FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
monkeycid

Help! 7+ Arena Attempts & Only Averaging 2 Wins!

I'm in dire straits!

I have been playing for a short time and used all the gold I have collected on arena runs but I am not able to make it worthwhile. I seem to either finish with 1 win or 2 wins and I don't seem to be getting any better with more attempts. If anything, I seem to have adopted a less than favorable playstyle and unable to change as time goes on.

Is there anything I can do to improve?

I keep debating whether all this gold I am wasting on the arena could be better spent on the expansion sets. Thus increasing my card pool to make better decks that I could then in turn use to farm gold with quick wins in Play Mode?

Do you think the problem is in draft or during the duels?

If you have problem drafing, use a site to help you. There are several websites and guides about drafting, even icy-veins has a guide and tier listing.

If you think the draft is ok and the problem is in your skills, just play in play mode. Try ranked and after you reach rank 14 or better, try arena again.

In either case, you could find a more experienced player to help you out both in drafting phase and in battle phase.

Edited by positiv2
  • Like 1

It depends. The most important question is whether or not you actually enjoy it. The average winrate in arena is only 3, and that average is shared between millions of players who have a lot more experience than you do with just 7 runs. So 2 wins, while sounding disheartening, actually isn't all that bad, certainly not for a beginner  If you do enjoy it, then stick with it and you will get better. If you don't enjoy it but think it is the best way to advance your card collection, then it's dubious... it takes a lot of skill to get your average to 6-7+ wins (which is what you need to really speed up your collection building). Only the top 5% actually achieves that - which means 19 out of 20 players don't!

If you want to get better then there are a few resources. First of all you can look at Arena pick lists to find the best quality picks from the cards you are offered. There are several, but I think that this is one of the best: http://www.heartharena.com/tierlist

Apart from picking the best cards, you also want to keep an eye on your mana curve. Arena is a very tempo-based game, which means that you want to have high quality drops from turns 2-5. So sometimes you will have to pick a slightly worse card to improve your chances of getting a much better curve. 

To improve your gameplay, it is important that you have a good understand the basics of Hearthstone. The Trump's teachings video series (

) is a very good place to start.

It's also useful to watch some streams. Look for the twitch channels of people like Ratsmah, Hafu and Kripperian. They are all great arena players. Sometimes -depending on their mood- they explain their plays very well.  

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies!

Hearing about the average winrate being so small lifted my own spirits greatly. 2 wins doesn't seem so bad anymore. I do make some terrible decisions during game. For instance, in the last game I played, I traded 2 for 2 and then summoned a minion which gains attack for every minion killed AFTER I killed 4. So, I lost 4 attack right there..

I think it's a multitude of silly minor errors like that which is being detrimental. I end up making plays which on the surface appear to be good but in the end only help my opponent and speed up my demise.

I will definitely make use of the links you pointed to, Modalko. Thank you for those!

Watching players like Shadybunny and Ratsmah on Twitch may help - they go through the drafting process and also provide excellent explanations of their choices. I have learned a lot from them.