Topic Details

Query Regarding High End Haste Threshold (rating 6637) for Aff

4 replies to this topic Started by jazzycakes, Jan 14 2013 02:01 AM
- - - - -
  • Please log in to reply

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

#1
jazzycakes
  • jazzycakes
  • Peasant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
  • Posts: 15
  • Reputation: neutral (0)
  • Joined: 13-January 13
First topic posted by me, and I've got a query about a high end haste threshold (haste rating 6637) I'm a 499 affliction raiding through heroic MSV / HoF, and looked up the Method Locks and trying to figure out why they do the following: Haste Rating 6637 & Hit Cap Now Currently my Haste sits at a comfy 5050 / 11.88% so I get +2 Agony Ticks + 1 UA Tick & + 2 Corruption Ticks Looking at 6637 Haste it provides the following additional ticks: + 1 Agony & + 1 UA I then worked out how much additional % damage these ticks would provide me with a single dot duration if I pushed myself up to the 6637 Haste Threshold: +1 ticks of agony over 24 seconds = 1 /(12+2 Ticks) = 7% bonus over 24 seconds +1 ticks of unstable affliction over 14 seconds = 1/(7+1) = 12.5% bonus over 14 seconds I the worked out what I would lose if I pushed to get the following: 6810 Haste Gain (16.02%) 960 Mastery Lost (4.95%) Hit Capped @ 15.03% 487 Mastery Lost (2.5%) Total Mastery Lost 7.55% Haste Gained 4.14% Hit Gained 1.4% This is as far as I have gotten upto without doing some real time analysis. I don't particularly think it's worth losing 4.95% damage on 3 of my dots & MG. Next thing I will look at will be the scaling of each dot, maybe UA will carry the DPS loss from 5% weaker corruptions? Unless someone can determine it's not worth wasting my time on analysing this. Why do they do it?

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

#2
Zagam
  • Zagam
  • Sha of Fel Magic
  • Posts: 5,071
  • Reputation: exalted (1873)
  • Joined: 25-May 12
  • LocationMorgantown, WV
Mastery benefits about 78% of your total damage (UA, Corr, Agony, MG/DS-UA, MG/DS-Corr, MG/DS-Agony) while Haste benefits 100% of your DPS. Haste, however, also stops gaining as much usefulness at this 6637 threshold as the amount of Haste needed to gain another threshold is way too high to be a DPS gain over Mastery. The overall look here is your DPS will be about 300-500 different depending on how your Warlock feels that day. Some days he crits more while others he has his procs line up better. 300-500 DPS isn't going to change much in the grand scheme of things. As I've always stressed, stats are about 10% of your DPS while your playstyle and knowledge of how Warlocks work will be the other 90%. It sounds like you've got the 90% figured out quite well.

Raid Leader of Semi-Respectable, US-Mal'Ganis - 7/7H, 1/7M

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

#3
Chobani
  • Chobani
  • Worker
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
  • Posts: 37
  • Reputation: neutral (6)
  • Joined: 13-October 12

Mastery benefits about 78% of your total damage (UA, Corr, Agony, MG/DS-UA, MG/DS-Corr, MG/DS-Agony) while Haste benefits 100% of your DPS. Haste, however, also stops gaining as much usefulness at this 6637 threshold as the amount of Haste needed to gain another threshold is way too high to be a DPS gain over Mastery.

The overall look here is your DPS will be about 300-500 different depending on how your Warlock feels that day. Some days he crits more while others he has his procs line up better. 300-500 DPS isn't going to change much in the grand scheme of things. As I've always stressed, stats are about 10% of your DPS while your playstyle and knowledge of how Warlocks work will be the other 90%. It sounds like you've got the 90% figured out quite well.


While you're at 6637 haste, does Simcraft still put haste over mastery for you too? I still feel dirty ignoring simcraft even though it keeps telling me to push haste even after I hit 6637. Around 8000 or so, it drops off and Mastery takes over.

Warlock stat weights have been such a clustercuss this expansion, with haste and mastery being so close.

Also, do my eyes deceive me or are you really using a Burning Shadowspirit Meta gem? XD http://us.battle.net.../Zagam/advanced

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

#4
Zagam
  • Zagam
  • Sha of Fel Magic
  • Posts: 5,071
  • Reputation: exalted (1873)
  • Joined: 25-May 12
  • LocationMorgantown, WV

While you're at 6637 haste, does Simcraft still put haste over mastery for you too? I still feel dirty ignoring simcraft even though it keeps telling me to push haste even after I hit 6637. Around 8000 or so, it drops off and Mastery takes over.

Warlock stat weights have been such a clustercuss this expansion, with haste and mastery being so close.

Also, do my eyes deceive me or are you really using a Burning Shadowspirit Meta gem? XD http://us.battle.net.../Zagam/advanced


/facepalm. I felt like I was missing some spell power. That's what happens when you type in burning and buy the cheapest one -_-...great catch, thank you. You know...we had a Heroic Elegon wipe at 0.2%...I'll bet that gem would have made the difference. There goes all credibility I have :(

As for Simcraft, I have the values on my character being 2.36 for Haste and 2.38 for Mastery. They're so bloody close that the best you can do is find a threshold where Haste stops being as valuable in a real setting, hence the 6637 threshold. It's also to note that on any fight with an additional target, Mastery comes up huge as you'll have more DoTs ticking for a lot more.

I try to stress that stats won't make people's DPS skyrocket. Most people think if they find some magical reforge point their DPS will blow off the charts...I still say 10% of your DPS comes from proper itemization and stat budgeting while 90% comes all from managing your DoTs spell power.

Thank you again for the catch on my gem...

Raid Leader of Semi-Respectable, US-Mal'Ganis - 7/7H, 1/7M

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

#5
jazzycakes
  • jazzycakes
  • Peasant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
  • Posts: 15
  • Reputation: neutral (0)
  • Joined: 13-January 13
I will do a simucraft when I get home in about 9 hours and will post it. Currently I think my haste is sitting at 6700 and mastery is 50 points above it. I'm starting to believe that having mastery slightly higher than haste up until you can push the next haste threshold (while keeping mastery ahead of haste) will be our goal in 5.2 with higher item levels AND better itemised stats... (BIS Neck is MSV and haste crit... VOMIT, wtb mastery haste from hof/toes) In our raids I'm seeing myself more compeditive against our top lock (My Ilvl is higher by 3-4 points however he has 4 set) with my haste at 6637 and his at the old 4713~ish (Plus he's a freak on the damage meters, he has a secret recipe >:( ) I think our next huge dps increase will be when we can passively have an extra tick from Maelific Grasp with raid buff. This will provide faster damage and an extra chance for SS procs which is always a dps increase! Also I think I read from Zagams lock walkthrough that spamming haunt during execute phase is a dps increase. I will confirm this. I'm the only lock who does this in our raid and it will make me catch up and get infront of the 'other' lock sometimes. Great tip mate.

Edited by jazzycakes, 18 January 2013 - 12:43 AM.

Active Users

0 user(s) are browsing this forum 0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users