FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
menace97

Looking for a Leveling Guide for 1-85 for Demo or Destro

i'm new to icy veins, and i really am enjoying a lot of the content here. i'm very glad a friend pointed me in this direction.

my favorite class is the warlock, and i have been leveling and playing them as affliction for so long, i thought it would be fun to finally try leveling a lock with a different specialization. i'm having a hard time finding information or guides on leveling a demo or destro warlock from the beginning (1-85). i see lots of information here on affliction of course, as it is my spec of choice and seems to be a favorite among many locks. I have looked through all the warlock guides and leveling guides which focus on leveling through pandaria (85-90).

so i feel a bit lost as to starting out as say a demonology warlock for the first time, and leveling her up - what spells to use, the rotations, etc. using the current guides, as they are geared towards end-game content, i feel lost as to how to progress through the levels with new spells and abilities as they come.

does anyone know of a good place to look for help with starting out and leveling as a non-affliction warlock? this seems like a fantastic environment for lovers of wow and i'm glad i finally found my way here. i would really appreciate any direction or assistance.

thank you.

When I leveled my Warlock through Pandaria, I WISH I had been Demonology. I leveled as Affliction to gain an understanding of it since I knew that's what I would be raiding as, but after seeing all the abilities and passives of Demo, I would have definitely rolled that way.

That said, I got my fiance hooked up her Warlock and she's been leveling Demonology while playing The Sims on her iPad. It's that easy. All you have to do is take your Wrathguard as soon as possible, use Hand of Guldan, and spam Shadowbolt. When you fight something hard or pull too much, pop Metamorphosis. As you are leveling, you'll really only need 3 spells: Shadowbolt, Hand of Guldan, and Life Tap. Spam these all the way. When you pop into Meta, Shadowbolt turns into Touch of Chaos which is just an instant Shadowbolt.

At level 15, take Dark Regeneration. Create the following macro:

#showtooltip Dark Regeneration

/cast Dark Regeneration

/use Healthstone

Use this anytime you're in trouble. This will heal you from 10% to 100% over about 4 seconds.

At level 30, take Mortal Coil as another self-heal on a short CD.

At level 45, take Dark Bargain and use in emergencies.

At level 60, take Unending Resolve. Any time you get bad magic stuff on you, pop this bad boy and you'll be free.

At level 75, take Grimoire of Supremacy. Your Felguard will become a Wrathguard.

I THINK you get a Felguard at level 44...until then, use your Felhunter for DPS. Keep Threatening Presence on so that they are a mini tank for you.

For single target while questing, use Hand of Guldan and spam Shadowbolt.

For a lot of targets while questing, use Felstorm/Wrathstorm, Hand of Guldan (it has an AoE effect), and pop Metamorphosis for Touch of Chaos spam.

For dungeons and single target, use Hand of Guldan, apply Corruption, use Shadowbolt until you have high amounts of Demonic Fury, then go into Metamorphosis and spam Touch of Chaos. You can put Soulfire on your bar, but only cast it if you have charges of Molten Core.

For dungeons and AoE, use Hand of Guldan twice then Hellfire and use Wrathstorm/Felstorm on CD.

For defensive abilities, you'll have Dark Regeneration, Mortal Coil, and Unending Resolve. You'll also have Healthstones which are a valuable commodity. Use them often when needed.

• Like 2

thank you so much Zagam! i really appreciate all the great info you had for me, and others curious about trying another spec for their warlock.

i am at level 19 and giving your suggestions a try - i just got hand of gul'dan so that should change things up for sure. as with anything new, this feels really awkward and strange, but it's cool to be trying something a little different. playing affliction so long, and especially just re-learning how to play affliction makes this, like i said, awkward.

the macro is great, thank you!

i'm trying to figure out the general 'feel' of demonology, and i guess i'm having a difficult time adjusting to how this feels like it's focused on the demon, or i'm guessing being the demon myself at times. being that this is new, i'm trying to figure out what the purpose of metamorphosis is - you 'become' the demon. is there a reason why one would use the ability 'demonic leap' instead of just simply metamorphosis? and Zagam, you say just pop into metamorphosis when things get a bit rough. so is it ideal to be in demonic form say half of the time? i'm finding i want to cast corruption on every target, as i sometimes fall into my affliction ways, but i see that is not available while in that form.

i'm playing around with it, and with your (much appreciated) help, learning a new aspect of the lock class.

thank you very much for your time and advice! :)

hopefully others will find this useful too, as i still haven't been able to find many resources that are current regarding demo and destro changes - specifically leveling BEFORE MoP. so thanks again my friend!

Level as demonology.

Sorry, I'm not going to figure out what spells you get as you get them, but toward the later end just can't die and you can pick up as many enemies as possible and aoe like no one else in the game can.

You'll kill everything at least 4 times faster than the other specs also (and later at lvl 90 will get your dailies done that much faster also), demo really is the most amazing spec in the game for aoe, i.e. trash killing.

Basically just run as fast as you can putting corruption up on everything, then drop a hand of guldan when a few enemies are together chasing you. Your felguard will be killing them the whole time as well, put his Felstorm ability on your bar or keybind that you use a lot, and Felstorm when you have a few enemies also, which will pretty much kill them on its own. After you've built up a decent mob, pop meta, immolation aura, and harvest life. You can doom a couple if you picked up any stronger adds. Clean up the last couple of stronger stragglers with touch of chaos. Keep running and switch out of meta to put corruption on the next wave of monsters and rinse and repeat. You get a lot of fury for every monster you kill, so once you start doing this, you'll always have a lot of fury, if not maxed, and you'll just be an unstoppable killing machine.

Super easy, you can use curse of elements on guys too as you're running if you want, or you can be REALLY lazy and not single target anything and just run around with hellfire on and then aoe everything with harvest life and not pop meta until after you have a few kills and got fury from that (and harvest life).

Take the harvest life talent for sure, then I recommend shadowfury, after you've collected a big mob shadowfury them and it will stun all of them while you destroy them, Dark Bargain, Unbound Will (to get yourself out of a stun), and I recommend Supremacy when you get there.