FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
twitmoss

Prot Warrior - Stamina or Other Trinket, Ravager vs Gladiator, Shield Block/Barrier

Hi, 

My name is Twitbooze, and I'm an Alcoholic a Tank

A little bit of info about my situation:

I am busy tanking hellfire citadel for my guild. It is an Alt / Weekend raid group so most of the raiders are either casual raiders or gearing up Alts. Our DPS is a little low so the fights take a little but longer. We usually down the Hellfire High Council just before the enrage timer. Last run I think it was 8 sec to enrage. (Getting better tongue.png )

It is my job to tank Dia Darkwhisper and I think I'm doing a pretty good job keeping my cooldowns and shields up during Nightmare Visage.

The Issue:

After killing Gurtogg Bloodboil we have 2 stacks of Tainted Blood making Dia Darkwhisper's Nightmare Visage pretty hairy if I make a mistake with a cooldown or can't keep shields up the entire 20sec due to poor rage management.

Question:

I am currently using Battering Talisman as one of my trinkets and a Stam flask. With raid buffed HP on about 500k. Should I rather be using a Bonus Armor / Mastery / Crit / Vers Trinket? (Not sure what I can get my hands on) maybe Knight's Badge ilvl 670 = +303 BA

I have read some conflicting information about the tanking flask too. Is the Stam flask the correct flask?

Edit: I also have Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork

Editx2: Ended up getting Knight's Badge ilv 685. My healers said that I was much easier to heal. IT felt a lot smoother to me too.

Edited by twitmoss

I've been testing out the trinkets on trash to see if there is any noticeable difference and they look just about even to me.

I've also been playing with Resolve and Shield Barrier and I've found that I tend to take less damage with  Shield Barrier over Shield Block even with physical damage in some scenarios even with non elite mobs. Are there any addons to monitor when to use either ability? I know the general rule of thumb is Shield Block for physical and  Shield Barrier for everything else.

How does Shield Block work exactly?

If 100k physical damage is coming my way before armor reduction:

Will my armor stop 50% of it reducing it to 50k and the Shield Block 30% of the 100k reducing it to 20k or will the Shield Block reduce 30% of the remaining 50k making it 33k?

Also any advice with Ravager vs Gladiator's Resolve in the above mentioned post? My guess is that  Gladiator's Resolve may give me more overall reducion but Ravager  will help me more on Dia Darkwhisper's Nightmare Visage and that is where we are having a small issue.

Don't get me wrong. I have not yet died during this phase, I'm just looking at a way to make it easier for my healers, after all, that is the tanks job, take less damage.

For Hellfire High Council, I use Imbued Stone Sigil and Anzu's Cursed Plume. You only need a bit of a steam buff, just enough to give your healers some breathing room.

You can go either way with flasks. Since your team is struggling with DPS, you should probably go with a strength flask top help them out. Switch top stam if your healers are struggling top keep you up.

Shield Block works on damage after armor, so in that scenario, you would take 33k.

Shield Barrier well provide a greater total damage reduction, but you will be spikier. Thus, you'll be harder to heal. Keep a solid uptime on Block and supplement with Barriers.

Actually, Gladiator's Resolve does NOT give less damage taken. Ravager actually gives you about 10% less damage taken and had very similar smoothness. Additionally, you can time your Ravager to be up for every other Nightmare Visage and it completely trivializes that part of the fight.

Hello, I am also a Tankaholic.

Anyways, to clear a few things up, the reason you take less damage with a shield barrier over shield block is that (with my warrior's gear and the like) I believe I shield barrier for about 130k (60 rage, 200% resolve) while in combat. Rather than seeing my health dip I just have an additional bubble. Shield block can't stop magic damage until you have the class trinket, so there's that. 

So, for Dia I will interrupt then spell reflect her spells, and then save ravager for Nightmare Visage, along with shield barrier. Then on the cooldown, I'll focus shield block with barriers filling in. Save your Shield Wall for a nightmare visage during the part where you have ghosties flying around, then on the second time use last stand for that after taking a few hits, along with enraged regeneration.

Regarding the trinkets I never liked the stamina sticks and would rather get mitigation over them. That said, I've been tinkering with the Unseeing Eye from Kilrog, but mostly as I don't have a better replacement. (Trinkets suck)

But the Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork is very nice for a short CD, increasing damage and reducing damage taken. (using it with Last Stand+Enraged Regen+Ravager+Shield Barrier would work wonders) 

Personally, I tend to use Unyielding Strikes along with Anger Management, as I spend rage like it's going out of style.

Consider using the glyph of -5 second on spell reflect for Dia over the Shield Slam for that fight, and I'm not sure if the Gag order glyph will stop her spell casting, since interrupts and silences are weird.