FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Niix

6.2 Log Analysis Requests / Help my DPS Thread

I'm looking at your Gruul log.

Please tell me I'm not looking at this correctly and you did in fact cast a Stampede... There is 0 fights in this raid that call for anything other than Stampede. Please don't use Blink Strikes. Your damage would've been thousands higher.

Didn't miss too many Kill Commands so not bad there.

Opener is correct other than lack of Stampede.

Low wasted focus. Good there.

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding about how to properly use Focus Fire, please refer to the weak aura, which will help you know when to use it.

Yeah, the Stampede thing was just a mistake, forgot to switch from Blink Strikes. Didn't take dire beast either iirc. Thanks, I'll have a look at the weakaura.

Spec Survival

Item level 686

Armory http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Kysenia/advanced

Most recent log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/BCpaYjKJ97xbkN8P

Looking to improve, I haven't been raiding on hunter for that long and I definitley am not where I should be.

Iron Maidens:

• 45%, ,45%, 40% uptime on SS on the three bosses, this is really low even for being on the boats.
  • 23/28 BA casts, alongside effectively loosing the last one completely on Uk'urogg.
  • You should have used barrage on this fight, however, without FS this becomes difficult to do due to the focus-starved nature of LW.
  • 37% uptime on ES is VERY low.  There are some pretty big gaps in when you cast ES which is really dragging down your uptime on it.
  • You should be almost spamming ES whenever you get a LnL proc, except in the case where you have a big MS proc (putting you at 75%+) where you want to space them out with AS in-between.

Gruul:

• Make sure you're using BA on cd, you had two 8s periods where it was off cd and not used and another 13s period later.
  • Barrage on ST is a no-no, should have used PS (powershot) here (or GT, though I'm not 100% sure on how big of a difference there is).

Beastlord:

• Only one cast of Stampede in 7:13, and it was AFTER the cd would have been reset if you used it on pull.
  • DoT the spears up with SS for extra damage if it doesn't need refreshed on the boss.
  • Some large gaps in BA usage, with one being used on a low-health cruelfang where it didn't get to run it's full course.

Kromog:

• Don't use BA on the hands, they die too quick.  You lost a good chunk of uptime here.
  • Use MS to spread SS to the hands for more AoE damage after using barrage.
  • Again, it looks like you didn't cast stampede until after the 5 min mark, loosing the first one completely.

Spec Survival
Item Level 690
Expectations: DPS extremely low for my Ilvl bracket. Advice on any fights. 

Any specific bosses/logs you want me or someone else to look at?

just wanted a bit of an over view similar to what you jusy did for the guy above. once i got 690 my bracket % is really low.

Change Steady Focus to Dire Beast for a single target fight, (ie. Gruul, Oregorger, Blackhand). It is more damage and easier to use than Steady Focus. However your uptime wasn't atrocious.

Overall your damage was not that bad, it could've been above 41k if you played a bit better / used the proper talents, but you did fairly well.

So i read over your tips and tried to improve :) thank you for your time btw

this is the result:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7MNy9Yt6DQVn18KF#type=summary&source=14

i hope i can work with that and its not too horrible again :)

Spec Survival
Item Level 690
Expectations: DPS extremely low for my Ilvl bracket. Advice on any fights. 

Hi Xerinn,

After going through your logs, I have to say that you are playing your class really well and are consistently ranking around 99% as survival. Your focus management is perfect, opener looks goood and you're getting rid of LnL-proccs fast. Seems like you are hanging on to ToTH-proccs for a while (just analyzed your latest gruul kill).

Now, you problem is that you think you are ranking too low in your bracket (88-94) even though you are playing you class somewhere around the area of optimal SV-rotation. I do believe I have a logical explanation to that and it's mainly because only a few players with your ilvl still play SV, BM being superior with 4p atm. Below I've linked the 99th percentile for Gruul for the last two weeks. As you can see, only 837 parses have been used here ranging from 13k to 46,6k. With this low amount of parses, you doing 44,6k will get rank you in 81%. 

For example you can also look at Frost DKs where only 16 parses have been registered in the 99 percentile ilvl 688-694 and ranging from 22,4k to 40,4k. Here, a DPS change of 1k will move you 10% within the bracket in the respective direction. See link below. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/7#bracket=6&boss=1691&dataset=99

While you are fighting in the second highest bracket registered on warcraftlogs, do keep in mind that 694 people will have stronger trinkets and gear than you etc, being able to flip them up the 2,2k needed to be #1 in your bracket.

Lastly I would recommend that you go BM if you ever wanna be above 45-46k dps smile.png

If anyone else have something to add here, feel free to do so. 

Edited by Msa
  • Like 1

thanks alot for checking them out. i just feel ive left it too late to switch to bm especially being bis for sv at the moment? maybe could look at trying it out when i get more loot.. so i need to use more arcane shot with toth or stop using as many?

thanks alot for checking them out. i just feel ive left it too late to switch to bm especially being bis for sv at the moment? maybe could look at trying it out when i get more loot.. so i need to use more arcane shot with toth or stop using as many?

Drop the ToTH-proccs faster.

Never too late to switch specc, takes a day or two of practice to get a hold of. Luckily you have some of the best BM hunters in the world frequenting this forum and a very robust guide that tells you everything you have to do. Looking forward to go through your BM-logs in the future.

I am in dire need of an in-depth analysis.. I feel like I should be doing much better than what I am. I feel like I'm using my FF procs appropriately (During BW/Stampede, just before popping BW). I'm not sure what else is going on here.

Please Nnx, or anyone capable of a full fledged analysis, can you help a fellow hunter out?

I wanna be, the very best... LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS!!!!!

Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Toxicus/simple

Most Recent Logs - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FAkvwqBp14ZbGyTc/#boss=-2&type=summary

I am in dire need of an in-depth analysis.. I feel like I should be doing much better than what I am. I feel like I'm using my FF procs appropriately (During BW/Stampede, just before popping BW). I'm not sure what else is going on here.

Please Nnx, or anyone capable of a full fledged analysis, can you help a fellow hunter out?

I wanna be, the very best... LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS!!!!!

Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Toxicus/simple

Most Recent Logs - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FAkvwqBp14ZbGyTc/#boss=-2&type=summary

Opener should be this with Dire Beast.

Stampede

Dire Beast

BW + On Uses + Kill Command

Barrage

Proceed.

With Steady focus, simply remove Dire Beast obviously, and do two Cobra Shots right before Stampede.

You wasted a bit of focus on Gruul, cost you some damage. WIthout Steady Focus there is 0 reason to cap your focus.

Missed some kill commands, cast more abilities and pay attention to your focus better.

Your first Barrage was WAY too late in the fight.

One thing I'm noticing when I compare to other Sv is my cast per minute is sometimes a bit low. Sometimes I find my self with black arrow coming off cd with Explosive shot like 2 seconds left so I'll arcane shot to fill time so I can get the extra explosive shot before the black arrow. Should I just focus on getting the black arrow asap or is it worth doing what I'm trying to do? (we are talking maybe 1-2 GCS'a resulting in 2secs on the delay for BA) I know they don't weave ES and arcane shot anymore but if I've got heavy shot proc with a decent timer like 3-5 secs and then I get lock n load proc on ES and toth at the same time I try to take advantage of the cheap arcane shots by weaving the ES's and arcane so I don't waste the full timer on Toth. Also I'll leave the last ES up occasionally if I have a Toth proc but not much focus.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Xerinn

One thing I'm noticing when I compare to other Sv is my cast per minute is sometimes a bit low. Sometimes I find my self with black arrow coming off cd with Explosive shot like 2 seconds left so I'll arcane shot to fill time so I can get the extra explosive shot before the black arrow. Should I just focus on getting the black arrow asap or is it worth doing what I'm trying to do? (we are talking maybe 1-2 GCS'a resulting in 2secs on the delay for BA) I know they don't weave ES and arcane shot anymore but if I've got heavy shot proc with a decent timer like 3-5 secs and then I get lock n load proc on ES and toth at the same time I try to take advantage of the cheap arcane shots by weaving the ES's and arcane so I don't waste the full timer on Toth. Also I'll leave the last ES up occasionally if I have a Toth proc but not much focus.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm not perfect when it comes to this, but SV was my main squeeze for the longest time!

I'd have to say delaying BA will likely be more negative than beneficial. Why? Because over the course of a fight, delaying it multiple times, you are likely going to miss 2-3 casts of it. Which is a good bit of DPS lost. I can understand your thought process on why you want to delay it, but in all reality over time its going to cause less damage than you'd imagine. Drop BA everytime it comes up and be prepared for it by making sure focus is up.

As for TOTH procs, you should unload them IMMEDIATELY! This way you dont lose any new procs that might've occurred in the process.

• Like 1

I just learned how to get the Warcraft Logs to work (correctly) so..

Maximize my DPS! biggrin.png  Open to all suggestions.

Log

Armory

Ahh, marksman, my favorite spec tbh.

I'd rather you log something other than lfr, simply due to the nature of lfr being random and you can't always get good pulls and there's 0 organization.

• 86% uptime on ST is pretty low for not getting thrown into the stands and only 2 zerker rushes.
  • Glaive Toss should be used on ST fights, not barrage.
  • TotH should always be taken as Marksman, not Steady Focus.
  • Opener should look something like this (since you don't have the 4 pc, optimizing Chimaera Shot during Rapid Fire isn't necessary and you should focus on getting as many Aimed Shot's off as possible):  Pre-Pot > Pre-Cast Glaive Toss > Chimaera Shot > Stampede > Rapid Fire (late in the GCD, since it is off the GCD) > Aimed Shot spam, use Steady Shot if you fall below 50 focus w/o TotH procs and using Chimaera Shot as soon as it's off cd.
  • 20/23 Chimaera Shot casts.
  • I can't look at how well you managed your focus (and how well you reacted to Kargath being within Kill Shot range) without Advanced Combat Logging turned on.  See Krazyito's Guide on WCL to see how to do this.

Hello everyone :) 

I'm a 683 ilvl BM hunter and my ranks are not so good so I would need your help please ! :p

an example of gruul kill : - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/htV28ykmbgZ3GaPL/#type=damage-done&source=12&fight=4

Armory : - http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/hyjal/Anerian/simple

If you can tell me some things that are wrong in my dps cycle or I don't know ... thank you :)

Hello everyone smile.png

I'm a 683 ilvl BM hunter and my ranks are not so good so I would need your help please ! tongue.png

an example of gruul kill : - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/htV28ykmbgZ3GaPL/#type=damage-done&source=12&fight=4

Armory : - http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/hyjal/Anerian/simple

If you can tell me some things that are wrong in my dps cycle or I don't know ... thank you smile.png

Gruul:

• On ST (Single Target) fights you should be using Dire Beast, not Steady Focus.
  • Opener with Steady Focus should look like: Pre-Pot + Pre-Cast Cobra Shot > Cobra Shot (to get SF up) > Stampede + On-Uses (Racials, BHoM, LDSC, etc) > BW > KC > Barrage > continue with using Focus Fire as soon as you have 1 or 2 (don't interrupt Barrage) stacks of Frenzy.
  • Make sure you have a high amount of focus (upwards of 80) before casting BW, as you really don't want to cast Cobra Shot during BW.
  • 38/42 KC uses, very good.

I would do more bosses, but I'm really hungry right now, and I have raid soonish.

Hey thank you very much for your answer :) 

Ah yeah you right I should use dire beast, my bad :D 

For the pull someone pulled before the DBM pull so I couldn't do this :s

But isn't 40 k dps for a 683 bm hunter very low ? Someone told me I should be at 46 k at least, :( 

Hey thank you very much for your answer smile.png

Ah yeah you right I should use dire beast, my bad biggrin.png

For the pull someone pulled before the DBM pull so I couldn't do this :s

But isn't 40 k dps for a 683 bm hunter very low ? Someone told me I should be at 46 k at least, sad.png

Whoever said that was exaggerating greatly, as Sim-C has you at 41k, so your 40k is doing pretty good.

sW31wvZ.png

Hi Guys, 

here's a log of our 9/10 HC run today. There are very few kills I'm happy with my ranking. Most of them are bad. 

It's my third week of BM and I would be very happy to get a nice review of my figths. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Kf4PaAHyJXGzcFZxmy Char is Swiffy

Where currently progressing Blackhand. A few hints for max dmg are also welcome :) Perhaps do the balcony ? 

Thanks in advance !

Best regards,

Marc

Hi Guys, 

here's a log of our 9/10 HC run today. There are very few kills I'm happy with my ranking. Most of them are bad. 

It's my third week of BM and I would be very happy to get a nice review of my figths. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Kf4PaAHyJXGzcFZxmy Char is Swiffy

Where currently progressing Blackhand. A few hints for max dmg are also welcome smile.png Perhaps do the balcony ? 

Thanks in advance !

Best regards,

Marc

On Kromog, not using your second stampede hurt, a lot.  Stampede is easily worth 25-30k dps as BM for its duration, not counting temporary buffs such as BW and FF that will affect it.

Gruul:

• The boss was in Kill Shot range from 2:37 to 3:20, so for 43 seconds.  This would allow for 8-9 uses of Kill Shot.  You had 2.
  • Should have used FF as soon as you had 1-2 stacks in your opener, lost some potential damage there (used there for Stampede benefit).
  • Don't use explosive trap on ST.  Actually, never use Exp Trap.  6 uses throughout the fight out of 0 times it should have been used.
  • From 0:10.712 to 0:17.662 you did nothing but cast Cobra Shot.  That's 4x Cobra Shot, or 88 focus returned.  You spent 70 focus during BW (2x KC + Barrage).  You were capped the entire time you were casting CS also.
  • Try not to use CS within BW, unless you are at less than 10 focus.
  • 20/32 possible KC's used, this is really low.
  • 5/7 DB uses.

I'll do more later, but I have lunch soon and class after that that I need to leave for.

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get log analysis done on my hunter. I know I can approve I feel like i might be struggling a little bit and would be nice to know where to get better. Personally I think I killed it on the thogar fight though;) everything else blah lol

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/Budabunt/simple

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jDPXyBZLbzYkM8V3/#boss=-2

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get log analysis done on my hunter. I know I can approve I feel like i might be struggling a little bit and would be nice to know where to get better. Personally I think I killed it on the thogar fight though;) everything else blah lol

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/Budabunt/simple

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jDPXyBZLbzYkM8V3/#boss=-2

Gruul:

• Opening with Dire Beast is different than with Steady Focus.  With DB it should be: Pre-Pot > DB > Stampede + On-Uses (racials, trinkets) > BW > KC > Barrage > Focus Fire > Continue
  • Try to always have around 75-80 focus going into BW, as you really don't want to have to use cobra shot during BW.

Thogar:  (For comparison against a log of mine last month that I did ~60k on)

• Use Focus Fire at any number of stacks going into BW.
  • Any fight where you are doing any amount of Beast Cleaving is where you want to take Steady Focus over Dire Beast, so, anything other than Gruul, Oregorger, and Blackhand.
  • I had nearly double the amount of BC hits that you did, make sure that you are hitting multi shot when the adds spawn.
  • Make sure to Kill Shot the Man-at-Arms and Firemenders.