Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damien

Heroes of the Storm Murky

14 posts in this topic

It should be noted that "Slime Advantage" is very useful on Battlefield of Eternity, because on that map Murky will usually try to get as much DPS on the enemy Immortal as possible (you're frequently the "DPS guy" while your team is defending green). Unfortunately it competes with "Clairvoyance", which is also very strong on that map.

It is also generally a strong talent in all scenarios where you're often helping to kill "boss" enemies (Garden of Terror comes to mind).

Since you're giving up on "Compressed Air", it should of course not be taken on maps where you'll regularly be waveclearing a lot (that's of course not true for Battlefield of Eternity). I don't think that the zoning power of Pufferfish alone mandates taking "Compressed Air".

Maybe this can be reflected in the talent selection guide.

Edited by siggboy

I deleted the above post, which seemed to be a duplicate (with the guest username "sigi", which, I assume was you).

It should be noted that "Slime Advantage" is very useful on Battlefield of Eternity, because on that map Murky will usually try to get as much DPS on the enemy Immortal as possible (you're frequently the "DPS guy" while your team is defending green). Unfortunately it competes with "Clairvoyance", which is also very strong on that map.

It is also generally a strong talent in all scenarios where you're often helping to kill "boss" enemies (Garden of Terror comes to mind).

Since you're giving up on "Compressed Air", it should of course not be taken on maps where you'll regularly be waveclearing a lot (that's of course not true for Battlefield of Eternity). I don't think that the zoning power of Pufferfish alone mandates taking "Compressed Air".

Maybe this can be reflected in the talent selection guide.

I find Slime Advantage to be a bittersweet talent; I personally like the talent's design, find it fun to use, and generally agree with your assessment. Though I do not recommend the talent, I do make the following and unusually editorial-esque note in the talents section of the guide:

"Slime Advantage makes Murky's Basic Attack damage surprisingly strong, nearly able to match that of Assassins. The main issue with Slime Advantage, however, is that Murky seldom has the ability to consistently attack Heroes to reap the benefits of the talent. Still, it should be given serious consideration against team compositions that feature two healers, as they may have trouble pushing off an aggressive Murky player. It is also worth mentioning that the talent makes taking Mercenary Camps very easy."

Simply put, I find it a bit too situational. Yes, it helps with boss-like mercenaries, and yes it punishes certain team compositions. However, its recommended alternative tends to be much more team-fighting friendly. We tend to focus on the talents that most consistently improve your chances of having an impact. I'll probably see to rate the talent as a situational pick (over non-recommended), however, as a result of your feedback.

-o

I've been finding that taking bribe on Haunted Mines is super effective. It is easy to quickly cap the giants when the mines open and either force the team to peel away to deal with them or you get free xp since they don't sit in the minion lanes and get free shots.

I've been finding that taking bribe on Haunted Mines is super effective. It is easy to quickly cap the giants when the mines open and either force the team to peel away to deal with them or you get free xp since they don't sit in the minion lanes and get free shots.

Agreed; I do make mention of it in the guide, in the abilities section:

"Though icon-murky-bribe.png Bribe has been falling out favour as of the latest patch, it has a niche yet potent application on the Haunted Mines map, where it can be used to deny your opponents' side's Ogre Mercenary Camp."

I feel like Tychus should be included as a hard counter to Murky.. Can easily auto attack down pufferfish. His  Q and grenade combo takes care of murky in short order.

4. Summary of Tips and Tricks

Second point says about Cleanse (Uther) instead Pufferfish (Murky).

I find this guide very unrealistic in a QM. Maybe this build works for AI, but in a real game it doesn't make any sense at all unless you're some Korean player with ultra fast APM. Even so, a lot of it seems extremely situational and depends on what allies you have. A typical Murky game, your objective is harassment, trolling, and throwing your enemy off the game.

In a realistic game, you want the bubble movement, it gets you out of danger faster. I've considered the block ability, but still the movement is far superior and got me out of tight spots many times. You also want the increase radius of the slim b/c Murky actually doesn't have any movement increase in comparison to other heroes. If you want to harass with slime, a larger AOE helps a lot. Building your hero around pufferfish is ineffective. In a real game pufferfish is utterly useless. Unless their team is stunned and allowing you to use it in combo, otherwise all they have to do is WALK out of the AOE. I've never seen a player bother wasting time attacking the pufferfish. They just walk away. Only time pufferfish becomes useful is when you get the slime upgrade for it. This allows you to toss a slim literally, then follow up by your slim ability immediately for bonus damage. I follow that with octograb and finish with another slime as the fish explodes. Instantly killing almost any non-warrior hero. Rewind works if you are facing 1 hero in a 1v1. In a crowded game, you'll die before you get a chance to rewind anything. 

I've seen murkies out there using similar build as this guide and I just laugh at them as I own them.

I feel like Tychus should be included as a hard counter to Murky.. Can easily auto attack down pufferfish. His  Q and grenade combo takes care of murky in short order.

Safety Bubble does, however, completely stop Tychus' Q. He's not bad against Murky, but probably not a clear-cut counter like Li-Ming, whom I still need to add.

4. Summary of Tips and Tricks

Second point says about Cleanse (Uther) instead Pufferfish (Murky).

Intended.

I find this guide very unrealistic in a QM. Maybe this build works for AI, but in a real game it doesn't make any sense at all unless you're some Korean player with ultra fast APM. Even so, a lot of it seems extremely situational and depends on what allies you have. A typical Murky game, your objective is harassment, trolling, and throwing your enemy off the game.

In a realistic game, you want the bubble movement, it gets you out of danger faster. I've considered the block ability, but still the movement is far superior and got me out of tight spots many times. You also want the increase radius of the slim b/c Murky actually doesn't have any movement increase in comparison to other heroes. If you want to harass with slime, a larger AOE helps a lot. Building your hero around pufferfish is ineffective. In a real game pufferfish is utterly useless. Unless their team is stunned and allowing you to use it in combo, otherwise all they have to do is WALK out of the AOE. I've never seen a player bother wasting time attacking the pufferfish. They just walk away. Only time pufferfish becomes useful is when you get the slime upgrade for it. This allows you to toss a slim literally, then follow up by your slim ability immediately for bonus damage. I follow that with octograb and finish with another slime as the fish explodes. Instantly killing almost any non-warrior hero. Rewind works if you are facing 1 hero in a 1v1. In a crowded game, you'll die before you get a chance to rewind anything. 

I've seen murkies out there using similar build as this guide and I just laugh at them as I own them.

Seems we've enjoyed experiences that are quite different. I do make the following remark under the talent section for Murky: "Still, talents comes down to personal preference, and every talent should be experimented with."

Murky is, funnily enough, pretty polarizing when it comes to his talents, so I'm not surprised by your comment.

Bubble doesn't stop tychus' Q it only stops damage. Tychus can still follow while in Q and often times get a kill by staying close and autoattacking him back down to finish him off with a grenade. I think you are underestimating the ability Tychus has to easily take out the pufferfish. Your other three choices of murky counters (Nova, Uther, Sonya) don't have much of a chance of stopping the pufferfish from going off at all. I think it's a mistake to not consider how hard/impossible it might be to stop murky's laning ability when deciding who the hard counters are for his character.

You say March of the Murlocs lacks versatility, when it's Octo-Grab that's one-note. It only has one use: hold a target in place. Granted, it fills that one use extremely well, and I respect the Hell out of it for that, but I find it too situational and it makes Murky too vulnerable for the duration for my personal taste.

March on the other hand can be used in a multitude of ways. It's an effective siege tool, it's an effective zoning tool, and it's an effective AoE damage tool. And while Murky can be interrupted while casting, once cast he doesn't need to be alive for it to do its job. As far as I'm concerned, the only drawback to March is it's absurd cooldown.

While it's true that certain talents, builds, and even heroes are generally easier to use effectively than others for most players, there really is no such thing as "unviable", and thinking there is I feel promotes toxicity where QM and HL teams will self-destruct on someone who dares to think outside the box.

On 7/3/2016 at 6:53 AM, Guest Senator Binks said:

Talents, builds, and even heroes are generally easier to use effectively than others for most players, there really is no such thing as "unviable", and thinking there is I feel promotes toxicity where QM and HL teams will self-destruct on someone who dares to think outside the box.

I know what you mean, and if it were up to me, I'd label everything as situational (bar a few specific ones). But, in the end, we are a guide site, and guides are always as up-to-date as they respond to the current metagame. I'm the first to dislike self fulfilling prophecies and talent expectations but whether we want it or not, 90% of players do not think that way (and some of them do not think at all!). We're trying to be reasonably flexible.

Wow there seem to be a lot of strongly opinionated murky players around here. I'm a pretty open minded guy and I NEVER use absolutes when discussing hots strats. Now lets talk about counters... Tracer is the worst murky counter in the game. This is not an opinion. It is true in every match, on every map, in every region, in every galaxy, in every dimension. Tracer has removed murky from the meta and is currently mopping up the residual slime. Murky can't hit her. Murky can't run from her. What fishtank? ...and his pufferfish exploded before it was an idea... and you're dead... and it will all happen again 2% faster 5 seconds from now... But revenge is sweet. That one time... when tracer is contemplating which way she wants to prepare her murlock supper a moment too long and doesn't instantly blink away, recall, or simply attack at the sight of a pufferfish... murky seizes his opportunity and pounces with the octo! Tragically he realizes a moment later that he has something sticky attached to his chest. *Thud*

In short, Tracer can go mrrgl herself.

On 10/26/2016 at 9:03 PM, Guest Dan said:

In short, Tracer can go mrrgl herself.

Sounds like you're quite the fan! :D

I believe that there are updates to the entire section that are coming in the future, so I'm sure the counters section will be updated to included any newer heroes.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0