Damien

Witch Doctor: Carnevil Poison with Zunimassa's Haunt

65 posts in this topic

Why is no guide mentioning Halcyon's Ascent? I have tried it and you can permastun and it really helps against charging mobs.

Why is no guide mentioning Halcyon's Ascent? I have tried it and you can permastun and it really helps against charging mobs.

Sadly Halcyon rolls with guaranteed CDR, which means it can never have the optimal DPS stats of double crit-open socket-elemental damage. On top of that, Hellfire Amulet's additional passive outweighs most legendary item bonuses. :)

Hi, why do you advise Attack speed is a better roll on the weapon than straight %Damage?

Does tasker and Theo work with fetishes? Just wondering if taking Zuni head T&T gloves and mask of jeram in cube would be a good alternative build atm

Hi, why do you advise Attack speed is a better roll on the weapon than straight %Damage?

Remember that your fetishes are shooting darts whenever you do in the Carnevil build, their damage taking sheet DPS into account. Thus you benefit twice from an attack speed roll damage increase, vastly outperforming % damage.

Why no tasker and theo or enforcer gem? Seems pretty good for pets

Heya! In Carnevil builds pets only attack when YOU do, negating the positives of Tasker & Theo. Enforcer is a decent gem and will increase your damage, but less so than Bane of the Trapped and Simplicity's Strength due to the way Diablo groups damage buff types. (Further reading here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/14058607023 )

A few considerations for this build

1) Poison Dart rune selection: Snake to the Face stuns, which is a hard CC whereas Numbing Dart slows, which is a soft CC. With the changes to CC resistance in 2.3 soft CCs are generally preferable. Mind you, regardless of the element of your chosen PD rune, your Fetishes' darts will still be Poison element.

2) Pirhanas rune selection: Frozen Pirhanas slows (soft) instead of Pirhanado's knock back (hard) effect. Zombie Pirhanas has a much larger, but without the benefit of the CC. Zombie Pirhanas would seem be the preferred rune for group play with a good CC character like a palm-pull Monk or DMO/DelRasha Wizard.

3) A point of clarification: You said that Fetishes attack only when you do. This is only 21% true. The 5 closest Fetishes shoot darts only when you do; the other 18 still using daggers have their own attack animation speed independent of your shooting darts which would be boosted by Tasker & Theo, assuming T&T could be made to fit without breaking the build. More reason to wish for a Zuni belt, I suppose.

4) Gem selection: I feel the Gogok of Swiftness deserves mention to replace Esoteric Alteration for builds suffering from low DPS instead of squishiness (e.g. using a String of Ears in place of Witching Hour). It provides increased attack speed of up to 15% with a short spin-up time and reduces cooldowns at level 25.

You could also potentially work in Haunt: Poisoned Spirit. As a single-target spell it's suboptimal for clearing trash but the debuff applies to all sources of damage in group play, making elites and guardians a snap. Likewise, playing with an Inna's Monk you could potentially swap Esoteric Alteration for Gem of Efficacious Toxin. Its level 25 debuff applies to all sources of damage and between your piercing darts and a melee Fetish's habit of charging ahead you should be able to keep everything on screen debuffed.

A few considerations for this build

1) Poison Dart rune selection: Snake to the Face stuns, which is a hard CC whereas Numbing Dart slows, which is a soft CC. With the changes to CC resistance in 2.3 soft CCs are generally preferable. Mind you, regardless of the element of your chosen PD rune, your Fetishes' darts will still be Poison element.

2) Pirhanas rune selection: Frozen Pirhanas slows (soft) instead of Pirhanado's knock back (hard) effect. Zombie Pirhanas has a much larger, but without the benefit of the CC. Zombie Pirhanas would seem be the preferred rune for group play with a good CC character like a palm-pull Monk or DMO/DelRasha Wizard.

3) A point of clarification: You said that Fetishes attack only when you do. This is only 21% true. The 5 closest Fetishes shoot darts only when you do; the other 18 still using daggers have their own attack animation speed independent of your shooting darts which would be boosted by Tasker & Theo, assuming T&T could be made to fit without breaking the build. More reason to wish for a Zuni belt, I suppose.

4) Gem selection: I feel the Gogok of Swiftness deserves mention to replace Esoteric Alteration for builds suffering from low DPS instead of squishiness (e.g. using a String of Ears in place of Witching Hour). It provides increased attack speed of up to 15% with a short spin-up time and reduces cooldowns at level 25.

You could also potentially work in Haunt: Poisoned Spirit. As a single-target spell it's suboptimal for clearing trash but the debuff applies to all sources of damage in group play, making elites and guardians a snap. Likewise, playing with an Inna's Monk you could potentially swap Esoteric Alteration for Gem of Efficacious Toxin. Its level 25 debuff applies to all sources of damage and between your piercing darts and a melee Fetish's habit of charging ahead you should be able to keep everything on screen debuffed.

Thanks for the suggestions! :) And yes, the fetish sentence really only applies to the 'powered up' fetishes - I could have worded it better. I assume you would replace Grasp of the Dead for Haunt in multi?

Thanks for the great guide! Just wondering, what do you mean when speaking about Weapon Socket not from Ram Gift?

Thanks for the great guide! Just wondering, what do you mean when speaking about Weapon Socket not from Ram Gift?

I meant prioritizing having a socket if you don't have a Ram's Gift - if you do, proceed to the next priority in the stat list. :)

Quick question is attack speed better on rings or intelligence. I've seen ppl use both and I wanted to know your thoughts.

How the hell are you using Big Bad Voodoo and Fetish Army at the same time ? Are they not both in the Voodoo tree ?

How can you use Big Bad Voodoo and Fetish army ? are they not both in the same skill tree ?

How the hell are you using Big Bad Voodoo and Fetish Army at the same time ? Are they not both in the Voodoo tree ?

No worries found it. Cant believe have played diablo for so long and didnt know how 

This is gonna rock your world (at least, it did for me):

Go to the Options menu, then Gameplay, and check off Elective Mode, that lets you assign skills however you want.

It's silly that it's not set that way by default.

Why do you pick the 3 extra fetishes not the two that shoot poison darts?

I am running 57ish Grifts and an AMAZING survival option I have found is instead of using SMK for the cube run Henri's Perquisition Mojo power(first time something hits you reduce it by 80 pct and charm them for 3 seconds). From 54 to 55 I shaved nearly 5 minutes first time I swapped it out. Now instead of being a complete glass cannon I'm rarely dying and able to handle most any mob packs. Most things are not living long enough for me to even use my Big Bad Voodoo and even when I do run into a tough pack with my passive Grave Injustice, the cooldown is up by the next pack. I guess when I get to the point that mobs outlast my BBV then there will be an issue but by that point I don't think I'll live long enough for it to matter.

Hi Deadset. Thanks for a great build.

Just one question. Found a mojo called "Wilken's reach" with 2 quite interesting stats

1.CHC 10%

2.Grasp of the Dead has no cooldown AND an extra 47% Grasp of the Dead damage.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to use this Mojo over Zuni, and then replacing Carnevil Head with Zuni head to keep 6 set bonus ? The only thing we would lose is the 5 fetishes shooting a poison dart every time I do.

Before 2.4 was released the cube ability for the weapon slot was always The Furnace (+50% damage to elites). Why did that change?

Hi Deadset. Thanks for a great build.

Just one question. Found a mojo called "Wilken's reach" with 2 quite interesting stats

1.CHC 10%

2.Grasp of the Dead has no cooldown AND an extra 47% Grasp of the Dead damage.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to use this Mojo over Zuni, and then replacing Carnevil Head with Zuni head to keep 6 set bonus ? The only thing we would lose is the 5 fetishes shooting a poison dart every time I do.

Carnevil is a centerpiece of the build. You would give up Mask of Jeram before you gave up Carnevil, but you shouldn't give up either. That Mojo is OK at best, and giving up either mask cripples the build.

Before 2.4 was released the cube ability for the weapon slot was always The Furnace (+50% damage to elites). Why did that change?

Pretty sure it hasn't, when I ran the build in Season 4, it was SMK/DoD. Those daggers are pretty mandatory, and always have been. Furnace can't compete, but it would be a solid choice while waiting for your SMK to drop.

Edited by Dallium

Hi Deadset,

I'd like to ask you if you think this variation of your build is viable. It works for me up to around T8. I found without the modifications to your build that my character was too squishy. With this setup, I'm able to go through rifts a lot more comfortably.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Pratt-1152/hero/54970274

I think I might swap out Starmetal Kukri with Dagger of darts for piercing attribute.

Let me know what you think!

-Pratt

Hi Deadset,

I'd like to ask you if you think this variation of your build is viable. It works for me up to around T8. I found without the modifications to your build that my character was too squishy. With this setup, I'm able to go through rifts a lot more comfortably.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Pratt-1152/hero/54970274

I think I might swap out Starmetal Kukri with Dagger of darts for piercing attribute.

Let me know what you think!

-Pratt

I found that even with the squishyness, your build variant is better. Thanks for your hard work!

I found that even with the squishyness, your build variant is better. Thanks for your hard work!

Heya, I must have missed your variation! Glad mine works out for you though.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor