FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
malegria

Destro - where to use class trinket?

I was wondering how others were using Fragment of the Dark Star. I feel like it could be used on a lot of fights, but at the cost of not being able to properly focus priority adds.

I guess it's mandatory in Iron Reaver, Kormrok and Zakuun because there are few adds. Also, on Velhari you can stay on the boss and just damage the adds with havoc and immolate, and p3 is pure single.

I guess Iron Assault, Kilrogg, Socrethar, Xhul'horac, Mannoroth are out of the question, too many adds and switching...although Mannoroth's last phase is pure single target, maybe it's usable there, but still, a lot of movement.

Should I use it on Archimonde? I wouldn't be able to do much in the first 2 phases because of the adds, but it's p3 where the magic happens, but there are still infernals you have to switch to sometimes and also you can be sent down, so daaaaaaaamn it's tough.

Iskar has a lot of adds, but it's not the type where you switch targets a lot.

Gorefiend has a lot of adds, but damn, that burn phase. Could be worth it.

Please share your opinions / experiences.

As destruction I use FDS on fights where I'm guaranteed to keep my stacks up of the priority target: Iron Reaver, Iskar, Socrethar (on mythic the construct can deal with ghosts alone), Zakuun etc. On any encounter where I know I won't be able to build them up or their uptime is low I use GSR instead. Destructions niche is add cleave/sustained aoe and we have some of the highest burst damage on adds in the game. For instance on Gorefiend you'll be mostly chaos bolting and shadowburning the adds with no time to build up stacks outside of feast of souls phase. 

On Archimonde I would suggest using DSI and GSR for the same reasons. Doomfire spirit and doomguards have to die ASAP, same with the internals in the last phase. If you're incinerating them 5 times it means you're doing 50k over ~9 seconds which is around how long the add should be alive in most phases on heroic. If you're throwing chaos bolts from the start then there's no point in using the trinket to begin with. If you're staying on Archimonde the whole time or only passively cleaving the adds whilst keeping up the stacks then you're just hurting your team. If everyone had the same mentality the adds would never die and you would just wipe over and over again.

• Like 1

As destruction I use FDS on fights where I'm guaranteed to keep my stacks up of the priority target: Iron Reaver, Iskar, Socrethar (on mythic the construct can deal with ghosts alone), Zakuun etc. On any encounter where I know I won't be able to build them up or their uptime is low I use GSR instead. Destructions niche is add cleave/sustained aoe and we have some of the highest burst damage on adds in the game. For instance on Gorefiend you'll be mostly chaos bolting and shadowburning the adds with no time to build up stacks outside of feast of souls phase. 

On Archimonde I would suggest using DSI and GSR for the same reasons. Doomfire spirit and doomguards have to die ASAP, same with the internals in the last phase. If you're incinerating them 5 times it means you're doing 50k over ~9 seconds which is around how long the add should be alive in most phases on heroic. If you're throwing chaos bolts from the start then there's no point in using the trinket to begin with. If you're staying on Archimonde the whole time or only passively cleaving the adds whilst keeping up the stacks then you're just hurting your team. If everyone had the same mentality the adds would never die and you would just wipe over and over again.

Exactly what I am doing

Thanks. I'd have a followup question. I already have a 715ilvl Sandman's Pouch but no GSR. I'm not actually sure if Sandman's Pouch is better because I rarely see it equipped by others (maybe because it has a set cooldown?). Should I get GSR?

Thanks. I'd have a followup question. I already have a 715ilvl Sandman's Pouch but no GSR. I'm not actually sure if Sandman's Pouch is better because I rarely see it equipped by others (maybe because it has a set cooldown?). Should I get GSR?

If you can, try and get at least a heroic version of GSR. All other options are significantly weaker, including sandman's pouch. UGS (the one from Iskar) is also an option but not as good as GSR on a fight like Gorefiend where adds are all over the place.