Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Transistor

[Guardian] Pulverize Use

13 posts in this topic

Hello! I am new to bear tanking, and while looking up the guide I got confused over a minor point.

Basically: if I have 6 seconds left on my pulverize buff, mangle is on cooldown, my enemy has 3 stacks of lacerate, and thrash doesn't need to be refreshed -- do I cast lacerate or pulverize? I'm not sure if it's better to just delete the stacks or to let them roll as much as possible, keeping the pulverizes to a minimum.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Transistor

Just spam lacerate, it's your filler spell when you have nothing to do. 

You can refresh pulverize at 3.6s without a loss.  

Pulverize hits pretty hard, but the thing is, you run the risk of missing a Lacerate tick that could reset the cooldown on Mangle - and Rage generation trumps simply using your highest DPS ability because it's available.

I thought it was on lacerate hits, not ticks now?

I thought it was on lacerate hits, not ticks now?

I believe you are correct. The tooltip says that the ability, and not the DoT, now has a chance to reset the cooldown on Mangle. Nonetheless the advice remains the same; getting off as many uses of Mangle as possible should be your goal, as Rage is key to survival, and using Pulverize more often than needed detracts from that.

Using Pulverize is a slight dps loss because of two things:

- You lose your Lacerate stacks, which have to be built up again

- You waste a global that could've been spent on Lacerate which could've reset the cooldown of the much harder hitting Mangle

Using Pulverize also reduces your rage generation by a tiny bit and the amount of Ursa Major stacks you get as well.

That is for single target situations. In multi target situations, the effect is much bigger.

If you decide to go with the talent, it is not high priority to keep 100% uptime, if you're not taking any damage.

Edited by Shedim

Pulverize may be a dps loss but isnt having the constant 15% dmg reduction worth uptime more beneficial to your survival as tank dps isnt what it was in MOP , OR because your keeping pulverize up more your getting less lacerates which means less mangles which = less rage which in turn means less SD usage to smooth out incoming dmg . 

Pulverize may be a dps loss but isnt having the constant 15% dmg reduction worth uptime more beneficial to your survival as tank dps isnt what it was in MOP , OR because your keeping pulverize up more your getting less lacerates which means less mangles which = less rage which in turn means less SD usage to smooth out incoming dmg . 

That wasn't the question.  We never suggested to not have pulverize up, you can refresh pulverize anytime under 3.6 seconds and not lose out on the buff / dps.

The question was basically do you just spam lacerate or redo pulverize after 3 lacerate stacks, but higher than 3.6s. (answer, just spam lacerate)

i didnt think you were suggesting that and sorry if thats how it came across ...

Personally, I don't even keep Thrash up on a single target. I don't care about the DPS that it provides; if I want to DPS then I'll just go cat and spam Mangle/FB while my co-tank has the boss. While I'm tanking, Thrash's position on the priority list means I will never use it. In multiple target situations it is of course needed for threat maintenance.

Using Pulverize is a slight dps loss because of two things:

- You lose your Lacerate stacks, which have to be built up again

- You waste a global that could've been spent on Lacerate which could've reset the cooldown of the much harder hitting Mangle

Using Pulverize also reduces your rage generation by a tiny bit and the amount of Ursa Major stacks you get as well.

That is for single target situations. In multi target situations, the effect is much bigger.

If you decide to go with the talent, it is not high priority to keep 100% uptime, if you're not taking any damage.

This summarizes to me why IcyVeins is a useless site for tanks. Just a bunch of meter-heads min-maxing each other in the corner.

But we would be wrong to tell him to constantly use his lacerate stacks everytime he gets to 3. There is literally 0 reason for that. Otherwise you're just sitting there not doing anything.

Secondly, why would you not want to try to optimize your dps in general? He didn't ask about usage for other cooldowns. Just when it was a good idea to use pulverize.

Next, if we don't explain the min/max portion of why we do things, then no one will know why or understand why what we are doing is better / worse. Why would you ever not want to learn how to min/max and be the best that you can be? That's what we try to strive for. Give you the information you you ask for, explain how to use it effectively and efficiently, and you use it how you will. We don't force you to play a certain way, just tell you how and why it's done that way.

Lastly if you're complaining about the "defensive" uses for why he said specifically he's not wrong for the lacerate. The more you reset mangle the more rage you generate. The DPS boost is a side effect.

If no one was a "meterhead" then literally no community fan site or resource would exist for you to even complain about. Theorycrafting is the corner stone of sites like Icy Veins or any other. It's how we can have meaningful and in depth discussion about the classes we love.

1 person likes this

To add to what Ito said, tank damage still matters. It's not as impressive as it was in Pandaria, but that doesn't make it less important. Any time you can reduce the time to death for your target, without indirectly causing your own death or someone else's, you are increasing your contribution to the raid. We all have to make our own decisions about how we adjust that balance in a raid setting, bearing in mind the situation that the other members are put in by positioning, raid mechanics, class mechanics, latency, etc. But it's important that those decisions are made on the basis of a good understanding of your own class and how to best make it perform.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids.

We currently raid Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:00-22:00 server time. We run social/alt raids during off days in which all ranks of the guild are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is also welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with a 3 days a week schedule that you are expected to attend. However we understand things can come up but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons and world quests to gear in preparation for raids. This includes improving your artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared (i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      - Experience on 4 or more bosses in EN Mythic.
      You will receive a response within 3 days but probably within 1. The trial process will last 2 weeks, sometimes longer. During the trial period you will not have loot priority over raiders however you may of course still roll.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684  or go to our website http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/ .
      __________________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids.

We currently raid Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:00-22:00 server time. We run social/alt raids during off days in which all ranks of the guild are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is also welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with a 3 days a week schedule that you are expected to attend. However we understand things can come up but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons and world quests to gear in preparation for raids. This includes improving your artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared (i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      - 5 or more Mythic boss kills.
      You will receive a response within 3 days but probably within 1. The trial process will last 2 weeks, sometimes longer. During the trial period you will not have loot priority over raiders however you may of course still roll.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684 or go to our website http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/ .
      __________________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Monk: Brewmaster.
      Druid: Balance and Guardian.
      Priest: Shadow
      Other dps will also be considered.
    • By Vandara
      Hi experts,
      I started with healing again in raids and mythics(+) and I followed the advice here to go for Int/haste first. it would be very nice if someone would tale the time to look at my equipment:
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/Area-52/Vandara/advanced
      and let me know if you have any hints for me if I should change my stats priority/enchantments etc. I think I could need a bigger Mana pool also.
      I just joined a hc raid group as a heal and I was not doing too bad, however I'd like to get better :-) Thank you so much for your help, it is really appreciated.
      Vandara
    • By bobifle
      I'm a ilevel 870-ish resto druid.
      In order to help my lazy DSPers in M+ man5, I more or less started to dps when there's no healing to do, also to keep me busy.
      The question is rather simple and is in 2 parts:
      1/ I'm using a stupid dot-as-musch-as-possible + solar wrath "rotation" . Is this correct ? the restoration guide is missing a dps section :o). I have the guardian affinity, I find the dps bonus in boomkin affinity way too low for the trouble. Switching forms costs one GCD which I find deadly in M++
      2/ I usually end up at most with something around 140k DPs on some packs, more likely to be around 90K dps average, maybe 60Kdps on boss fights... Anyone has some reasonable DPS target available or want to share their experience ? I'm no elite so I cannot pull off elite magic stuff but I'd still be interested in anyone feedback on that subject.

Note: I'm no elite player in the sense that I probably will never be able to switch to cat form to do some melee dps, way too dangerous for  me :o)
      Note2: I cannot exactly remember but I think I can raise up to 250 Kdps but that means that no healing is required, which does not happen in M+
    • By Aztecia
      Hi guys

I'm needing some help choosing between which legendaries I should have equipped going forward. 
      Aman'Thul's Wisdom
      Velen's Future Sight
      Sephuz's Secret
      Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus
      Ekowraith, Creator of Worlds
      (^these tooltips are out of date based on the stats I have on mine)
      These are my options! I'm torn between the chest, Velen's Future Sight and Prydaz.  Shoulders seem "meh" now, 
      The 1247 crit, haste and mastery + socket on Prydaz seems kind a guaranteed choice. I was thinking Velen's because it's new, and the overhealing 1 minute cooldown seems nice?

Thoughts?? I'm a mythic+ and mythic raider.

I appreciate any input!