FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
rumbleweeds

Conceding/Losing

Can someone please explain why when, in CASUAL Play mode, if I am about to take the last winning hit on a hero, 9 out of 10 times, my opponent concedes RIGHT before I can get the hit? Is there a difference between LOSING and CONCEDING in casual? Is there a difference in ANY mode? Or is this just an ego thing? Thanks

I know I've seen it fairly often.  I don't think there is much difference, a loss is still a loss.  I'll conceed on my turn if I see no way to counter what my opponent has in play, but I'd never try to time it to just before the killing strike.  I'd have to conclude it's an ego thing more than anything else, as there isn't any strategic value to when one losses.

Conceding is a smart play if you know you've lost and you want to play more games in a limited amount of time. The scenario you describe is different, however, as waiting until the last moment to concede obviously doesn't save much time. I will concede during my turn if my opponent has lethal showing on the board and I have no way to counter it. I will only concede during my opponents turn if they are being a show-off, playing every card from their hand when it's not necessary to beat me. That's irritating to me. 

To directly answer your question, there is no difference that I'm aware of between losing and conceding. You will lose a star in Ranked Mode either way. In Casual Mode, where you are supposed to go against players with similar winning percentages as you, I would think a loss would be recorded the same whether you concede or whether your opponent deals lethal damage. However, I don't know the specifics of how they determine opponents. Does the average amount of damage you deal and/or receive make a difference? Is that part of the calculation? I doubt it as this would vary greatly based on the type of deck you play, not just how good of a player you are. These are interesting questions though...

• Like 1

Thanks for your answers! I was just making sure I hadn't missed something in the game, or that I was misunderstanding.

@Mursilis- I thought that was the case. Seemed more of an ego thing.

@Darb- I have done the same before, not many time, but a few and almost always on what would have been the last turn OR if the person is just constantly letting the time run on their turns, but as you stated, never timing it JUST before the last hit is coming in. You can usually tell you're going to lose at the end of their turn/beginning of yours, but to wait until the last second seemed silly to me. But, nonetheless, it has happened to me yet again 3 more times just today. When I said 9 out of 10, it's really more like 7 or 8, but regardless. My name doesn't specify I'm a 31 year old female so it couldn't be a tough guy thing not wanting to lose to a woman. The damage about to be done necessarily matter, but I can see why someone might want to wait until the last minute to concede JUST IN CASE your opponent accidentally hit a minion instead of your hero and there was any possible way you could prolong it just long enough to make a come back. It would be a shame to quit just to have them screw up. BUT AGAIN, in casual it doesn't matter either way, right? It doesn't affect any stat win or lose.

THE ONLY thing I have noticed is more times it is players who are more progressed in the game than me, meaning better cards/decks, so I don't know if it is just frustration that someone just starting out (a month or so ago) beat you? I have been using a variation of the "Basic" deck that is suggested here on IcyVeins for Druid and Mage, with a few adjustments that works for me. But length of game, regardless if I'm playing more aggro or not, whether I tweak it more for board clearing, etc OR what style/deck THEY are playing doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

And I am not one just to play every card in my hand if I know I'm going to win. I just get it over and done with but BAM every friggen time! They leave as I'm ON MY WAY across the board. UUGH drives me insane!!!

I will only concede during my opponents turn if they are being a show-off, playing every card from their hand when it's not necessary to beat me. That's irritating to me. 

Oh good, so it's not just me that finds that a tad annoying.  I realize some people have quests to play a certain number of spells or minions but still I'm not a fan of wating around for my opponent to play 5-6 cards before getting around to ridding me of my last 3 HP.

• Like 1

Think we had a little discussion about this when hearthstone was fairly new. There's arguments for and against really. If you have limited time you may want to get into your next game ASAP rather than waiting for the inevitable.

Opponents "showing off" can be frustrating but players sometimes have quests they need to complete (killing mobs / casting spells etc) so what may look like showing off may be just them pushing their own quests knowing the match is won.

Ultimately I wouldn't get too hung up. Means you get into your next game quicker too!

• Like 1

In addition to showing off or competing a daily quest, another motivating factor for people to play extra cards at the end is to maximize the amount of XP they gain from the match.  I'm a firm believer that you can play the game in any way that suits you, but it does help to understand why someone might be behaving the way they are.  So if you want to get to your next match faster, that's perfectly reasonable; but I also think it's viable to play a few extra cards and make a few extra minion trades to get those extra XP you need for that next golden card!