Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damien

Heroes of the Storm Abathur

18 posts in this topic

Nice guide, but this is only one side of Abathur. Actually Abathur can be one of the best solo pushers in the game, with the right build.

I have had much success with:

1. Survival Insticts

2. Sustained Carapace

3. Networked Carapace

4. Evolve Monstrocity

5. Bombard Strain

6. Locust Brood

7. Locust Nest

With this build, especially after lvl7, you can push any lane solo. At lvl7, you get the first power spike (shield to all minions and mercs near your symbiote). Each talent after that, makes you increasingly stronger for pushing.

After getting Bombard Strain, you can begin pushing more aggresively, staying in bushes near their side, and Z when in trouble or when its time to push another lane.

After lvl 16, no lane is safe with this build. If you have nice map awareness, the enemy will have to dedicate heroes to stop you/hunt you, or lose the game. Simple as that.

Benefits of this, is that you can still help in tfs when needed, plus you can push any lane, with no downtime, and switch when it becomes crowded.

One think i do in general, is puting the monstrocity on a lane and then symbiote another lane. Preferably both of those empty... Many Abathurs feel the need to control personally the Monstrocity, i generally avoid that with this build. Even if a push the lane where the Monstrocity is, i prefer symbioting a minion. Makes it easier to control and gives you more time/attention to more important things, like map awareness...

Another think i also do, is putting a nest in a lane i wont push in general. If you put a nest in one lane, monostrocity in another, and then symbiote a third, you effectively pressure all lanes at the same time, plus you make it more difficult for the enemy to spot you...

All in all, i dont understand how Abathur cant solo a lane... Seriously... I think that is a mistake in this guide. It's quite the opposite of this.

Nice guide, but this is only one side of Abathur. Actually Abathur can be one of the best solo pushers in the game, with the right build.

I have had much success with:

1. Survival Insticts

2. Sustained Carapace

3. Networked Carapace

4. Evolve Monstrocity

5. Bombard Strain

6. Locust Brood

7. Locust Nest

With this build, especially after lvl7, you can push any lane solo. At lvl7, you get the first power spike (shield to all minions and mercs near your symbiote). Each talent after that, makes you increasingly stronger for pushing.

After getting Bombard Strain, you can begin pushing more aggresively, staying in bushes near their side, and Z when in trouble or when its time to push another lane.

After lvl 16, no lane is safe with this build. If you have nice map awareness, the enemy will have to dedicate heroes to stop you/hunt you, or lose the game. Simple as that.

Benefits of this, is that you can still help in tfs when needed, plus you can push any lane, with no downtime, and switch when it becomes crowded.

One think i do in general, is puting the monstrocity on a lane and then symbiote another lane. Preferably both of those empty... Many Abathurs feel the need to control personally the Monstrocity, i generally avoid that with this build. Even if a push the lane where the Monstrocity is, i prefer symbioting a minion. Makes it easier to control and gives you more time/attention to more important things, like map awareness...

Another think i also do, is putting a nest in a lane i wont push in general. If you put a nest in one lane, monostrocity in another, and then symbiote a third, you effectively pressure all lanes at the same time, plus you make it more difficult for the enemy to spot you...

All in all, i dont understand how Abathur cant solo a lane... Seriously... I think that is a mistake in this guide. It's quite the opposite of this.

Hey TemplarGR,

There are indeed multiple Abathur builds, but I feel that the one I've used is the most prevalent and overall most successful. That being said, I am in the process of adding another build to the TL;DR section that I've found to be very good, especially at high levels of play. It is similar to yours, but slightly differs in playstyle.

>All in all, i dont understand how Abathur cant solo a lane

Abathur can soak a lane alone, but he can't solo a lane, at least not if you want him to have any presence anywhere else.

Edited by Srey

I'm a new player, new to Abatur in particular. Is it ever viable to use the mines to draw tower's ammunition or is there always a better use?

I'm a new player, new to Abatur in particular. Is it ever viable to use the mines to draw tower's ammunition or is there always a better use?

No, never use mines in this way. They are most effective when placed around the map, providing vision and dismounting rotating Heroes.

As of the recent Artanis update, losing vision on the target area for Deep Tunnel no longer cancels the cast. This change needs to be reflected in that ability's description.

As of the recent Artanis update, losing vision on the target area for Deep Tunnel no longer cancels the cast. This change needs to be reflected in that ability's description.

Thanks for the heads up!

Can you update map strategies for the towers of doom map?

Also, it might be handy to provide a small section (not sure where) that summarises when you should go some type of mines/locust build.... you can get a bit of this in various places in this really good guide, but it'd help us to remember it more easily!

I figured out that Tassadar is quite a conter to Abathur, since his D may reveal you on the map (If you are standing close to the lane) or make you vulnerable if you stand too close to a tower.

I still have to learn a lot about positioning with Abathur, any regular spots you would recoment?

Tower of Doom, because of the constant movment of the map, and the small size, i found it effective just to stay in the middle lane base, and provide support that way your mines have almost, if not global range of the genetal playable area. and you can still assist as necessary

I ended up winning the game because my team had the entire enemy team distracted at one objective when i wormed over to grab the uncontested one since it was also close to the middle lane. (middle right objective),  Also, dont be afraid to go for objectives with your team if they are good at damage soak and sustain against the enemy team, like curses or something, You can always grab them and deep tunnel to back to your soak lane before the enemy has a chance to counter.

I find it somewhat odd that the locust build is one of the two recommended builds on page one, yet the locusts talents are almost universally waved away in the talents section. This makes the guide feel rather disjointed. I've seen locust split push builds be used to some success, so there is probably some merit to it, but I do not claim to know whether or not it is viable.

On February 25, 2016 at 0:48 AM, WebBowser said:

I find it somewhat odd that the locust build is one of the two recommended builds on page one, yet the locusts talents are almost universally waved away in the talents section. This makes the guide feel rather disjointed. I've seen locust split push builds be used to some success, so there is probably some merit to it, but I do not claim to know whether or not it is viable.

While I don't think I am quite ready to take aby into competitive, the locust split-push build has yielded wonderful results for me. Once you hit level 10, you can add locusts to a lane then clone an ally at the objective while your locusts are (hopefully) getting last hits to gain experience and wearing down enemy structures. This essentially causes the enemy to lose either the gate and two towers, or at least half of the Fort/Keep's health if they let you go uncontested. You can also mine common paths from the team fight to your current location to keep tabs on potential gankers or lane clearers while you SymbioteSymbiote a minion or ally to further put pressure on the enemy team. Levels 13, 16, and 20 all provide huge buffs to his kit as well; level 13 gives your locusts a huge damage increase (Bombard StrainBombard Strain or Assault StrainAssault Strain both are huge, either one works), Locust BroodLocust Brood almost quadruples what your normal pushes do (keep in mind this powerful push only lasts 25 seconds if not talented with Survival InstinctsSurvival Instincts, and 35 seconds with it), and Locust NestLocust Nest can be dropped off in a lane to permanently double your pushing power. It also is a good tool for a trap; put it in a bush and put mines all around it from another lane to hurt an enemy trying to hunt you based off locust location while losing no health yourself. While I will admit I am by no means a master at Abathur (or any other heroes, really) I have played a good 30+ quick matches using this build alone to great success (when it works out; he needs a very specific type of team to work well.)

17 hours ago, Niteshadow said:

(when it works out; he needs a very specific type of team to work well.)

I think both this and map type are incredibly important to the success of Abathur. Some maps are extremely taxing to perform well on as Aba, while some can be rather chilled out to play through.

48 minutes ago, Blainie said:

I think both this and map type are incredibly important to the success of Abathur. Some maps are extremely taxing to perform well on as Aba, while some can be rather chilled out to play through.

I agree. I generally will stay away from taking this build if the enemy has a global (Brightwing, Dehaka, Falstad, Illidan with the hunt, E.T.C. with stage dive, etc.) just because they can delay your push and force you out of aggressive positioning. I also do not take it on small maps like towers of doom or maps with multiple control points (namely Dragon Shire and Braxis Holdout) as you cannot effectively position yourself to do what you do best without getting ganked.

26 minutes ago, Niteshadow said:

I agree. I generally will stay away from taking this build if the enemy has a global (Brightwing, Dehaka, Falstad, Illidan with the hunt, E.T.C. with stage dive, etc.) just because they can delay your push and force you out of aggressive positioning. I also do not take it on small maps like towers of doom or maps with multiple control points (namely Dragon Shire and Braxis Holdout) as you cannot effectively position yourself to do what you do best without getting ganked.

You seem to have a decent understanding of when to or when to not use Abathur's builds, so maybe you ARE ready to play him in competitive! ;D

Just now, Blainie said:

You seem to have a decent understanding of when to or when to not use Abathur's builds, so maybe you ARE ready to play him in competitive! ;D

I'm actually fairly new to the game, I just understand some of the basics! (I believe I just started sometime earlier this year)

1 person likes this

Just a question for the split push build; When your team is being completely shut out and can't go out far from their structures, how do you respond? Do you still position aggressively in a lane or push the lane back? Thanks!

On 11/27/2016 at 6:21 AM, Niteshadow said:

Just a question for the split push build; When your team is being completely shut out and can't go out far from their structures, how do you respond? Do you still position aggressively in a lane or push the lane back? Thanks!

I think it's still fair to position aggressively, but depending on your own abilities. If you can't keep an eye on your own team constantly, you won't be useful. You need to be ready to assist, regardless of what is happening around you.

If you don't trust yourself, take a more relaxed stance and just push the lane back.

Also, don't get caught.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0