pulling higher numbers in the rankings and getting to 90th percentile.

yyTpL9j.png

CPM is a tad low.

KUThXF3.png

Fairly low uptime on Serpent Sting and Black Arrow. Try and get that higher.

aQ2lfeQ.png

This is one of your Balanced Fate procs in the middle of the fight. Good job on using the proper rotation.

1uD5E98.png

Change your opener around slightly.

Do Murder right away, Explosive Shot, Black Arrow then Arcane Shot.

SUBnEAu.png

Waste a bit of focus, try to improve that a bit.

j3Lc23O.png

Try and cast more Explosive Traps to fill rotational luls.

yyTpL9j.png

CPM is a tad low.

KUThXF3.png

Fairly low uptime on Serpent Sting and Black Arrow. Try and get that higher.

aQ2lfeQ.png

This is one of your Balanced Fate procs in the middle of the fight. Good job on using the proper rotation.

1uD5E98.png

Change your opener around slightly.

Do Murder right away, Explosive Shot, Black Arrow then Arcane Shot.

SUBnEAu.png

Waste a bit of focus, try to improve that a bit.

j3Lc23O.png

Try and cast more Explosive Traps to fill rotational luls.

So what type of percentage uptimes should I be looking for with my black arrow and my serpent sting? Also for my CPM what would be my target number for that as well?

Thank you for the advice so far.

So what type of percentage uptimes should I be looking for with my black arrow and my serpent sting? Also for my CPM what would be my target number for that as well?

Thank you for the advice so far.

97% minimum for SS.

80% minimum for BA.

60+ CPM.

Here is a few logs i feel like ive definitely picked up my SV game but need some fine tuning.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/z9tahCkW7nZT2V3j#view=rankings&boss=-2&wipes=2

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/2688368/latest#boss=0

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Xerinn/simple

so latest update from last post, im now using 4 pc, 665 helmet 680 shoulders 680 gloves and 680 chest.

I also looted a trinket from kromog and not really sure how to use it properly. any advice would be helpful.

So, I guess I'll start the first of many "Halp my BM DPS sux"-requests. As I've never played BM before I need to learn what to look for to further improve myself. Here is my Gruul fight from yestereday(I know the second pot was used retardedly smile.png). Maybe we can look at one of my other fights at a new post or others will share theirs. 

680 ilvl

4piece

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bch4G9twMkBvq3Z8#fight=9&type=damage-done&source=7

Hope people will learn something from the breakdown of my dps.

Edited by Msa

Hello everyone! Awesome Thread!

So I haven't done much Theorycrafting in a long while. So I'm fairly rusty and on noob status right now. I'd like to get back into the swing of things, but need a jump start.

A bit of analysis on my logs from you pro's would really help get me moving in the right direction. Especially since this will help me get a better understanding of what I'm doing wrong.

Here is my Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Toxicus/advanced

Here is our latest log - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vpW6XC9HK81Ym2ZF

My DPS just feels so lacking in comparison to what I've heard of other hunters doing. I know I'm likely doing tons of things wrong.

Help a fellow hunter better himself plz?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance :)

Hello everyone! Awesome Thread!

So I haven't done much Theorycrafting in a long while. So I'm fairly rusty and on noob status right now. I'd like to get back into the swing of things, but need a jump start.

A bit of analysis on my logs from you pro's would really help get me moving in the right direction. Especially since this will help me get a better understanding of what I'm doing wrong.

Here is my Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Toxicus/advanced

Here is our latest log - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vpW6XC9HK81Ym2ZF

My DPS just feels so lacking in comparison to what I've heard of other hunters doing. I know I'm likely doing tons of things wrong.

Help a fellow hunter better himself plz?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance smile.png

Allthough I'm not one of the big guys here, I've done some log-digging on SV, so I'll give it a go. Sorry in advance for my bad english (Norwegian).

For a single-target patchwerk fight of 348 seconds you are simulated to do around: 32460.0 DPS

1. Your uptime on Serpent Sting should be 98%-ish, remember to always keep this up (96.68% in your case)

2. Seems like you missed atleast one Black Arrow ((Fight duration/24s)+1). Anyone correct me here if im wrong. Also your uptime should be around 77% comapred to your 74.6%

3. Looks like your second pot only lastet for 4 seconds. Seems like you tried to combine it with your Warlords-trinket (might have been a coincidence?), but still I have no idea why it is so short duration on that pot. Seems like you cancelled it.

4. You overcapped your focus once and wasted 8 focus. Never use FS >40 focus.

5. You are spending way too much time getting rid of your Lock'n'Load-proccs which seems to cause you acutally loose a significant amount of ES. Remember to dump these as fast as you can. 

6. As far as I can see, your opener looks OK, but should do arcane shot before Black arrow to apply Serpent Sting. Check the pinned guide.  

7. You cast a totalt of 12 explosive traps during the fight, which considering the nerf to trap CD just sounds way too much. I suspect you are trying to fill in your rotation, but are missing and delaying more important casts. 

Lastly, remember that if your multistrike is >75% you should prio arcane shots over explosive shots. 

Disclaimer: As mentioned in the start I am no log god like Orthios, but just trying to help out. Let me know if I need any corrections smile.png GL
Edited by Msa

Hey Msa, Thanks for the response :) I will respond to your comments in the same format.

1 - I guess I must be missing it. I have JSHB, but I guess I'm not paying as much attention to it as I would like to think. Note to self, pay more attention to SS. Thanks for letting me know.

2 - As for the missed Black Arrow, thats weird. Unless it came off of CD when I had TotH procs? I am not 100% fluent in the usage and translation of WCL yet. I'm sure there is somewhere in there that would tell me this.

3 - I have NO idea why that 2nd pot was cut short? I am positive I didn't end it myself, as that would just be a stupid move.

4 - Thanks for the number to look out for. I didn't know if there was a "Don't cast FS over this" or not. So I was typically casting it anytime I was around 50'ish focus or less.

5 - I don't know what's causing the lack of LNL proc usage. Whether its just bad rotation prioritization or if there are other factors. For instance, I won't touch LNL if I have TotH procs, or if my focus is too low to cast TotH procs I delay using LNL to cast FS, or if say Stampede and my Trinket are off CD at similar times so I can line up their usage. Other than that I guess I have minimized the priority (on my own) of LNL procs. I'll take a double take at the priority list again and reacquaint myself with it.

6 - 10-4. My key bindings are set up so my most used abilities are between 3 and 5 on my keyboard. So AS, ES, CS are on 3/4/5. 1 & 2 are Stampede/BA. I guess I had just been tossing BA first since it just went chronologically. I'll adjust to cast AS 1st. Thanks for the info :)

7 - I had read somewhere that integrating E-Trap into your rotation was a DPS gain. I typically line it up when casting FS, but at times this happens when ES or BA is off CD so they are delayed a GCD before cast. Again, this seems to be my lacking precise knowledge of the priority list. I'll read up on that and fix it.

As for my Multi.. I've had crap luck on getting much other loot with Multi on it. I'm running low on funds so buying a LWer piece and all the upgrades is currently out of the question for me unfortunately. So I have to go with what I get in raid. I have been eating the Calamari Crepes (Going to be switching to the 125 food now) instead of using the Feast, so that helps some. Other than that, I'm at the mercy of RNGeezus for better itemized loot drops.

Any other hints/tips? Any more critiques that could be made?  The more the merrier. I am in dire need of beefing up my output as I am on the verge of looking for a new guild (something preferably into Mythic progression already).

"I wanna be... the very best... like NO ONE ever was!!" LOL

Thanks again for all of the great info :) I greatly appreciate it!

The "missing" BA is just the accumulated lag you had in the entire fight by delaying the BA shot. It's not like you waited 24 seconds in one long haul :)

Using explosive trap has to be very well planned and only used as a filler if everything else is on CD and casting FS will force you to delay lika a BA/ES.

Regarding your Multistrike, it's extremely low and you can only hope to get some BRF drops which will help out more. Read up on forums, watch streams and even record yourself. I do that from time to time and discover new mistakes all the time done in my rotation. Download Simcraft and run yourself weekly and crosscheck the DPS distribution with Butcher/Gruul on single target to see how you are actually doing. Most important of all: keep asking questions and ask ppl better than you for help. That's what helped me better understand my class!

Hey, back with another log. Includes fights against Gruul, Oregorger, Hans+Franz, Flamebender, Beastlord and Operator.

I switched to BM shortly before this raid despite Survival probably doing more damage since I didn't have the 2pc or 4pc at the time, but I want to learn the spec so I'll be ready when I do obtain that gear.

Armory - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/sylvanas/valtix/advanced

Log - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/qymK4TzJXvkPR2aZ#type=summary&boss=-2

So I tried BM spec for the first time last night and was pretty under whelmed by the results. I have a feeling that I am missing something pretty fundamental in the spec, having played SV for all of this expansion. I was following the priority order given in the hunter section of Icy Veins as a guide....

Anyway here is a link to last nights logs: https://www.warcraft...urce=1&fight=2 

And armoury link: http://eu.battle.net...rn/Rowly/simple, though gear is currently enchanted multistrike (not that I would think that would make a massive difference to the BM through put)

If anyone has any time to give a couple of pointers it would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

So I tried BM spec for the first time last night and was pretty under whelmed by the results. I have a feeling that I am missing something pretty fundamental in the spec, having played SV for all of this expansion. I was following the priority order given in the hunter section of Icy Veins as a guide....

Anyway here is a link to last nights logs: https://www.warcraft...urce=1&fight=2 

And armoury link: http://eu.battle.net...rn/Rowly/simple, though gear is currently enchanted multistrike (not that I would think that would make a massive difference to the BM through put)

If anyone has any time to give a couple of pointers it would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Don't got time to go through all your fights, but will look at Gruul:

-You misstimed your second pot.

-You also don't seem to pay attention to going into Focus Fire BEFORE entering Bestial Wrath. That is a major dps loss. Always pop Focus Fire before entering BW, no matter what stacks. Also, if FF comes off cooldown while in BW then pop it again. This seems to me the "fundamental" thin you are missing. 

- Gem you gear

- Get mastery on the gun.

- Use barrage on CD, you are overly inconsistent with this aswell.

- You seem to cast a lot of Cobra Shots during Bestial wrath which is a major DPS loss. Double tap CS before entering BW and spam arcane shot if KC and Barrage is on CD.

- You wasted 28 focus, or 2 cobra shots, which is a pure dps loss

Your gear is not optimized for playing BM and you got three petrify slams on you which also will down your dps.

EDIT:

One major flaw your doing is also casting CS while in BW. Double tap CS before entering BW and spend the duration spammin AS if KC or Barrage is on CD. You dont want to waste time using CS here.

Edited by Msa

Hey.

So, I need some help. I can't seem to do enough dps for my Ilvl.

I have no idea if I'm missing something, or doing something wrong.

All I got right now is a MrRobit log, if that'll help.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/fdb8954d-4342-4623-b755-c60c1b5371fe/report/1#v=0,d=0,c=11

That's a little while ago, and I've got the Iron Maidens gun since then, but didn't go up in dps.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Oniliquid/simple

All help is appreciated.

Edited by Zillionhz

Hey.

So, I need some help. I can't seem to do enough dps for my Ilvl.

I have no idea if I'm missing something, or doing something wrong.

All I got right now is a MrRobit log, if that'll help.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/fdb8954d-4342-4623-b755-c60c1b5371fe/report/1#v=0,d=0,c=11

That's a little while ago, and I've got the Iron Maidens gun since then, but didn't go up in dps.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Oniliquid/simple

All help is appreciated.

Come back with warcraftlogs plz, the askmrrobot UI is absolutely horrible and seems to do something weird with the calculations. E.g on the Maiden kill you have 30 casts on BA and 20% uptime while it shud have been something around 60% if properly calulated. Anyway, you BA uptime is really low :)

Come back with warcraftlogs plz, the askmrrobot UI is absolutely horrible and seems to do something weird with the calculations. E.g on the Maiden kill you have 30 casts on BA and 20% uptime while it shud have been something around 60% if properly calulated. Anyway, you BA uptime is really low smile.png

Here is my warcraftlog, from BRF Normal.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zgWmPXHcVK2MvbxR/

Here is my warcraftlog, from BRF Normal.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zgWmPXHcVK2MvbxR/

I'm just checking Gruul here.

BA should be around 80%, yours is 77,88%. Stop delaying the BA!

You overcapped with 20 focus (161focus on Blackhand!).

You only used BHoTM once, when you could have used it twice. Pay attention to your trinket CD!

You only used one pot when you could have used two. 

You are spending waaaay too much time getting rid of your ToTH-proccs. What are you waiting for?

Same with LnL-proccs. Spend them _all_ right as they come up unless you got 75% multistrike, then you can weave in AS,

Barrage usage seems pretty random, check the pinned guide on rotational priority.

You only used BHoTM once, when you could have used it twice. Pay attention to your trinket CD!

You are spending waaaay too much time getting rid of your ToTH-proccs. What are you waiting for?

Same with LnL-proccs. Spend them _all_ right as they come up unless you got 75% multistrike, then you can weave in AS,

Barrage usage seems pretty random, check the pinned guide on rotational priority.

Thanks for checking it out!

I did have BHoTM macroed to my ES, but it seems that it didn't proc the second time then, for some reason.

So I should spam my LnL procs? Played survival in WotlK to Cataclysm, and back then I had to wait for the dot to run out. I'll try and spam it more then. I'll work on my ToTH procs aswell.

So, all in all, I'll work on pretty much everything! Thank you for looking at my logs!

Thanks for checking it out!

I did have BHoTM macroed to my ES, but it seems that it didn't proc the second time then, for some reason.

So I should spam my LnL procs? Played survival in WotlK to Cataclysm, and back then I had to wait for the dot to run out. I'll try and spam it more then. I'll work on my ToTH procs aswell.

So, all in all, I'll work on pretty much everything! Thank you for looking at my logs!

My advise is not macro you BHoTM, just make a TMW/WA that tells u when it is up. On certain fights you want to use it smart and not  just spam it e.g Blast Furnace.

Yes, the ES stacks now so just spam it. Remember that if you have >75% multistrike then ToTH procc is prio to dump. GL!

Hey, back with another log. Includes fights against Gruul, Oregorger, Hans+Franz, Flamebender, Beastlord and Operator.

I switched to BM shortly before this raid despite Survival probably doing more damage since I didn't have the 2pc or 4pc at the time, but I want to learn the spec so I'll be ready when I do obtain that gear.

Armory - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/sylvanas/valtix/advanced

Log - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/qymK4TzJXvkPR2aZ#type=summary&boss=-2

Bump :c